Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#641 » by Bakuto » Wed Mar 1, 2017 4:16 pm

CalL wrote:
Fischella wrote:I think Wagner should probably stay all 4 years honestly, he could make a roster and get a role eventually but I dont see how you draft a guy with his profile in the 1st.

I think everyone who regularly follows the "International Draft Prospects" threads gets it. You write the same about pretty much all german prospects, no reason to take your opinion on german talents seriously anymore. This is the first and last time i will say this, so that this thread wont end the same way the previous "Luka Doncic" thread did, but i just wanted to point it out for people who dont know how seriously they should take your opinion. Being biased is not a crime, its just bad if you dont admit it to yourself ...

About Wagner: From everything i heard about him, its very important for him to get a degree, so i am 99% sure that he wont declare unless he is a safe first rounder. I think we all agree that its very unlikely that any team can promise him that this year, so i would be more than surprised if he would declare this year.

Eh... Fischella might be a frustrating poster sometimes but he's never given me the vibe that he is prejudiced.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#642 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 3:06 am

Fischella wrote:Cam Oliver is still a sleeper I feel like, Jordan Bell too, those guys are good bets to be solid role players, heck Oliver might even be a starter, and they are likely going in the 2nd.

Yeah, he has a good bounciness and a strong frame.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#643 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Mar 2, 2017 4:26 am

Sorry if he's been talked about already, but Allonzo Trier down in Tucson should be a productive pro. His numbers look a lot like James Harden's did at ASU (not saying he'll be an MVP candidate, but his style of play is similar). Not afraid to assert himself, but doesn't overstep his abilities. He's currently around the second round, but come tourney time, he could jump into the first round. I think he can be a starting 2 guard in the NBA.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
rhrahkulk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Anyone a Derrick White fan? 

Post#644 » by rhrahkulk » Sat Mar 4, 2017 6:51 pm

deleted
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#645 » by jmnvcavs » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:43 pm

If you have ESPN3 tune into Nevada VS Colorado State 5PM PST. These two teams are playing for their regular season championship should be a couple decent looks at prospects with Cameron Oliver leading the way should be a fun game with a good atmosphere.
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#646 » by toussaud » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:38 pm

Jaylan Burford -pg Arkansas. Kid is legit. Elite ability to get to the rim. Has size u can't teach
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#647 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 6, 2017 5:59 am

MrMiyagi wrote:Sorry if he's been talked about already, but Allonzo Trier down in Tucson should be a productive pro. His numbers look a lot like James Harden's did at ASU (not saying he'll be an MVP candidate, but his style of play is similar). Not afraid to assert himself, but doesn't overstep his abilities. He's currently around the second round, but come tourney time, he could jump into the first round. I think he can be a starting 2 guard in the NBA.

He reminds me of Evan Turner

for whatever that is worth
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#648 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Mar 6, 2017 6:08 am

shawn_hemp wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Sorry if he's been talked about already, but Allonzo Trier down in Tucson should be a productive pro. His numbers look a lot like James Harden's did at ASU (not saying he'll be an MVP candidate, but his style of play is similar). Not afraid to assert himself, but doesn't overstep his abilities. He's currently around the second round, but come tourney time, he could jump into the first round. I think he can be a starting 2 guard in the NBA.

Zo shoots better than Turner does/did, and Turner is/was a better passer than Zo.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#649 » by RipCity71252 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 6:36 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:

Zo shoots better than Turner does/did, and Turner is/was a better passer than Zo.

Allonzo is a guy I'll be watching closely as his career moves along. Clearly has talent, but he won't be able to play they way he does at Arizona and seems to disengage offensively if he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

If he can change that and transition into being an off-ball scorer who can guard at the point of attack against NBA 1's and be a secondary playmaker, he becomes a lot more interesting to me.

His shot mechanics worry me though. He seems to do fine with the college 3, but I think the nba line will be a harder transition for him than his %'s indicate.

Kind of similar to what Austin Rivers had to go through.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#650 » by RipCity71252 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 6:40 am

Could only watch the 1st half of Cam Oliver vs Colorado State. He's the kind of prospect I'm always low on.

Undersized, immature offensive game, low motor...just can't get into those kind of players no matter what intriguing skills they might possess.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#651 » by RipCity71252 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 11:19 pm

He'll play all 4 years but I think Thomas Welsh has a long career as a 3rd center. High IQ, low mistake center who I think moves and jumps well for his size.

Consider me a fan.
Build4Banner18
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#652 » by Build4Banner18 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 12:28 am

RipCity71252 wrote:He'll play all 4 years but I think Thomas Welsh has a long career as a 3rd center. High IQ, low mistake center who I think moves and jumps well for his size.

Consider me a fan.

me as well. He hit a three last game. They say he's the best shooter on the team. He's goofy looking but he actually moves pretty good and is no slouch on defense. He reminds me of Justin Hamilton but he's better. Should be drafted some day.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#653 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:01 am

Build4Banner18 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:He'll play all 4 years but I think Thomas Welsh has a long career as a 3rd center. High IQ, low mistake center who I think moves and jumps well for his size.

Consider me a fan.

me as well. He hit a three last game. They say he's the best shooter on the team. He's goofy looking but he actually moves pretty good and is no slouch on defense. He reminds me of Justin Hamilton but he's better. Should be drafted some day.

I see a slower but smarter/bigger Tyler Zeller. They look alike, sure...but their offensive games are pretty similar too (good face up J, quick/efficient post games, although Tyler put the ball on the floor more and overall had a more advanced scoring sense.

The only thing hurting him is the fact that teams don't carry as many straight 5's as they used to. Some still have 2-3, but it's becoming less and less the case.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#654 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:13 am

Hot Take (I think): Jordan Bell (Pac-12 DPOY) is a terrible defender and shouldn't be drafted.

Creates events, but is a low IQ, and dare I say low motor defender on the whole. I honestly don't think I've seen a prospect give up position to hunt steals and blocks as much as he does. It's disgusting to watch.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#655 » by Marcus » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:33 pm

Speaking of Alonzo Trier.

Do you guys feel there is a massive gap in what he brings to the table compared to what Malik Monk brings to the table? If they switch Wildcat jerseys would their big boards rankings be the same?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#656 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 10:20 pm

Marcus wrote:Speaking of Alonzo Trier.

Do you guys feel there is a massive gap in what he brings to the table compared to what Malik Monk brings to the table? If they switch Wildcat jerseys would their big boards rankings be the same?

I think Monk's game is more easily translatable to the nba, even if it's as a bench scorer, but if you believe Allonzo can be a the self-creator he is in college plus guard 1's at the next level, then I could see it.

Their games are so different though that it's really tough to say for me.
pantalones
Junior
And1: 220

Post#657 » by pantalones » Wed Mar 8, 2017 2:59 pm

I am utterly perplexed how NWG isn't getting any love. He just dominated the WCC tournament putting up 20/6/4 against Pacific, 25/8/5 against Santa Clara and 22/6/6/6 in last nights championship victory over St. Mary's. The guy won WCC POY, put up 17ppg, 6 rebs and 5 assists for the season. Apparently there were over 22 scouts at the WCC tourney and the Spurs appear to be very high on him. The only reason that I can think of why he doesn't get more buzz is because he isn't a high flyer, or flashy, he's just great at everything, literally everything. If he does last until the Spurs at the end of the 1st round, he'll be a steal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67814/nigel-williams-goss
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#658 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 4:29 pm

pantalones wrote:I am utterly perplexed how NWG isn't getting any love. He just dominated the WCC tournament putting up 20/6/4 against Pacific, 25/8/5 against Santa Clara and 22/6/6/6 in last nights championship victory over St. Mary's. The guy won WCC POY, put up 17ppg, 6 rebs and 5 assists for the season. Apparently there were over 22 scouts at the WCC tourney and the Spurs appear to be very high on him. The only reason that I can think of why he doesn't get more buzz is because he isn't a high flyer, or flashy, he's just great at everything, literally everything. If he does last until the Spurs at the end of the 1st round, he'll be a steal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67814/nigel-williams-goss

He's going to be a first round pick, there's nothing to talk about.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#659 » by CptCrunch » Wed Mar 8, 2017 4:40 pm

pantalones wrote:I am utterly perplexed how NWG isn't getting any love. He just dominated the WCC tournament putting up 20/6/4 against Pacific, 25/8/5 against Santa Clara and 22/6/6/6 in last nights championship victory over St. Mary's. The guy won WCC POY, put up 17ppg, 6 rebs and 5 assists for the season. Apparently there were over 22 scouts at the WCC tourney and the Spurs appear to be very high on him. The only reason that I can think of why he doesn't get more buzz is because he isn't a high flyer, or flashy, he's just great at everything, literally everything. If he does last until the Spurs at the end of the 1st round, he'll be a steal.

Difficult to statistically scout. Went from 2 years of non-improvement (other than getting older and getting marginally better) in a mid-high tier conference to a breakout season in a non-competitive low tier conference.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nigel-williams-goss-1.html
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#660 » by shawn_hemp » Wed Mar 8, 2017 4:46 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:Hot Take (I think): Jordan Bell (Pac-12 DPOY) is a terrible defender and shouldn't be drafted.

Creates events, but is a low IQ, and dare I say low motor defender on the whole. I honestly don't think I've seen a prospect give up position to hunt steals and blocks as much as he does. It's disgusting to watch.

You could say that about most of the Oregon players tbh. Not sure if it's something he does naturally or if Dana Altman encourages that style of play

Dylan Ennis is probably their most reliable defender. Like when Lonzo Ball hit that deep 3 against Oregon to basically seal the game, Ennis actually played him about as well as someone could. Ball just made a shot I don't think he hits more than 3/10 times

And on the possession before that, Ennis made Ball drive to the basket and got zero help from Brooks or Bell who both just kind of watched Ball knowing full well he was about to go for a layup

At least foul him and send him to the line.

Low IQ and low motor might not be the most inaccurate description of Jordan Bell tbh. And those 2 things are a potentially disastrous combination.

The motor can change pretty easily, idk about the IQ part though

Return to NBA Draft