Any chance Ingram goes #1 before Simmons?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Re: Any chance Ingram goes #1 before Simmons? 

Post#141 » by nurseryc » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:10 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I'll say it again. This is a weak draft year, including the top. I've said all year neither Simmons or Ingram would go top 3 in the 17 draft. If I'm taking #1 I'm taking Ingram cause he can at least be a spot up 3 point shooter from day 1. The dude also has a really high potential but he is far from it. Which means he can easily be a bust. They both have big red flags in my opinion which is why I'm not in love with this draft at all. I think Simmons is a great passer, there is no denying that. But in today's age where you seem to either have to be able to spread the floor or protect the rim as a player, Simmons does neither. His shooting scares me which to me limits his potential which is again why I take Ingram. I can see the argument for why someone would take Simmons first and I couldn't blame them for doing that. But I think neither guy is even close to being a sure fire star, so give me the guy with the higher potential in Ingram

I have absolutely no trust in Ingram's outside shooting. His whole game is based on his supposed shooting ability yet his shot has completely deserted him.

He has only converted on 36/101 field goals over his last 7 games. This is a huge red flag only converting on 35% of his field goals. i don't see how Ingram is going to translate to anything but an effective role player at the next level.

The last 5 games he's made at least 2 3s in each game and all 5 games he's shot at least 40% from deep. So he's struggling to score at the rim right now, his jumper has been just fine. I also don't get why you say the only thing he does is shoot. The last month or so he's been a really good rebounder. Then there's the other side of the ball where he is a far superior and versatile defender than Simmons. Ingram can make an impact guarding out on the perimeter and in the paint with his length. He's a far superior shot blocker than Simmons even though Simmons is basically camped next to the rim for the majority of the game. You can make the argument the only thing Simmons does better than Ingram is pass abd rebound, and I think the rebounding difference isn't all that big

No, Ingram is in a massive shooting slump right now converting on just 35 of his last 101 field goals taken. Anywhere inside the three point line, Ingram has been absolutely atrocious especially given that his is taking a high volume of shots. He isn't just struggling to score at the rim, his outside shot anywhere inside the 3 point line has completely deserted him.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#142 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:05 am

nurseryc wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
I have absolutely no trust in Ingram's outside shooting. His whole game is based on his supposed shooting ability yet his shot has completely deserted him.

He has only converted on 36/101 field goals over his last 7 games. This is a huge red flag only converting on 35% of his field goals. i don't see how Ingram is going to translate to anything but an effective role player at the next level.

No, Ingram is in a massive shooting slump right now converting on just 35 of his last 101 field goals taken. Anywhere inside the three point line, Ingram has been absolutely atrocious especially given that his is taking a high volume of shots. He isn't just struggling to score at the rim, his outside shot anywhere inside the 3 point line has completely deserted him.

A sophmore who would be a lottery pick and multiple all star wing finished his season 53 of 157(34%) from the field in his last 12 games - His team lost 9 of those game - Can you guess the player?

Duke has won 6 of the 7 games during this cold streak with Ingram playing 268 of those 280 minutes - What's most important is the team winning and how his skills project to the next level. Keep in mind this is an 18 year old kid. He is the number one pick in the draft imo.
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#143 » by nurseryc » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

A sophmore who would be a lottery pick and multiple all star wing finished his season 53 of 157(34%) from the field in his last 12 games - His team lost 9 of those game - Can you guess the player?

Duke has won 6 of the 7 games during this cold streak with Ingram playing 268 of those 280 minutes - What's most important is the team winning and how his skills project to the next level. Keep in mind this is an 18 year old kid. He is the number one pick in the draft imo.

Duke still winning during Ingram's atrocious 35/101 from the field shooting woes over his last 7 games only accentuates the fact that Duke's roster is very talented and that they don;t need Ingram to win. Even with Ingram playing so many minutes and missing so many shots during that time, Duke has so much talent and depth that they are still able to win even with Ingram playing poorly. Grayson Allen is having one hell of a season and is clearly the teams best player.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#144 » by Rastas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:29 pm

TheBunk wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't be too pleased to have the first overall pick this year.

This place is so much comedy !

Just wait till you see the scrambling of several teams trying to get a look at that no1 pick.

Generational talents dont come around often.

The praises Simmonds gets from Kobe, Shaq , Magic and Lebron himself obviously mean little to you , but not to the true GM's with a chance at getting a hold of him.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#145 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:34 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Duke still winning during Ingram's atrocious 35/101 from the field shooting woes over his last 7 games only accentuates the fact that Duke's roster is very talented and that they don;t need Ingram to win. Even with Ingram playing so many minutes and missing so many shots during that time, Duke has so much talent and depth that they are still able to win even with Ingram playing poorly. Grayson Allen is having one hell of a season and is clearly the teams best player.

Your inability to see context and his impact outside of scoring is staggering - The player mentioned was Paul George by the way, 1.5 years older than Ingram at the time.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,606

Post#146 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:49 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Okay it makes sense now, you don't watch Duke games. I don't think anyone who has watched a Duke game this year has said "man this team is deep." Duke beat UNC with basically a 5 man rotation, they have basically played all year with a 6 man rotation. Ingram is basically needed for all 40 minutes every game, and one reason most Duke fans and most people who actually watch the games come out and say man Ingram played well even if he shot like 35% is because Duke relies on him to do so much more than just score. The only game as of late where Ingram was really bad was the Louisville game. Either than that, Ingram usually makes some sort of big impact even if his shot isn't falling.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#147 » by TKainZero » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:01 am

If you win the Lotto, I don't care who is on your team, you STFU and take Simmons.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#148 » by nurseryc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:05 am

TKainZero wrote:If you win the Lotto, I don't care who is on your team, you STFU and take Simmons.

yep that pretty much sums it up.

Simmons was outstanding again in the win against Florida today with another double double and converting on 10/12 from the free throw line and picking up 4 steals.

After a blazing start Ingram seems to be really struggling with his shot right now converting on only 35% (36/101)of his field goals in his last 7 games. A better question would be if there is any chance Murray, Poeltle, Brown or Dunn go number 2 over Ingram in the draft?
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#149 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:33 pm

nurseryc wrote:
TKainZero wrote:If you win the Lotto, I don't care who is on your team, you STFU and take Simmons.

Simmons was outstanding again in the win against Florida today with another double double and converting on 10/12 from the free throw line and picking up 4 steals.

After a blazing start Ingram seems to be really struggling with his shot right now converting on only 35% (36/101)of his field goals in his last 7 games. A better question would be if there is any chance Murray, Poeltle, Brown or Dunn go number 2 over Ingram in the draft?

Simmons took two jump shots in the win against Florida and he missed them both. The second one was an airball from 15 feet. So far, Simmons has taken a grand total of 37 jump shots this season and he has made 12 of them.

I hope that Ben Simmons ends up playing for your team, Nurseryc, instead of mine because I would hate to have you on my board all the time. You are worse than KJ McDaniels' mom.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#150 » by TKainZero » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

Simmons took two jump shots in the win against Florida and he missed them both. The second one was an airball from 15 feet. So far, Simmons has taken a grand total of 37 jump shots this season and he has made 12 of them.

I hope that Ben Simmons ends up playing for your team, Nurseryc, instead of mine because I would hate to have you on my board all the time. You are worse than KJ McDaniels' mom.

You don't need to be a jump shooter to be an effective NBA player.

Look at draymond green last night.
Didn't make a fg from the floor.
14 rbs
14 assists
6 blocks
4 steals

I have faith that even if Simmons is a worse shooter than Rubio/rondo, he will still find ways to meaningfully impact the game, and help his team win.

If Simmons can hit a open jump shot in 5 years, then that is a bonus.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#151 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:49 pm

TKainZero wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

You don't need to be a jump shooter to be an effective NBA player.

Look at draymond green last night.
Didn't make a fg from the floor.
14 rbs
14 assists
6 blocks
4 steals

I have faith that even if Simmons is a worse shooter than Rubio/rondo, he will still find ways to meaningfully impact the game, and help his team win.

If Simmons can hit a open jump shot in 5 years, then that is a bonus.

Simmons is a worse jump shooter then Rondo and Rubio. You know what else? He shoots 96% of his shots with his right hand. The lefty only shoots left-handed free throws and he doesn't do that well either. When he gets to the NBA and tries to rely exclusively on scoring with his right hand in the paint, he's not going to have a lot of success and if his defense doesn't improve dramatically, he's going to find himself sitting on the bench.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#152 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Video Comparison/Analysis: Ingram vs Simmons

Three minutes into this video, take a good hard look at Ben Simmons' jump shot. Nurseryc, THIS MEANS YOU!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhdoz9LVYjM&ebc=ANyPxKpej5i7l9A2i-gpvqDKlLBXHP7mOhxa1X_ex3WdwgXdNU34gkleaNrP0anbeR45MVaaWu4bVQr0hJOxZPUN1f9m_oMIzw
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#153 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
Simmons is a worse jump shooter then Rondo and Rubio. You know what else? He shoots 96% of his shots with his right hand. The lefty only shoots left-handed free throws and he doesn't do that well either. When he gets to the NBA and tries to rely exclusively on scoring with his right hand in the paint, he's not going to have a lot of success and if his defense doesn't improve dramatically, he's going to find himself sitting on the bench.

Stop it. Especially Rubio is almost comically horrible at Shooting
Ben is just not shooting many jumpers that does not mean he absolutly cannot make them.

Actually he made 32.5% of them. If he can make 1/3 Jumpers in the NBA people will have to respect his jumper at least a bit.
He will never be a good Shooter.. but around 33% is solid enough to keep defenses from totally ignoring you as a shooter

You dont want him to go 2/6 on wide open threes(if he can hit 33% of NBA threes one day). Thats not bad enough to leave wide open.

You do a great job of ignoring that he is unstoppable finishing in the Paint. He is ambidexterous.. he can totally train on using his other hand more.

You also Ignore the solid Post Game, Hooks,Floaters etc.. He is also already pretty strong at 230+ .. He can get to 260-270 once he matures.. He can be a good Post Player

Oh and you seemingly have not understand what Ben is truly about.. His Scoring is not his selling Point.. not at all. His ultimate Versaitility is.

He will not be a Lebron or Durant level Scorer. not even close.
He is much closer to a modern Magic then Lebron ever was.

Elite Athletism for a Guy his Size - Check: Fast as Hell,can Jump and is crazy agile and has great Body Control
Handling,Passing,Vision - Check: exellent Handley, Best 6'10 Passer ever propably.
Rebounding - Very good Rebounder, fundamentally sound Rebounder.

If he has as great of a work ethic as reported(NBA Scout compared his drive to Kobe's).. he will be a 15/7/5 guy his rookie year a Peak of 24/10/7 and a Career stat line of 19/8/6 ..
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#154 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:58 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:

Stop it. Especially Rubio is almost comically horrible at Shooting
Ben is just not shooting many jumpers that does not mean he absolutly cannot make them.

Actually he made 32.5% of them. If he can make 1/3 Jumpers in the NBA people will have to respect his jumper at least a bit.
He will never be a good Shooter.. but around 33% is solid enough to keep defenses from totally ignoring you as a shooter

You dont want him to go 2/6 on wide open threes(if he can hit 33% of NBA threes one day). Thats not bad enough to leave wide open.

You do a great job of ignoring that he is unstoppable finishing in the Paint. He is ambidexterous.. he can totally train on using his other hand more.

You also Ignore the solid Post Game, Hooks,Floaters etc.. He is also already pretty strong at 230+ .. He can get to 260-270 once he matures.. He can be a good Post Player

Oh and you seemingly have not understand what Ben is truly about.. His Scoring is not his selling Point.. not at all. His ultimate Versaitility is.

He will not be a Lebron or Durant level Scorer. not even close.
He is much closer to a modern Magic then Lebron ever was.

Elite Athletism for a Guy his Size - Check: Fast as Hell,can Jump and is crazy agile and has great Body Control
Handling,Passing,Vision - Check: exellent Handley, Best 6'10 Passer ever propably.
Rebounding - Very good Rebounder, fundamentally sound Rebounder.

If he has as great of a work ethic as reported(NBA Scout compared his drive to Kobe's).. he will be a 15/7/5 guy his rookie year a Peak of 24/10/7 and a Career stat line of 19/8/6 ..

I think Simmons is a tremendous prospect for his rebounding, ball handling and passing abilities. He is a "10" in those areas. At LSU, Simmons has shot 96% of all his shots with his right hand so his ambidexterity does not apply to his actual shooting. As I said days ago, Simmons' D is questionable. The combination of shooting and defensive issues and his team's poor performance certainly provide enough questions for the CHANCE THAT INGRAM GOES #1 BEFORE SIMMONS. That has been my point all along.

There are fewer questions about Ingram's demonstrated talents which translate directly to the modern NBA where he will enjoy elite length at either the SG or SF position from day one. Ingram is also 14 months younger than Ben.

There is definitely a chance that Ingram goes number one. He probably should.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#155 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
nurseryc wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I'll say it again. This is a weak draft year, including the top. I've said all year neither Simmons or Ingram would go top 3 in the 17 draft. If I'm taking #1 I'm taking Ingram cause he can at least be a spot up 3 point shooter from day 1. The dude also has a really high potential but he is far from it. Which means he can easily be a bust. They both have big red flags in my opinion which is why I'm not in love with this draft at all. I think Simmons is a great passer, there is no denying that. But in today's age where you seem to either have to be able to spread the floor or protect the rim as a player, Simmons does neither. His shooting scares me which to me limits his potential which is again why I take Ingram. I can see the argument for why someone would take Simmons first and I couldn't blame them for doing that. But I think neither guy is even close to being a sure fire star, so give me the guy with the higher potential in Ingram

The last 5 games he's made at least 2 3s in each game and all 5 games he's shot at least 40% from deep. So he's struggling to score at the rim right now, his jumper has been just fine. I also don't get why you say the only thing he does is shoot. The last month or so he's been a really good rebounder. Then there's the other side of the ball where he is a far superior and versatile defender than Simmons. Ingram can make an impact guarding out on the perimeter and in the paint with his length. He's a far superior shot blocker than Simmons even though Simmons is basically camped next to the rim for the majority of the game. You can make the argument the only thing Simmons does better than Ingram is pass abd rebound, and I think the rebounding difference isn't all that big

Simmons doubles him on rebounds because he has a better bigger, stronger core. He is 40 lbs heavier than Ingram, that is about 2 positions in the NBA. It is an unkwown if Ingram will ever get over 220. Otto Porter didn't. Trevor Ariza didn't. Let's not dismiss this HUGE advantage Simmons has over Ingram of handles, raw strength, and athleticism.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#156 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:47 am

It seems to me, that except for a very few people, this draft class is led by two players: Simmons & Ingram. Neither one is playing at NBA MVP level in college, so both are a gamble, which is usual with drafting. The Trailblazers passed on Jordan because they had Drexler - not a bad choice at the time, or so it seemed. This could be one of those situations. Simmons & Ingram are apples & oranges and frankly, I'd take either. My problem is, if the Nuggets end up third, who do they pick? lol
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#157 » by jangles86 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 9:09 am

Surely there's little doubt now.

Ben Simmons will be the number 1 draft selection no matter which team has the pick.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#158 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 3, 2016 10:57 am

jangles86 wrote:Surely there's little doubt now.

Ben Simmons will be the number 1 draft selection no matter which team has the pick.

It is sorta' funny that most of the big name so-called experts (meaning they guess better than most), all say that Simmons goes number one no matter who is choosing, except maybe Philadelphia - but no one can guess what they will do.

It seems like they've also decided Ingram is number two - and they can't agree on much else and that's the truth. LOL
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#159 » by RationalGaze » Thu Mar 3, 2016 11:52 am

NuggetsWY wrote:It seems to me, that except for a very few people, this draft class is led by two players: Simmons & Ingram. Neither one is playing at NBA MVP level in college, so both are a gamble, which is usual with drafting. The Trailblazers passed on Jordan because they had Drexler - not a bad choice at the time, or so it seemed. This could be one of those situations. Simmons & Ingram are apples & oranges and frankly, I'd take either. My problem is, if the Nuggets end up third, who do they pick? lol

You do the same thing as the Wolves/Suns/Celtics would do and take Dragan unless your team can play Nurkic and Jokic together then Murray. Dragan goes number 1 if Celtics or Wolves get the pick.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,101

Post#160 » by JB2 » Fri Mar 4, 2016 4:52 am

RationalGaze wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:It seems to me, that except for a very few people, this draft class is led by two players: Simmons & Ingram. Neither one is playing at NBA MVP level in college, so both are a gamble, which is usual with drafting. The Trailblazers passed on Jordan because they had Drexler - not a bad choice at the time, or so it seemed. This could be one of those situations. Simmons & Ingram are apples & oranges and frankly, I'd take either. My problem is, if the Nuggets end up third, who do they pick? lol

You do the same thing as the Wolves/Suns/Celtics would do and take Dragan unless your team can play Nurkic and Jokic together then Murray. Dragan goes number 1 if Celtics or Wolves get the pick.

Dragan is going number one under no circumstances.

Minny passes on Towns/Simmons/Wiggins/Lavine/Rubio ??

- NO

Celtics pass on Simmons (only franchise level player)

- NO

Sixers?

- NO

Lakers? Even with Randle there and Ingram being the perfect fit...

- NO

Suns?

- NO

Pelicans pass on Davis and Simmons?

- NO

Come on man. Nobody passes on Simmons. IF for whatever reason they did, it's only for Ingram and for some reason that nobody would agree with. Bender has no shot at going #1.

Return to NBA Draft