Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Top-5 for 2017? 

Post#421 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:15 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Having a mid range game doesn't make you inefficient. I wouldn't take Tatum #1 overall, but people doubting his offensive game are kinda crazy. If anything having a very advance mid range game is more impressive at a young age, he will likely be able to develop a 3 point shot - people talking like the guy will end up like DeRozan.

yeah never got that argument either. If kid is money with separation from mid-range and operating in the mid-post area why not just let him flourish? A quick first-step and some passing to boot and you've opened up other shooters even if he's not a shooter himself.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#422 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Having a mid range game doesn't make you inefficient. I wouldn't take Tatum #1 overall, but people doubting his offensive game are kinda crazy. If anything having a very advance mid range game is more impressive at a young age, he will likely be able to develop a 3 point shot - people talking like the guy will end up like DeRozan.

Ya I don't get the inefficient argument either. Yes he's great from the midrange but he's also very good at finishing at the rim, or drawing contact where he's a great FT shooter. It's much much easier to develop a 3 point shot than it is to develop a midrange game like he has. Plus reports are he came in extremely focused on making his 3 a bigger weapon and reports are he's been hitting the 3 at a high rate in practice. Scoring efficiently isn't going to be a problem for him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#423 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:08 pm

I guess here would be a good place to do a quick little recap of Duke's live scrimmage. First thing first, the great thing about Duke is when they have their CTC they play hard like it's a real game (majority of schools is like an all star game).

Tatum by far the most impressive player on the court by a wide wide margin. Scored every way possible, half court midrange, half court attacking the basket, pull up 3, alley oop in transition. The dude showed it all off, but I was impressed defensively, kept his man in front of him, mixed it up a little down low as well. I just love his game.

Frank was the 2nd best player which I think surprised a lot of people. The dude is just a baller and he seems to continue to get more and more athletic. He's got a really great first step. Was also the best on ball defender as well, the dude can be a stud defensively with his strength and quickness. By far he's the most athletic guy on the team and another guy that scores with ease at all levels. Wouldn't be surprised if he has better per 40 numbers and more effecient numbers than Grayson this year.

Bolden was still Bolden to me, low motor, gets lazy on D and is a pretty bad defender. With his size and mobility you would just expect so much more production from him. He does show these flashes of his ability and I could see why scouts like him. I just don't see his production blowing anyone away, still a guy that's all potential. I look at him as a Damian Jones 2.0. Look at the mix of size, strength and athleticism and see them in an open gym you think damn these guys are top 10 picks, until you see them in a game and they just disappear. But there's potential.

Grayson Allen was just bad, he looked gassed after the first couple minutes, he's missed some practices lately so that could be why his conditioning is off. He does look a lot leaner though, I know that was his plan. Just forced shots left and right and his handle is still a work in progress if I'm being nice. I could definitely see him slip into the 2nd round. The more I watch him and Frank play together two things really stand out, Frank's far superior quickness and ball handling. Really puts into perspective how far behind Grayson is on those 2 things
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#424 » by Kolkmania » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Marcus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Think that players like Fox will become more valuable in today's NBA. De'Aaron Fox fits perfectly next to a bigger playmaker like James, Antetounkmpo, Simmons, etc.

how so? guys you mentioned thrive better with spot up shooter around them. Fox is not that kind of player right now. He needs the ball in hand in order to penetrate and create to be effective.

Well he's an elite perimeter defender. So that's a plus in comparison with the elite offensive point guards like Irving etc. His handles are quite loose, perhaps being a secondary playmaker and attacking of the catch is a good starting point in the NBA. I also like Fox' shooting form, based on that I think he can keep the defense honest.

Not necessarily, but you have to hit the mid range at good percentages. Tatum shot something like 49% 2PT FG last year? Not sure.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#425 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Reports are Tatum was killing it during Duke's pro day up until he went down with a foot injury. some reports are it looked very serious and others are saying is nothing serious. So who knows
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#426 » by Kolkmania » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Reports are Tatum was killing it during Duke's pro day up until he went down with a foot injury. some reports are it looked very serious and others are saying is nothing serious. So who knows

Sprained ankle right?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#427 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:47 pm

In any other year I'd have OG Anunoby in my top 5.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#428 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:In any other year I'd have OG Anunoby in my top 5.

I'm a big fan.

A bit concerned with the jump shot though.

Yes, the 3 point % looks good, but the free throw percentage is atrocious. That doesn't bode well imo.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#429 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Reports are Tatum was killing it during Duke's pro day up until he went down with a foot injury. some reports are it looked very serious and others are saying is nothing serious. So who knows

Sprained ankle right?

Ya sprained ankle shouldn't miss any games except their exhibitions.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#430 » by brackdan70 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Sprained ankle right?

any news on the exhibition game?
Sign here
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#431 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 am

brackdan70 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Sprained ankle right?

any news on the exhibition game?

Tatum didnt play. The clear standout though was Bolden. Played just 25 minutes and grabbed 11 boards (6 offensive) and blocked 5 shots and shot 5/7 from the field. The quality of opponent was low but the big thing I saw from him was a high motor, that has always been my biggest criticism of Bolden. Also I guess the 3 names the scouts kept talking about after Duke's last pro day was Tatum, Bolden and Luke Kennard. Luke put up an easy 30 points tonight. Luke is a 4 year player but I think his name will get much bigger when he is a senior.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#432 » by DirtyDez » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:15 am

Not that he was lottery bound but Ray Smith Jr might've just torn his ACL for the third time in Arizona's first exhibition game. He was crying getting helped off the court. Markkanen looks like the real deal so far.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#433 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:40 am

DirtyDez wrote:Not that he was lottery bound but Ray Smith Jr might've just torn his ACL for the third time in Arizona's first exhibition game. He was crying getting helped off the court. Markkanen looks like the real deal so far.

Sooooooooo sad to hear that. Had high hopes for that kid.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#434 » by GimmeDat » Wed Nov 2, 2016 11:06 am

DirtyDez wrote:Not that he was lottery bound but Ray Smith Jr might've just torn his ACL for the third time in Arizona's first exhibition game. He was crying getting helped off the court. Markkanen looks like the real deal so far.

Man, that's just heartbreaking.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#435 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 2, 2016 8:27 pm

new update from .net

Josh Jackson
Dennis Smith
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Harry Giles

Still not sure if Lonzo being top four is the surprise or Harry remaining in the top five considering his health.
Watch More Basketball

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#436 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Nov 3, 2016 6:41 am

At least he's geting a free education. Finish school and see where you're at once done.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#437 » by Rastas » Thu Nov 3, 2016 1:06 pm

Marcus wrote:new update from .net

Josh Jackson
Dennis Smith
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Harry Giles

Still not sure if Lonzo being top four is the surprise or Harry remaining in the top five considering his health.

Wow if Lonzo is rated this high - maybe this draft is not as great as everyone is telling us.

Watched Lonzo play some games a few months back in Australia and he would be lucky to be 1/4 the player Ben Simmons
looked like against similar opposition a year earlier.
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#438 » by Kolkmania » Thu Nov 3, 2016 2:58 pm

Rastas wrote:

Josh Jackson
Dennis Smith
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Harry Giles

Wow if Lonzo is rated this high - maybe this draft is not as great as everyone is telling us.

Watched Lonzo play some games a few months back in Australia and he would be lucky to be 1/4 the player Ben Simmons

Well I would place OG Anunoby in the same tier as Kris Dunn, Jaylen Brown, Jamal Murray etc. if he went in last years draft. Nbadraft.net has him ranked at #34 so that would make this draft legendary.

My point, mock drafts are pretty much useless this time of the year and nbadraft.net is useless all the time of the year. :lol: :wink:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#439 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 3:21 pm

Rastas wrote:

Josh Jackson
Dennis Smith
Markelle Fultz
Lonzo Ball
Harry Giles

First off nbadraft.net is a joke of a site. Some flat out horrible mock drafts from that site. I could spin it like look at DX mock draft, they have Ball going 14th, he wouldve been the #1 PG taken in this past draft, so he wouldve gone top 5 in this past draft, this draft must be legit then.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#440 » by CptCrunch » Thu Nov 3, 2016 4:41 pm

If Frank Jackson is so good, why he is never on mock drafts? Even without a finished game, he can be drafted as an athletic prospect. I mean he is Duke's PG this year; if they do well (#1 seed in the tourney as expected), I fail to see how he won't leave for the draft.

Tatum (top 3)

Giles (5-6 floor sitting out this year even)

Bolden (mid lotto)

Frank (late lotto to 20's?)

Allen (late first)

Return to NBA Draft