2016 Underclassmen who have declared

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2016 Underclassmen who have declared 

Post#61 » by No-Man » Sun Apr 3, 2016 10:34 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Rodney Purvis is graduating and is a fourth year player (sat out one year after transferring from NC State). If he comes back for an additional year, why shouldn't he take this opportunity to see what scouts/GM's think he needs to work on? Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

testing the waters is fine, If I were him I'd try to transfer and play immediately for a team that ccan make a run for the title so my name gets out there
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,042

Post#62 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 3, 2016 11:16 pm

Fischella wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Rodney Purvis is graduating and is a fourth year player (sat out one year after transferring from NC State). If he comes back for an additional year, why shouldn't he take this opportunity to see what scouts/GM's think he needs to work on? Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

testing the waters is fine, If I were him I'd try to transfer and play immediately for a team that ccan make a run for the title so my name gets out there

Transfer? He was a starter on a tournament team this year. With everyone returning next season (Hamilton and Brimah), plus their recruiting class (including transfer Terry Larrier), UConn is a pre-season top 10 team. Why would Purvis need to transfer to get his name out there? He needs to just play better.

To be fair, Rodney did get better as the season wore on, but to me he will never improve his NBA stock, because he can't play the point and he can't guard big 2's. His only upside is to become a Marcus Thornton type of player but he would have to go nuts this coming year.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#63 » by bs_and_cs » Mon Apr 4, 2016 1:02 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Transfer? He was a starter on a tournament team this year. With everyone returning next season (Hamilton and Brimah), plus their recruiting class (including transfer Terry Larrier), UConn is a pre-season top 10 team. Why would Purvis need to transfer to get his name out there? He needs to just play better.

To be fair, Rodney did get better as the season wore on, but to me he will never improve his NBA stock, because he can't play the point and he can't guard big 2's. His only upside is to become a Marcus Thornton type of player but he would have to go nuts this coming year.

I think the implication is, that UConn is just going to continue recruiting over him and his playing time is going to diminish.

Thus going to a lesser team, with tournament prospects where he can be the guy makes sense.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,042

Post#64 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 4, 2016 2:04 am

UConn hasn't recruited over him though. He was a starter for almost the entire year (save for a couple of games when he was slumping) and would be a starter as a senior. UConn hasn't recruited over him at all. Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert are point guards.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#65 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Apr 4, 2016 2:14 am

Chuck Everett wrote:UConn hasn't recruited over him though. He was a starter for almost the entire year (save for a couple of games when he was slumping) and would be a starter as a senior. UConn hasn't recruited over him at all. Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert are point guards.

He doesn't need to transfer , he's been given free reigns under Ollie and has shown a shaky handle and limited vision. I knew his deal when he got cut from the u19s, you can dig up the scouting report from draft net, it's crazy accurate.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#66 » by TraBuch » Mon Apr 4, 2016 4:24 pm

Brandon Ingram has officially declared.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/brandon-ingram-duke-goodbye-letter/

Think that's worth reading to see what kind of kid he is.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#67 » by Marcus » Fri Apr 8, 2016 1:15 am

skywalker33 wrote:Malik Newman looks to enter the draft. Once thought of as a mid-to high 1st round pick, dude was injured through most of his freshman year. Newman is under-sized as a SG, but can flat out score, could he he a 2nd round steal ?

Yeah I think his underwhelming year doesn't necessarily speak to his talent. If he does drop to the 2nd I wouldn't be surprised to see him show out in the SL and force some regrets during the season if he lands somewhere where he can get some time. Not comparing him to Clarkson but I can see that type of scenario playing out for him.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#68 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 8, 2016 1:29 am

Marcus wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Malik Newman looks to enter the draft. Once thought of as a mid-to high 1st round pick, dude was injured through most of his freshman year. Newman is under-sized as a SG, but can flat out score, could he he a 2nd round steal ?

Yeah I think his underwhelming year doesn't necessarily speak to his talent. If he does drop to the 2nd I wouldn't be surprised to see him show out in the SL and force some regrets during the season if he lands somewhere where he can get some time. Not comparing him to Clarkson but I can see that type of scenario playing out for him.

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've yet to see it. Actually, I've yet to see anything special about him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#69 » by Marcus » Fri Apr 8, 2016 2:07 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've yet to see it. Actually, I've yet to see anything special about him.

That's fair. Won't say that there aren't question marks regarding the kid but his skill set and game seem better suited for the league.

He'll need to work on shot selection and might need an ideal situation where he'll just be allowed to play. Also will need to learn the PG position as he's is more of a scoring guard at the moment which isn't necessarily bad in today's NBA.

He has range, a nice handle, good bounce, and gets after it defensively. A more open game suits him better.

I think somebody takes a shot on him and comes out pleasantly surprised. We'll see though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#70 » by nickforthreee » Fri Apr 8, 2016 2:20 am

I can see Malik Newman being an ideal sixth man, and thriving. but if you're looking for your starting 2 guard of the future he's not the guy imo
No-Man
RealGM

Post#71 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:18 am

Newman hasnt shown less skilled than Murray, for example, and one is hyped as a top5 pick while the other is slotted as a 2nd rounder, in terms of value I'd 100% prefer Newman in the 2nd over Murray at 5# overall
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#72 » by janmagn » Fri Apr 8, 2016 12:13 pm

Thon Maker officialy declares for draft; may not be eligible due to NBA rules

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 8, 2016 12:37 pm

Fischella wrote:Newman hasnt shown less skilled than Murray, for example, and one is hyped as a top5 pick while the other is slotted as a 2nd rounder, in terms of value I'd 100% prefer Newman in the 2nd over Murray at 5# overall

Murray showcases confidence and shooting percentages over Newman. I'm pretty sure he's longer too and has a better vert. Also seems to finish better. Murray also led his team to do pretty well (granted, it was Kentucky).
I once was watching a promo with Newman on ESPN and they called him a scorer. He took two shots from the three point line unguarded and missed both times. The third time he finally got it. I just don't think he's as good a scorer as everyone thinks. Good scorers have confidence.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#74 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 8, 2016 1:16 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Newman hasnt shown less skilled than Murray, for example, and one is hyped as a top5 pick while the other is slotted as a 2nd rounder, in terms of value I'd 100% prefer Newman in the 2nd over Murray at 5# overall

Murray showcases confidence and shooting percentages over Newman. I'm pretty sure he's longer too and has a better vert. Also seems to finish better. Murray also led his team to do pretty well (granted, it was Kentucky).
I once was watching a promo with Newman on ESPN and they called him a scorer. He took two shots from the three point line unguarded and missed both times. The third time he finally got it. I just don't think he's as good a scorer as everyone thinks. Good scorers have confidence.

narrowly better %s honestly, and Newman is playing in a Ben Howland's offense, he is neither longer nor a better athlete than Newman, this isnt close, both are **** defenders.
Newman is a better playmaker and better at setting his teammates than Murray, or at least he has shown more of that at the college level.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#75 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Deyonta Davis is in, poor Izzo, he is intriguing but really raw, has length, mobility and plays hard, but lacks strength, average athlete, and has no moves offensively, can hit some jumpers and finishes well, good rebounder, struggling to project him in terms of where his value is better, I think I'd have a hard time picking him lotto.
He seems to be a bit of a thinner Ed Davis, similar length and size, versatility and ability to crash the boards, raw offensively, but can run the floor, be a lob target.
The question is how high you draft a mixed big like that, in a Draft loaded with bigs.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Fischella wrote:Deyonta Davis is in, poor Izzo, he is intriguing but really raw, has length, mobility and plays hard, but lacks strength, average athlete, and has no moves offensively, can hit some jumpers and finishes well, good rebounder, struggling to project him in terms of where his value is better, I think I'd have a hard time picking him lotto.
He seems to be a bit of a thinner Ed Davis, similar length and size, versatility and ability to crash the boards, raw offensively, but can run the floor, be a lob target.
The question is how high you draft a mixed big like that, in a Draft loaded with bigs.

Yeah, as you said in a different thread, this is a deep draft for bigs. I think Deyonta Davis is a second round pick. Ed Davis is likely what he'll be right away, but he's young and has the upside to to better than Davis. I honestly blame all these mock drafts having him way to high for Davis deciding to go in. I think his age might put him in at the end of the first round. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the picks in the first round are bigs. If you need bigs, I think this is the draft for you.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#77 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Ed Davis is a damn fine player, not sure if Deyonta is going to be better, but I am sure he is not going to be him right away, he is a top3 player from the bench this year (only behind Iguodala and maybe Barton).
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Fischella wrote:Ed Davis is a damn fine player, not sure if Deyonta is going to be better, but I am sure he is not going to be him right away, he is a top3 player from the bench this year (only behind Iguodala and maybe Barton).

When I say "right away," I mean once he figures out how to use his athleticism in the NBA he can be just as good athletically. I'm not comparing skill and strength. I guess I haven't really been spelling out what I mean in these kind of instances.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#79 » by EMG518 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Kahlil Felder is in with an agent.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#80 » by sweetcity » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Fischella wrote:Deyonta Davis is in, poor Izzo, he is intriguing but really raw, has length, mobility and plays hard, but lacks strength, average athlete, and has no moves offensively, can hit some jumpers and finishes well, good rebounder, struggling to project him in terms of where his value is better, I think I'd have a hard time picking him lotto.

Ed Davis was a much bigger impact player in college then Deyonta

Return to NBA Draft