New 7'3" Chinese phenom to be next Yao Ming

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

anthoang
Junior
And1: 15

New 7'3" Chinese phenom to be next Yao Ming 

Post#1 » by anthoang » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:55 pm

I have created a new website for Zhou Qi http://ZhouQiMania.com because I believe he will be the next great hope for Asian basketball. I have been following his mock draft status. He has been rising on the mock draft boards. He is projected to be a 1st round pick in 2016.

He doesn't play like Yao Ming though. he's skinny, but agile and plays more like a SF.

You can see more details on the website.
"You can't stop Jeremy Lin fans. You can only hope to contain them."

http://AsianPlayers.com
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: New 7'3" Chinese phenom to be next Yao Ming 

Post#2 » by Mattya » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:04 pm

I like him. If he is given time to gain some weight he could be a nice player. He was measured at 7'2 with shoes on at the hoop summit over the summer.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#3 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:05 pm

I like him too. Has Gobert-esque measurements, flashes actual skill, and doesn't look like an oaf. Just needs to fill out a bit.

Mental part of the game is probably the big question mark. Hasn't there been a few red flags with his attitude?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#4 » by fendilim » Tue Nov 3, 2015 5:28 am

Too skinny but his legs are built like a trunk already.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#5 » by RookieStar » Fri Nov 6, 2015 10:38 pm

I dunno how he would do against Euro bigs.. not to mention NBA bigs. China's bigs doesn't really tell much about competition.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#6 » by sisibilio » Sat Nov 7, 2015 10:28 am

been there, done that
i agree he's nothing like Yao, more similar to the youn Gasol (Pau) although even skinnier.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#7 » by username_taken » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:36 pm

I don't think he's just like Yao, but I'd love the Celtics to pick him up next year. Draft and stash, have him get an NBA-ready body, and I think Zhou will be a real good player.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#8 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm

He's another Kristaps type player, except he looks even skinnier in his videos. Guy needs to eat! But he's an interesting prospect, if he can gain some weight at the very least he should be a decent shot blocker with his size and mobility.

But he's playing in the same league Mudiay did last year and the same one Blatche is dominating, in fact Blatche is on his team. They're 6-0

Nevertheless he's averaging some impressive stats through 8 games.. keep in mind the competition isn't great ^

32 mins per game, 16 ppg, 69.4% FG, 4-5 threes 80%, 61% ft, 9.5 reb, and 4 blocks!
iAdoreeKnicks
Analyst
And1: 5,105

Post#9 » by iAdoreeKnicks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 pm

He's going to be drafted high because of the potential Porzingis has shown so far in the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:34 am

CP3Melo wrote:He's going to be drafted high because of the potential Porzingis has shown so far in the NBA.

I agree, but he should be a late first. He'll never be a successful starter in the NBA. If I'm wrong about this let me know because I'll eat my own words in this case. He's going to get bullied his entire career.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:03 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
CP3Melo wrote:He's going to be drafted high because of the potential Porzingis has shown so far in the NBA.

I agree, but he should be a late first. He'll never be a successful starter in the NBA. If I'm wrong about this let me know because I'll eat my own words in this case. He's going to get bullied his entire career.

I'm going to eat my own words because I think he's a lot better than I initially thought. I didn't realize how quick he was for a guy 7'2. He's only a step behind Porzingis in speed and lacks a first step, but he's pretty athletic for a guy that big. I actually think he's really underrated after watching Porzingis and Noel. You could definitely get away with playing him PF and he could definitely succeed doing that. Since this is a weak draft, I think he should be a lottery pick and I think other scouts are going to fall in love with him when they get him at the combine and he does workouts.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#12 » by Kabookalu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:11 am

Wow, physically this kid looks fantastic. Though I have concerns, and they may seem archaic, ridiculous, and mostly prejudicial, but mostly it has to do with him growing up in China. I don't know what it is about Chinese grown players, but they play in a way that makes them feel like they were bred within a basketball factory. They seem so manufactured like they went to one hundred basketball training camps but never played at the parks. I was one of the few guys high on Yi Jianlian, bought into the hype of him being the Chinese Pau Gasol. His feel for the game was completely awful though and he washed out of the league pretty quickly (a lot of that has to do with his questionable age, but regardless he would have stuck around if he didn't seem so lost on the basketball court).

I don't know much about Zhou Qi outside of the videos I've watched of him in the past hour, but the concerns seem to resonate mine. I'm hoping that since he's still young, he can come over and develop his instincts.
Read on Twitter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:40 am

Choker wrote:Wow, physically this kid looks fantastic. Though I have concerns, and they may seem archaic, ridiculous, and mostly prejudicial, but mostly it has to do with him growing up in China. I don't know what it is about Chinese grown players, but they play in a way that makes them feel like they were bred within a basketball factory. They seem so manufactured like they went to one hundred basketball training camps but never played at the parks. I was one of the few guys high on Yi Jianlian, bought into the hype of him being the Chinese Pau Gasol. His feel for the game was completely awful though and he washed out of the league pretty quickly (a lot of that has to do with his questionable age, but regardless he would have stuck around if he didn't seem so lost on the basketball court).

I don't know much about Zhou Qi outside of the videos I've watched of him in the past hour, but the concerns seem to resonate mine. I'm hoping that since he's still young, he can come over and develop his instincts.

His big concerns are strength, frame and he's super soft. If he goes to a team like the Timberwolves it would be perfect. He doesn't have to grab boards of be on the block on a team with Towns and Wiggins. He could be a pick and pop guy and can stand on the peremeter. However the other team could dominate him in the low post... But he's still 7'2 and can jump a little. Could be a good pick and roll defender as well as weakside. He also doesn't really have a great feel for the game. Qi can be a valuable player in the way that PorIngis is right now without being as good or having as much upside.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#14 » by Kabookalu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:45 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Choker wrote:Wow, physically this kid looks fantastic. Though I have concerns, and they may seem archaic, ridiculous, and mostly prejudicial, but mostly it has to do with him growing up in China. I don't know what it is about Chinese grown players, but they play in a way that makes them feel like they were bred within a basketball factory. They seem so manufactured like they went to one hundred basketball training camps but never played at the parks. I was one of the few guys high on Yi Jianlian, bought into the hype of him being the Chinese Pau Gasol. His feel for the game was completely awful though and he washed out of the league pretty quickly (a lot of that has to do with his questionable age, but regardless he would have stuck around if he didn't seem so lost on the basketball court).

His big concerns are strength, frame and he's super soft. If he goes to a team like the Timberwolves it would be perfect. He doesn't have to grab boards of be on the block on a team with Towns and Wiggins. He could be a pick and pop guy and can stand on the peremeter. However the other team could dominate him in the low post... But he's still 7'2 and can jump a little. Could be a good pick and roll defender as well as weakside. He also doesn't really have a great feel for the game. Qi can be a valuable player in the way that PorIngis is right now without being as good or having as much upside.

Developing next to a budding star in Towns as your center mate would probably be the most ideal scenario for him to be on; not as much pressure to perform, all the room to grow. I hope the Raptors take a look at him too, he's the kind of guy that would compliment Valanciunas a ton if he fills out.

Read on Twitter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:53 am

Choker wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Developing next to a budding star in Towns as your center mate would probably be the most ideal scenario for him to be on; not as much pressure to perform, all the room to grow. I hope the Raptors take a look at him too, he's the kind of guy that would compliment Valanciunas a ton if he fills out.

That's the issue. He likely won't fill out.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#16 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:40 am

His frame is horrible. I'll pass.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#17 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:00 am

King Ken wrote:His frame is horrible. I'll pass.

Zhou Qi has elite measurements though; 7'2" tall with a 7'6" wingspan. Those measurements are insane. However, he is very, very skinny. Like "skin and bones" skinny. It has it's benefits, for example he is pretty quick for his size and can jump a bit. But there's no doubt he needs to bulk up. The dude has great potential but he has a lot of work ahead for him to reach it.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#18 » by King Ken » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:

Zhou Qi has elite measurements though; 7'2" tall with a 7'6" wingspan. Those measurements are insane. However, he is very, very skinny. Like "skin and bones" skinny. It has it's benefits, for example he is pretty quick for his size and can jump a bit. But there's no doubt he needs to bulk up. The dude has great potential but he has a lot of work ahead for him to reach it.

I don't see the bulk up in his frame. I don't even see the advanced skill either. He looks like a quicker Wang Zhi Zhi but Zhi Zhi had a below average frame. This guy has Brandan Wright's frame.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#19 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:00 am

King Ken wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:

I don't see the bulk up in his frame. I don't even see the advanced skill either. He looks like a quicker Wang Zhi Zhi but Zhi Zhi had a below average frame. This guy has Brandan Wright's frame.

Zhou Qi is still 7'2" with a 7'6" wingspan and can move pretty quick. His feel for the game isn't the best but he does have a decent jumpshot. I think he's worth a look in the lottery. My biggest question mark is if he has the ambition to become great. The culture change and spotlight of playing in the NBA could also be a challenge and I'm not sure if he's the type to embrace it or fold. Either way, I'm excited to see how he does in the coming years.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#20 » by CjayC » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:57 am

Not a lot to go off of, but his weaknesses video is pretty disturbing to me.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvkJoNjTBd4[/youtube]

His effort kind of sucks to me at least defensively. I dunno if it's the coaching or what but he looks totally uninterested defensively and he's not an active rebounder just lets them fall into his lap because he's tall. Also he doesn't really have a frame that will ever allow him to properly bang and hold position in the post offensively and defensively. That's a huge concern because most of the time it's something you either have or don't. He can get stronger to hold position a little better and he can learn to adapt his length advantage, but from what I see here he doesn't have the intensity that would fill in that hole like an Anthony Davis or even Porzingis so his frame will always be a knock on him unless he shows something else.

He'll be reduced to just shooting face up jumpers with an occasional quick hook when he can exploit his length advantage in the NBA unless some team has a really good plan for him to follow. Like someone else said the best position for him is a team that already has some established big guys that can anchor defensively. Take some of that pressure defensively off of him and allow him to do his thing on the offensive side. Even then won't stop teams from trying to exploit that match. Intriguing, but some team will have their work cut cut out for them.

Return to NBA Draft