Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#381 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:To me, Pascal Siakam will be a huge steal and it doesn't make any sense to see him in second round in most mocks. I mean, DX has him at 54, WTF is this?
While he is 22 years old, he started playing basketball like 5 years ago, so he is not your classical old, limited upside prospect.
Almost 6'10, very long wingspan, a decent 8'11.5" standing reach, high motor, provides some rim protection, has proven he can shot it, good athlete. Plenty to like.

What I don't like about Siakam is his IQ and feel for the game. Yeah, he could do a lot and has potential to play two positions, but I'm also not convinced he can defend a lot of fours/wings.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#382 » by DrCoach » Wed May 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Isaiah Whitehead is somewhat underrated to me. Yea he is showing all the signs of a low IQ chucker, but the talent otherwise is pretty interesting. Excellent measurables for a combo guard (6'9 wingspan, 210 pounds) combined with good steal and elite block, hits 36% from 3 on one of the highest volumes in the class and looks to me like he might be #1 in the whole draft in "creating jumpshot attempts off the dribble" skill for whatever it's worth, looks like a talented passer if a hotshot. At what point do you accept the likelihood of him being a chucker type in the NBA for the probability compared to peers that at least that makes him a real player?

Reminds me of Dion Waiters
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#383 » by Moooose » Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:To me, Pascal Siakam will be a huge steal and it doesn't make any sense to see him in second round in most mocks. I mean, DX has him at 54, WTF is this?
While he is 22 years old, he started playing basketball like 5 years ago, so he is not your classical old, limited upside prospect.
Almost 6'10, very long wingspan, a decent 8'11.5" standing reach, high motor, provides some rim protection, has proven he can shot it, good athlete. Plenty to like.

To me, Siakam plays a like Mbah a Moute. It could be his ceiling that hurts his stock. Could be serviceable, but not much "obvious" upside, IMO.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#384 » by isiah_thomas » Wed May 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Briscoe going to back to kentucky
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,991

Post#385 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Moooose wrote:

To me, Siakam plays a like Mbah a Moute. It could be his ceiling that hurts his stock. Could be serviceable, but not much "obvious" upside, IMO.

No comparison really, Mbah a Moute is 6'7 with 8'7.5" standing reach, siakam is 6'9.5" with 8'11.5" reach and really long 7'3 wingspan, also siakam was a 20PPG+ in this season, for a guy who is supposed to lack skills that is remarkable, Moute never cracked 10PPG in college. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see some upside that many don't see. He should be a late first rounder at least.
Horrible takes since 2016
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#386 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 am

Malik Beasley
Malcolm Brogdon
Dorian Finney-Smith
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#387 » by Moooose » Thu May 26, 2016 4:21 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Moooose wrote:

No comparison really, Mbah a Moute is 6'7 with 8'7.5" standing reach, siakam is 6'9.5" with 8'11.5" reach and really long 7'3 wingspan, also siakam was a 20PPG+ in this season, for a guy who is supposed to lack skills that is remarkable, Moute never cracked 10PPG in college. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see some upside that many don't see. He should be a late first rounder at least.

Who do you compare Pascal Siakam to?

Mbah a Moute is 6-'8". In a UCLA team that had Darren Collison, Aaron Afflalo, Josh Shipp, then eventually Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook, he did not have to score much. There is upside, for Siakam. But not as high as the others'.
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#388 » by FreakMaster » Thu May 26, 2016 4:52 am

I can't figure out why Wyoming's Josh Adams isn't on mock draft list. He's listed @ 6'2", can shoot, drive, dish and score above the rim. Adams is Electric!

Why is AJ Hammons ranked as a mid 2nd rd'r? What a 23 yr old, 4 yr college student doesn't have an upside, while 24 yr old Euro rookies do? smh

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#389 » by jman3134 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 am

Josh Adams doesn't understand how to play the game of basketball. That is why he isn't being considered despite his gaudy stats. Plus-minus in situations I've seen is off the charts in a negative way.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#390 » by FecesOfDeath » Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 pm

The two guards from Wichita State -- Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker (rhymes with Thon Maker). It remains to be seen if they have the base level of athleticism to make it in the NBA, but they definitely have the mental toughness and skills to play at the next level.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#391 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:03 am

Just want to mention players on the rise during work outs:

- Marquese Chriss could end up being a top 5 pick (I said he should have been a while back when I saw him live), but apparently he's shooting and defending really well in workouts.
- Damian Jones can apparently shoot really well and a lot of scouts think he can be better in the NBA (also something I assumed, but I didn't think he'd have a jump shot) and could be late lotto to 20s.
- Thon Maker has cemented himself in the first round because he apparently had a really impressive workout.
- Talk of Dejounte Murray as a lotto pick
- Patrick McCaw playing much better as a point guard in work outs
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#392 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 am

doordoor123 wrote:Just want to mention players on the rise during work outs:

- Marquese Chriss could end up being a top 5 pick (I said he should have been a while back when I saw him live), but apparently he's shooting and defending really well in workouts.
- Damian Jones can apparently shoot really well and a lot of scouts think he can be better in the NBA (also something I assumed, but I didn't think he'd have a jump shot) and could be late lotto to 20s.
- Thon Maker has cemented himself in the first round because he apparently had a really impressive workout.

I think Chriss going to Minny could be a realistic outcome at this point. Mike Schmitz (DX) wrote on twitter today he thinks he could go Top 5 as well.

I saw Jones has shot up to #14 on DX's mock as well. That's a considerable move, I think he was at 20 or so before that.

McCaw should go high if he has PG skills, that's a revelation to me. Do you have a source for that one?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#393 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:24 am

GimmeDat wrote:

I think Chriss going to Minny could be a realistic outcome at this point. Mike Schmitz (DX) wrote on twitter today he thinks he could go Top 5 as well.

I saw Jones has shot up to #14 on DX's mock as well. That's a considerable move, I think he was at 20 or so before that.

McCaw should go high if he has PG skills, that's a revelation to me. Do you have a source for that one?

I was thinking Minnesota for Chriss as well. Makes so much sense.

This was from Twitter I think. If not, it was from Chad Ford in an article.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#394 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:01 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Chad Ford says the Suns are interested in Chriss.
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#395 » by janmagn » Sat May 28, 2016 1:19 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Imo the suns would more likely trade up from 13 than take him at 4

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Re: Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#396 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:23 pm

janmagn wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Imo the suns would more likely trade up from 13 than take him at 4

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Disagree. If he's not gone at 4 there's a chance he's taken at 5.
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#397 » by FreakMaster » Mon May 30, 2016 6:08 pm

jman3134 wrote:Josh Adams doesn't understand how to play the game of basketball. That is why he isn't being considered despite his gaudy stats. Plus-minus in situations I've seen is off the charts in a negative way.

Are you sure about this? According to Hollinger Josh Adams has a 26.78 PER which is good for 46th in college.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/hollinger/statistics
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#398 » by realEAST » Tue May 31, 2016 2:32 am

GimmeDat wrote:

Been watching some of his videos lately (not that I consider them that "objective") and am really starting to like him. If he improves his handles and off the dribble shooting, he could be very good player, quality starter.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,761

Post#399 » by Curmudgeon » Tue May 31, 2016 5:11 am

DrCoach wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Isaiah Whitehead is somewhat underrated to me. Yea he is showing all the signs of a low IQ chucker, but the talent otherwise is pretty interesting. Excellent measurables for a combo guard (6'9 wingspan, 210 pounds) combined with good steal and elite block, hits 36% from 3 on one of the highest volumes in the class and looks to me like he might be #1 in the whole draft in "creating jumpshot attempts off the dribble" skill for whatever it's worth, looks like a talented passer if a hotshot. At what point do you accept the likelihood of him being a chucker type in the NBA for the probability compared to peers that at least that makes him a real player?

Nah, he's more versatile than Waiters. Whitehead is extremely talented. He does it all: shoot the three, midrange game, great crossover, rebounds, passes, defends, understands the game. Tough kid with the alpha dog mentality. He wants the ball at the end of a close game. He's not afraid of the moment.

His problem is consistency. If you watch him against Butler or against Villanova in the Big East title game, he looks like a top 5 pick. If you watched him against Gonzaga, where he was 4 for 24 and 0 for 10 from beyond the arc, you think, maybe he should have stayed in school.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#400 » by DrCoach » Tue May 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Nah, he's more versatile than Waiters. Whitehead is extremely talented. He does it all: shoot the three, midrange game, great crossover, rebounds, passes, defends, understands the game. Tough kid with the alpha dog mentality. He wants the ball at the end of a close game. He's not afraid of the moment.

His problem is consistency. If you watch him against Butler or against Villanova in the Big East title game, he looks like a top 5 pick. If you watched him against Gonzaga, where he was 4 for 24 and 0 for 10 from beyond the arc, you think, maybe he should have stayed in school.

I think you are underrating Dion Waiters, Waiters was the #4 pick, he had a PER of 26.5 as a Soph

Whitehead is currently listed as the 56th pick on DE and had a soph college PER of 20.8

Return to NBA Draft