Brandon Ingram

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: Brandon Ingram 

Post#21 » by jpatrick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Played poorly his first game, no matter what the highlights say. Missed a ton of wide open threes (1-9) and didn't show any ability to beat his man off the dribble. While super skinny, his body did look better than last year and with his length/quickness, he at least has the look of a defensive stopper on the wing.

Saw most of his second game and while Ingram didn't show a lot of ability to beat his man, his shot was back and he knocked down most everything.

Anyone who compared him to Durant is crazy. Durant stepped on to campus at Texas and when Augustine would give him the ball, he always looked like the best player on the court. Ingram doesn't have that skill level. However, Ingram's only played two games and he is very young, almost 1.5 years younger than Skal and Simmons, so lets see where he goes from here.
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#22 » by ImChillin01 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:37 pm

jpatrick wrote:Played poorly his first game, no matter what the highlights say. Missed a ton of wide open threes (1-9) and didn't show any ability to beat his man off the dribble. While super skinny, his body did look better than last year and with his length/quickness, he at least has the look of a defensive stopper on the wing.

Saw most of his second game and while Ingram didn't show a lot of ability to beat his man, his shot was back and he knocked down most everything.

Anyone who compared him to Durant is crazy. Durant stepped on to campus at Texas and when Augustine would give him the ball, he always looked like the best player on the court. Ingram doesn't have that skill level. However, Ingram's only played two games and he is very young, almost 1.5 years younger than Skal and Simmons, so lets see where he goes from here.

Ingram is KD lite, just like Simmons is LeBron lite
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#23 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:Ingram is KD lite, just like Simmons is LeBron lite

yeah i think so too.
To what kind of careers that translates remains to be seen.

What is a KD lite? or a Lebron lite? We dont have those players really in the NBA right now so its hard to predict.

Kobe is MJ lite but does that mean Ingram and Simmons will still be top 20 of all time Players like Kobe? i honestly cant say. unlikley but i hope it^^ thats the fun too in watching young prospects.. imagining what they could become. The Potential is there with both Ingram and Simmons.. its up to them and good fortune(health etc) if they can reach it
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#24 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Ingram seems more plugged defensively that what I recall from Durant, at the same time Kevin played a ton of C for Texas that season, Ingram seems a bit more in the TPrince/Porter side of the spectrum than Durants, not saying that he is that team first guy, but he score that way, cuts, open shots, uses his length in defense, he has some stuff of what Kawhi is doing right now too.
A bit more down to earth Durant, in terms of scoring, but better defensively, he is, or looks to me, quicker or more agile when he is tunned in terms of defending small players, I could see him playing the SG eventually, something that I never thought about Durant, who I think will be better as a PF moving forward.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#25 » by Undefeated » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Fischella wrote:Ingram seems more plugged defensively that what I recall from Durant, at the same time Kevin played a ton of C for Texas that season, Ingram seems a bit more in the TPrince/Porter side of the spectrum than Durants, not saying that he is that team first guy, but he score that way, cuts, open shots, uses his length in defense, he has some stuff of what Kawhi is doing right now too.
A bit more down to earth Durant, in terms of scoring, but better defensively, he is, or looks to me, quicker or more agile when he is tunned in terms of defending small players, I could see him playing the SG eventually, something that I never thought about Durant, who I think will be better as a PF moving forward.

Ya, Coach K has him at the top of their defense a lot of times when Duke goes into a 1-2-2 press. He's been getting a lot of deflections and guys have a hard time getting past him.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#26 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm

How is he different from Quincy Miller? For those that were familiar with Miller at the same stage.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Undefeated » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 am

QMiller was a lot slower and wasn't as nimble as Ingram. Ingram's lateral quickness is far superior. K has him playing a lot at the top of their 1-2-2 press.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#28 » by OleSchool » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 am

He didn't do anything offensively against Kentucky but, he was tuned in defensively
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#29 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:36 am

Not impressed so far.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#30 » by rumdiary » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Highlights vs Bryant

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p0c6Xo8nE[/youtube]
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#31 » by Marcus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm

OleSchool wrote:He didn't do anything offensively against Kentucky but, he was tuned in defensively

team as a whole missed a lot of shots they should have hit. Ingram missed some midrangers that are bunnies for him. Kennard missed some open looks.

just a bad game all-around for the squad.

Still don't understand why Derryck Thornton isn't starting at PG btw. Not sure what coach K is doing in that regard.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#32 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Marcus wrote:
OleSchool wrote:He didn't do anything offensively against Kentucky but, he was tuned in defensively

team as a whole missed a lot of shots they should have hit. Ingram missed some midrangers that are bunnies for him. Kennard missed some open looks.

Still don't understand why Derryck Thornton isn't starting at PG btw. Not sure what coach K is doing in that regard.

Thornton started last nights game and is supposed to start from here on out. Thornton reclassed so he spent all summer getting all the credits needed to join Duke this year. So he missed the entire summer with the team, so he has been playing catch up with learning the system and building chemistry. But he seems all caught up now and he is a big time game changer for us. We have no offensive flow when he is not in the game and he is a great on ball defender. When it comes to Ingram, he is becoming a big defensive liability especially on the ball, cant stay in front of his man. And offensively he has been beyond terrible for the year. He had one good game against a non top 200 team, either than that he is averaging less than 10 ppg on 27% shooting and 0.08% from 3 plus terrible free throw shooting.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Marcus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Thornton started last nights game and is supposed to start from here on out. Thornton reclassed so he spent all summer getting all the credits needed to join Duke this year. So he missed the entire summer with the team, so he has been playing catch up with learning the system and building chemistry. But he seems all caught up now and he is a big time game changer for us. We have no offensive flow when he is not in the game and he is a great on ball defender. When it comes to Ingram, he is becoming a big defensive liability especially on the ball, cant stay in front of his man. And offensively he has been beyond terrible for the year. He had one good game against a non top 200 team, either than that he is averaging less than 10 ppg on 27% shooting and 0.08% from 3 plus terrible free throw shooting.

Well Thornton starting is good news. Kiddo is the only legit PG they have on the roster and I figured with all the scoring around him he should be primed for a pretty good year. Watching that UK game he was the only defender capable of staying in front of Ulis and forcing him to take tough shots.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Well Thornton starting is good news. Kiddo is the only legit PG they have on the roster and I figured with all the scoring around him he should be primed for a pretty good year. Watching that UK game he was the only defender capable of staying in front of Ulis and forcing him to take tough shots.

Ya he is. The team needs him to play 35+ minutes a game. Ya defensively he looks like he is a stud on that end, he is lightening quick and moves his feet very well. He makes Duke a much much better team on both sides. It will be fun to watch this team grow this year
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Marcus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya he is. The team needs him to play 35+ minutes a game. Ya defensively he looks like he is a stud on that end, he is lightening quick and moves his feet very well. He makes Duke a much much better team on both sides. It will be fun to watch this team grow this year

same thing I was thinking. in watching that UK game you can see what's there with Duke this year. It just all needs to come together. Jeter needs to get tougher to stay on the floor seems like cause Plum and Amile aren't gonna be outworked down there. I think having a true PG and growing around Thornton should tie up whatever loose ends that seem to exist right now. Luke and Brandon's shots will start to fall and they should look like a completely different team come March.
Watch More Basketball

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Undefeated » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:58 am

Thronton struggled mightily to set up Duke's offense in the first 2 games and they were against inferior opponents and Coach K doesn't even run that complicate of an offense mostly Motion PNR. He also struggled to finish inside. He played well against UK but can't discount those 2 previous games.

I haven't watched the VCU game yet, but Ingram was caught guarding Murray/Briscoe a lot and you can't expect a guy like him to stay in front of them. He at least challenged Briscoe a few times from behind after he got beat.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#37 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:57 am

Doesn't look like a top 10 pick to me. Haven't seen anything good on either end of the floor but it's early.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 pm

Lost his starting spot and today he continued his awful play. Starting to think he is not a lock to be in this year's draft. He's been being horrible to start the year
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#39 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Lost his starting spot and today he continued his awful play. Starting to think he is not a lock to be in this year's draft. He's been being horrible to start the year

He needs one more year of strength training and to work on that jumper, that's for sure. He reminds me of Corey Brewer right now.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Lost his starting spot and today he continued his awful play. Starting to think he is not a lock to be in this year's draft. He's been being horrible to start the year

He needs one more year of strength training and to work on that jumper, that's for sure. He reminds me of Corey Brewer right now.

Ya definitely needs another year minimum to work on his body. He wouldn't see a second in the NBA with his body right now. Right now he's Corey Brewer is Brewer was terrible on the defensive end.

Return to NBA Draft