Domantas Sabonis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#61 » by Winglish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:27 pm

Nuggets18 wrote:Favors get a couple a game, but he isnt a presence. Gobert is a presence

Ibaka i agree with. But thats two teams out of 30..

:noway: :nonono:
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#62 » by eathb_au » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:47 pm

NBADraft has released his draft profile and given him a Scola/MGasol comparison.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#63 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:He seems stronger than he looks. First off if 238 pounds (Nike Skills Academy) is correct that is quite a bit for 6'10 player. Secondly look at what he did to Poeltl, along with his post up success against other players

If you'd watched his father play, you wouldn't be surprised if he was stronger than he looks. No doubt he is much stronger than he looks, but if you watch how he plays, he does not use force and brute strength, he uses his brains. Although he doesn't let people push him around. ;-)
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#64 » by Leprechaun18 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:14 am

He had a good game against Utah, but Poeltl was limited in that game because he was denied the ball and got into foul trouble. In addition he had a tweaked ankle. You need to look at the tape.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#65 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:26 am

I think if anyone has "Draymond Green" potential, it's Sabonis.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#66 » by Notanoob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I think if anyone has "Draymond Green" potential, it's Sabonis.

How? Green was a lengthy but short defensive monster with limited offensive utility outside of his passing. Sabonis is a tall inside scoring machine with T-rex arms. They're opposites as players!
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#67 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Notanoob wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if anyone has "Draymond Green" potential, it's Sabonis.

How? Green was a lengthy but short defensive monster with limited offensive utility outside of his passing. Sabonis is a tall inside scoring machine with T-rex arms. They're opposites as players!

IQ and motor makes that comparison I guess.
Rappid
Junior
And1: 453

Post#68 » by Rappid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Notanoob wrote:

Defensive monster? Are we talking pre-draft? From what I remember Green was regarded as a "not quick or athletic" (hello Domas), "too small" (too short in Domas's case), but a guy with heart and intangibles (well hello again Domas!). I'm not saying he will even sniff Greens level, but the comparisons are somewhat similar you have to say.

But I applaud you for your knowledge, as your assessment of current Domas is fairly accurate, some draft sites compare him to Psyho T.. I have no words when I read that trash..
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#69 » by Von Bismarck » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 pm

In best case scenario, I see Sabonis as a good role player. I just can't see how could he possibly be better than that.

Having that in mind, I'd take him with mid-first and that's as high as I would go tbh.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#70 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:32 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Notanoob wrote:

IQ and motor makes that comparison I guess.

I think he can be as smart as Green defensively, I think he can run down the floor a lot quicker than a lot of PFs can, he's really strong for a smaller guy and if he can hit threes he's going to have a complete offensive game. The only difference would be length and Getting steals/blocks. Still, if he can muscle guys and be smart about it I think he can be a very good defender. The reason I think he can be a Draymond Green is because he's already really intelligent, he's still pretty young and he's as tough as they come. Once he puts on some NBA muscle, watch out!
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#71 » by saintEscaton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Sabonis projects to be a slightly undersized rotational 5, despite his lack of length he can body up traditional bigs and is hard to back down in the low post. He just doesn't have the fast twitch foot speed to be able to hang with perimeter oriented Stretch 4s
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Domantas Sabonis 

Post#72 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 1, 2016 10:32 am

sv-x-as wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:He doesn't look taller to me. I kinda can't believe this comparison hasn't been made yet, since he is Lithuanian and all. Darius Songaila?

He is way way more skilled then Songaila, has better motor and has a fight in him. Songaila was better shooter though.

I don't know about young Sabonis but I think you're selling Darius Songaila way short. Songaila would flourish in today's small ball NBA because he was highly skilled.

I watched Songaila from his days at Wake Forest all the way to his games as a Wizard. In the Princeton sets Songaila was effective as an undersized C. He was like a poor man's Draymond Green. Very versatile.
Bye bye Beal.
Rappid
Junior
And1: 453

Post#73 » by Rappid » Sun May 1, 2016 11:04 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sv-x-as wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:He doesn't look taller to me. I kinda can't believe this comparison hasn't been made yet, since he is Lithuanian and all. Darius Songaila?

He is way way more skilled then Songaila, has better motor and has a fight in him. Songaila was better shooter though.

I don't know about young Sabonis but I think you're selling Darius Songaila way short. Songaila would flourish in today's small ball NBA because he was highly skilled.

I watched Songaila from his days at Wake Forest all the way to his games as a Wizard. In the Princeton sets Songaila was effective as an undersized C. He was like a poor man's Draymond Green. Very versatile.

There is a legend in Lithuania stating Darius came home in the off season and had a meet with his first coach.. The strory goes in a sprint session he completely outran every single guard on the team.. I mean the dude was 6'8-6'9 maybe but I can believe that..
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#74 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 3, 2016 12:22 am

Rappid wrote:There is a legend in Lithuania stating Darius came home in the off season and had a meet with his first coach.. The strory goes in a sprint session he completely outran every single guard on the team.. I mean the dude was 6'8-6'9 maybe but I can believe that..

I believe it.

I loved watching ACC basketball back when Songaila was Wake's big man; Boozer was Duke's big man; and, Lonny Baxter was among Maryland's bigs.

Songaila was one of my favorite ACC players.
Bye bye Beal.
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#75 » by sv-x-as » Thu May 5, 2016 9:06 am

saintEscaton wrote:Sabonis projects to be a slightly undersized rotational 5, despite his lack of length he can body up traditional bigs and is hard to back down in the low post. He just doesn't have the fast twitch foot speed to be able to hang with perimeter oriented Stretch 4s

what the hell are you talking about. His amazing footwork and his ability to defend perimeter are his best assets.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#76 » by Damkac » Thu May 5, 2016 10:12 am

Looking at his videos almost all of his points he gets in the paint. I wonder if its team strategy to keep him near basket or he can't shoot. He made 5 of his 14 3pt attempts this year (didn't had any last year) so there is hope he can develop reliable jumper.
Another thing that bothers me is that he seems to be playing against shorter players on those videos. Will he be so good rebounder and post scorer against taller players?
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#77 » by saintEscaton » Sat May 7, 2016 2:54 am

sv-x-as wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:Sabonis projects to be a slightly undersized rotational 5, despite his lack of length he can body up traditional bigs and is hard to back down in the low post. He just doesn't have the fast twitch foot speed to be able to hang with perimeter oriented Stretch 4s

what the hell are you talking about. His amazing footwork and his ability to defend perimeter are his best assets.

His lateral agility is fine against PnR, not sure if he has the straightline acceleration to close out tho
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#78 » by King Ken » Sat May 7, 2016 10:43 am

Sabonis and Ploetl will move up once coaches start getting deep into the tape and the workouts. Both of them are modern NBA like bigs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#79 » by Mirotic12 » Sat May 7, 2016 5:53 pm

Fischella wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:I think he projects as a solid backup center, seeing some Tiago Splitter. Has a relentless motor and is a cerebral playmaker in the post but isn't a faceup threat and lacks a polished back to the basket reperotire, kinda relies on bullyball which won't tranlsate in the NBA . He has some some ability to finish with his right hand which is promising. Hoever his wingpsan is only .5 inches more than his 6'10 height which really lowers his upside

Splitter was a elite defender against PF, I can see that, offensively I think Splitter has more finesse but if Domas develops a jumper he might not need that, and he is a better passer.

The only thing Splitter could ever do on offense was finish on pick and rolls created by elite pick and roll masters. His all around offensive game has always been atrocious.

franckyvinvin12 wrote:I saw a comparison with Luis Scola, I can definitely see it.

Scola's offensive game is light years better than Sabonis'. I don't see any similarity at all.

UcanUwill wrote:Domantas is PF for sure, and I am exited for him at FIBA level. But NBA, I don't know, even in his highlights looks very underwhelming as NBA prospect. Doesn't have the length at all, exclusively below the rim player. He has a very low ceiling, people compare him to Scola, Scola is his best case scenario I think.

Scola isn't his best case scenario. Scola is so vastly superior offensively and in skills, that there is no way Sabonis is going to be as good as him. He might get a role similar to Scola, or bigger. He might have similar numbers, and maybe better. The N BA is all about getting in the right team, right situation, and with the right coach and system.

But I can guarantee Sabonis will never be as good of a player as Scola. At least not as good as Scola was once he developed a mid range jumper. For a long time, Scola did not have a reliable mid range jumper. But once he developed that, he was an offensive monster.

Sabonis would need to make colossal strides in scoring ability and offensive skills to get to where prime Scola was at. It's not in the least bit realistic IMO.

No. Songaila was just a quick and fast small ball four that could run the floor, hustle, and finish. He was a pure energy and hustle role player, with absolutely nothing else to offer.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sv-x-as wrote:

Songaila was like the least skilled power forward of any well known Lithuanian players at his position.

K. Lavrinovic (he's a 4/5, but spent most his career as a 4)
Jankunas
Motiejunas
Arlauckas (if you want to count him, did not play in their national team, but he's Lithuanian American)
Kleiza
Kuzminksas (he's a SF in Euroleague, but in NBA he would probably be a PF)
D. Lavrinovic (he's a C, but he started as 4/5)
Zavackas

Every single one of the good Lithuanian 4s, 3/4s, and 4/5s of the last 15 years are/were way more skilled than Songaila.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#80 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 7, 2016 6:15 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
No. Songaila was just a quick and fast small ball four that could run the floor, hustle, and finish. He was a pure energy and hustle role player, with absolutely nothing else to offer.

I agree that Dom will not be as good as Scola, unless he really improves. Scola is FIBA legend, guy has so much skill. You really have to be good and skilled to be relevant in the NBA with those athletic shortcomings.

Songaila had a nice jumper. Dom has far more potential at back to the basket, but overall I think they are similar. Dom is also energy guy who can run the floor, has great intangibles, but can't jumo over a newspaper.

Return to NBA Draft