Comments on Malcolm Brogdon

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Comments on Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#1 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu May 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Malcolm Brogdon seems an interesting prospect to me given our situation. I haven't seen too many Virginia games this year. Would appreciate your comments on his game, BBIQ, other intangibles, if/where he's likely to be drafted and any other comments. Many thanks.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Re: Comments on Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 26, 2016 5:59 pm

He has interesting strengths and weaknesses

- One of the best shooting splits in the class (39%, 6.1 3PA/40, 89.7% FT, an elite FT is key here)
- Great measurables (6'10.5 wingspan 223 pounds)
- Excellent assist to turnover and considered strong IQ

Unfortunately for such a lauded defensive player his ability to get steals and blocks is surprisingly bad (1.1 and 0.3 per 40) along with mediocre rebounding (4.8 reb/40). Analytically, 4 year seniors who start slow, put up 20 pts+/40 by their 4th year but don't have the stats like steals, rebounds and blocks, tend to rate as future busts, therefore he rates as non 1st round in my system. You know how the Clippers keep taking old shooting wings in the 1st round... Brogdon is that guy this draft

But for not as #s driven analysis, the combination of being one of the best 3pt shooters with great defensive tools and track record in college, could appeal to teams and there shouldn't be as big a gap between him and Valentine on big boards as there is.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Do you think he gets drafted in the second round? If so, what would you expect to be his range at this point? Thanks.
notSonics 2016
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#4 » by sweetcity » Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 pm

He will go 2nd round forsure. He's pretty slow, so yes he had length, but it doesn't translate into any advantage. Im not high on him
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#5 » by Upperclass » Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 pm

He's in the Alan Anderson mold.. should be serviceable
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:04 pm

sweetcity wrote:He will go 2nd round forsure. He's pretty slow, so yes he had length, but it doesn't translate into any advantage. Im not high on him

He had the best modified lane agility drill at the combine and was top 10 in the lane agility drill.

I think he should go in the 1st round, going to be a steal whom ever gets him. I think he is going to be a versatile defender able to guard multiple positions and will be able to knock down an open shot at a good percentage. Those things combined are valuable.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#7 » by RipCity71252 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Like him, don't love him.

After watching a few Virginia games this past week, the thing that stood out most to me is his calming presence on the floor. Never looks rushed and consistently makes nice reads. If he shows some more intensity on D (like positivity noted, his calmness seems to carry over here) he's got the skills and tools to be a nice 2/3 who moves the ball effectively, hits spot up and off-screen 3's and plays above average defense (right now he's more solid than impactful and can get spacey off the ball at times).

If he can run a pnr consistently, he has a chance to be a bit more because I don't think he's going to be able to do much off the bounce w/o a screen. He's not a bad athlete by any means, but his rookie Oladipo-like handles (basic, w/ a heavy use of a rh in and out and a shaky left hand), minus the burst to turn the corner doesn't project to be very effective against nba level defense.

I think he's decent value in the late first/ early 2nd.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#8 » by mattg » Fri May 27, 2016 2:13 am

He could become the next Danny green if he gets in the right situation.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#9 » by DrCoach » Fri May 27, 2016 5:05 am

mattg wrote:He could become the next Danny green if he gets in the right situation.

Yes, that's what I came to say. Danny Green

Spurs written all over him, unless they want athletes after getter no beat by OKC
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#10 » by LofJ » Fri May 27, 2016 11:01 am

Brogdon reminds me of Wes Matthews more than Danny Green. And his lack of steals is by design, so I wouldn't use that as a mark against him.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's drafted by the Hornets at 22. He fits our new style of play perfectly.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by djthesonicsfan » Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Virginia played a tough schedule and won a lot of games. It would be interesting to review who Brogdon played against and how he performed in those match ups.
notSonics 2016
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#12 » by Moooose » Fri May 27, 2016 4:09 pm

^Would agree with the Wes Matthews comparison.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Upperclass » Fri May 27, 2016 7:21 pm

I dont see it. He's extremely stiff. Not a bad ballhander, and heck of a shooter.. but he doesnt have the quickest hands and again.. is very stiff and upright. I wanted to compare him to afflalo, but I think Afflalo would probably be his ceiling and Alan Anderson, his likely career arc.

Wes Matthews was a bit more explosive laterally and also quicker and more agile coming out.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Moooose wrote:^Would agree with the Wes Matthews comparison.

I third that. Great comparison.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,636

Post#15 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat May 28, 2016 12:40 am

Interesting player... Guys like him usually get drafted in the 1st. He is truly a guard and has great size, strength, and touch. I'm not high on drafting older players, but that matters less to me when you can clearly see a guy fitting into a role in the NBA rather than hoping that he develops into a superstar.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#16 » by PhilasFinest » Sat May 28, 2016 3:10 am

LofJ wrote:Brogdon reminds me of Wes Matthews more than Danny Green. And his lack of steals is by design, so I wouldn't use that as a mark against him.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's drafted by the Hornets at 22. He fits our new style of play perfectly.

This.

He doesn't rack up steals because he rarely gambles or leaves his assignment. He's a hounding on ball defender though, which is why he was award DPOY in the conference 2X.

Hes a smart, high IQ player who know's what he does well and plays within himself. He doesn't have huge upside but he also is tailor made to play the 3/D role and know's it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes in the 1st round and becomes a Wes Matthews/Danny Green like SG.
With "3&D" perimeter players at such a high demand now, his age means nothing to team's looking for simply that.
He's ready to contribute right away,knows how to play fundamentally sound basketball, shoots well from outside and the line and willingly defends whoever is in front of him.

If he is on the board when the Spurs or Hawks pick, forget about it.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm

If I was betting, I'd say late-first, maybe early second. At worst, he makes for a decent backup and probably a decent one by mid-season. At best, he might be a solid starter on a team with two good scorers.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#18 » by JYD » Sun May 29, 2016 2:47 am

I see afflalo in him too and liked afflalo coming to the NBA. Just a solid 2 way guy who knows how to play the right way. Danny green isn't a horrible comp either, another guy I liked out of college. So I'd be more than fine taking brogdan at 27.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#19 » by Nolan » Wed Jun 1, 2016 2:26 pm

LofJ wrote:Brogdon reminds me of Wes Matthews more than Danny Green. And his lack of steals is by design, so I wouldn't use that as a mark against him.

This a hundred times over. Sometimes a college system can really hurt a players pro prospects, Virginia's all about low risk stay in front of your man defense.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#20 » by Notanoob » Thu Jun 2, 2016 3:14 am

Nolan wrote:

This a hundred times over. Sometimes a college system can really hurt a players pro prospects, Virginia's all about low risk stay in front of your man defense.
The conservative defense argument is a BS one, I know from having used it before. The impact on a guys' steal rate isn't big enough to meaningfully change what it says about a guy.

This season London Perrantes, Isaiah Wilkins and Darius Thompson all got more steals per40 than Brogdon.

Year before, Marial Shayok, Anthony Gill, Darion Atkins, and Evan Nolte all beat Brogdon in steals per40 as well.

His steal and block numbers are low relative to his teammates, so you can't really use the system argument anyways.

Return to NBA Draft