Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Top-5 for 2017? 

Post#341 » by Marcus » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:23 am

peachbucket wrote:
Marcus wrote:
peachbucket wrote:After Kentucky workouts, Calipari is mentioning Adebayo being similar prospect to A.D. and Towns and contending for number one overall. Can someone who is familiar with Bam chime in. Why is he so low on mocks? Aside from age, what is the difference between him and Dwight Howard as a high school senior? Their size and athleticism seems very similar and Bam seems to be more skilled and better ft shooter.

I know he has a couple tricks hidden in his offensive game that may surprise folks but I think Cal might be reaching a bit here and I actually like Bam more than most people here on the boards. I think there's some potential there without question but still pretty raw. Being more skilled than Dwight isn't really saying much either.

I think it's certainly saying something within the context of his combo of size and athleticism...Dwight has shown that even his modest amount of skill with those attributes is good enough to be a 20+ ppg scorer in the league.

which still had more to do with his physical gifts and how he was used rather than his skillset.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,000

Post#342 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:34 am

Cal said he'll have similar impact with Kentucky IIRC, that has nothing to do with him being as good as a NBA prospect.
Makes sense, he'll do good in college because of his physical gifts, but he'll bust hard in NBA.
Horrible takes since 2016
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#343 » by peachbucket » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Cal said he'll have similar impact with Kentucky IIRC, that has nothing to do with him being as good as a NBA prospect.
Makes sense, he'll do good in college because of his physical gifts, but he'll bust hard in NBA.

Why do you think he will bust? What makes him a worse prospect than Dwight or Amare?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,000

Post#344 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:59 pm

peachbucket wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Cal said he'll have similar impact with Kentucky IIRC, that has nothing to do with him being as good as a NBA prospect.

Why do you think he will bust? What makes him a worse prospect than Dwight or Amare?

He doesn't have the combination of height+length that howard has, Bam is 6'10 max, but his wingspan is nowhere as good as howard, and he is athletic and explosive but not as explosive as howard, and not as strong.
Amare is more realistic because he was a power forward at 6'10 with 7'2 wingspan and pretty strong but not like howard, but he was way more skilled, had a good midrange and an unreal first step. Bam does not have a good midrange game and has a good first step but not unreal.
Horrible takes since 2016
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#345 » by tsmith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:17 am

peachbucket wrote:

Doubts on IQ
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#346 » by Upperclass » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:19 am

t_smith979 wrote:
peachbucket wrote:

Doubts on IQ

I think Bam's hoops IQ falls between Amare and Dwights. I think Dwight has never thought the game well.. just taught how to react situationally. Amare is a basketball savant and an intelligent guy overall. I think Bam has a good head on his shoulders, and can think and react pretty well to the situation. His IQ is probably slightly above average
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#347 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:55 am

I see more a stronger JJ Hickson than I see Dwight Howard when I watch Bam. Dwight was a far far superior defender than Bam is. Bam is not a bad defender but Dwight was an elite rim protector and all around elite defender. And I know its hard to believe because of how he plays in the NBA but in high school Dwight was a very skilled offensive big. He showed a ton of low post moves and took jumpers and handled the ball on the perimeter. Dwight was a flat out beast on both sides of the ball in high school. Bam is nowhere near the same prospect.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#348 » by DirtyDez » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:15 pm

fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#349 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 pm

DirtyDez wrote:http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1712117-hamidou-diallo-is-eligible-for-the-nba-draft?s=106

was just gonna ask if he decides to do this where does he land?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#350 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Marcus wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1712117-hamidou-diallo-is-eligible-for-the-nba-draft?s=106

I think it would be a mistake draft selection wise (cant ever say its a mistake to become a millionaire a year sooner). I think if he stayed in the 18 draft he could have a chance at a top 5 selection. The top 3 is pretty locked up in my opinion with Bamba, Ayton and Porter with Duval rounding out the top 4. So I think Diallo could challenge guys like Knox and Carter as a top 5 pick.

When it comes to the 17 draft I have a hard time seeing him going top 10 and could see him slip out of the lottery. I think there is a solid 7-8 guys that most people will acknowledge as guys that will go top 7-8 that Diallo is not going to hop over. And that list doesnt include guys like Bam, Rabb, Ferguson, Fox, Bolden, Isaac, O.G, Bryant. I could easily see him slip out of the lottery in this upcoming draft, its just that deep.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#351 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I think it would be a mistake draft selection wise (cant ever say its a mistake to become a millionaire a year sooner). I think if he stayed in the 18 draft he could have a chance at a top 5 selection. The top 3 is pretty locked up in my opinion with Bamba, Ayton and Porter with Duval rounding out the top 4. So I think Diallo could challenge guys like Knox and Carter as a top 5 pick.

When it comes to the 17 draft I have a hard time seeing him going top 10 and could see him slip out of the lottery. I think there is a solid 7-8 guys that most people will acknowledge as guys that will go top 7-8 that Diallo is not going to hop over. And that list doesnt include guys like Bam, Rabb, Ferguson, Fox, Bolden, Isaac, O.G, Bryant. I could easily see him slip out of the lottery in this upcoming draft, its just that deep.

I don't know a ton about him but from what I've seen and read and what I know about the talent from both classes that you mentioned I would have to say that I agree with you on that. 17 looks pretty loaded with guys that have the skill/athleticism combo that perhaps he still needs to grow into. That in itself seems to be enough of a factor to say "i'll wait" if I was in his position. 18 does seem to give him a much better chance at a top stop.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#352 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:46 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I don't know a ton about him but from what I've seen and read and what I know about the talent from both classes that you mentioned I would have to say that I agree with you on that. 17 looks pretty loaded with guys that have the skill/athleticism combo that perhaps he still needs to grow into. That in itself seems to be enough of a factor to say "i'll wait" if I was in his position. 18 does seem to give him a much better chance at a top stop.

Another guy you can compare him to is Lavine. Another athletic 2 guard with questionable offensive skills. Lavine is the better athlete, has better handles, better jumper, smaller wingspan but an inch taller. Lavine went 13th in his draft. I just dont see how Diallo could go top 10 in the 17 draft. I think it would be a much better chance he drops out of the lottery than goes top 10 in that draft
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#353 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:36 am

T-Ferg dropped 17 in 22 minutes shooting an even 50% from the field in a pre-season game before he hurt his knee.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#354 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:19 am

Marcus wrote:T-Ferg dropped 17 in 22 minutes shooting an even 50% from the field in a pre-season game before he hurt his knee.

He's going to surprise a lot of people I think. I'm very high on Ferguson. Great size for a 2 guard, really athletic and the best shooter in the class. Terrence Ross 2.0, hopefully he pans out better than Ross has
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#355 » by No-Man » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Diallo is a more power player than LaVine though, not nearly as good as a shooter, LaVine was bananas running off screens at UCLA

I think you are missing the boat on Doncic&Hoard for 2018 when you are talking about a set top3, there is no way I am taking Porter ahead of any of the two.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#356 » by No-Man » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:T-Ferg dropped 17 in 22 minutes shooting an even 50% from the field in a pre-season game before he hurt his knee.

He's going to surprise a lot of people I think. I'm very high on Ferguson. Great size for a 2 guard, really athletic and the best shooter in the class. Terrence Ross 2.0, hopefully he pans out better than Ross has

if he is only TRoss/GGreen is he really going to surprise people?
IQ is a big question mark, on both ends, ball skills too, defensive awareness and effort/motor too, dunno, if he actually has all those with his athleticism and smooth stroke he is a top5 pick, but if he doesnt he is likely a late 1st rounder and mainly due to the lack of true wings out there.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#357 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Fischella wrote:Diallo is a more power player than LaVine though, not nearly as good as a shooter, LaVine was bananas running off screens at UCLA

I think you are missing the boat on Doncic&Hoard for 2018 when you are talking about a set top3, there is no way I am taking Porter ahead of any of the two.

I agree Diallo is more of a power player. That's why I originally compared him to a 2 guard version of Jaylen Brown. I'm just not that high on Diallo. He's a great athlete with little offensive skills. I think Brown and Lavine were superior prospects.

Now the other two guys you mentioned I assume Doncic is a euro, I don't talk on euros because I know absolutely nothing about them so I don't really have much input on them except for a few highlight videos on youtube which means nothing. With Hoard again don't know much about him, I believe he's French or from Spain one of the two and the only reason I know much from him because he chose to come play in America for high school. But from what I recall reading on him he's going to be a junior this year, so I thought he was a year after Diallo, Porter, Bamba and all them. But again I'm not ashamed to admit my knowledge on foreign players is little to none, so if I'm wrong on that I won't fight you on it. I know you're knowledge on foreign players far exceeds mine
No-Man
RealGM

Post#358 » by No-Man » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Wasnt sure about Hoard, thing is that he is from 99' so as a euro he could declare for 18' draft but if he ends up in a lower class due to translating to the american education system that might mean 2019' if he wants to go through college like he has stated before.

Hoard is from France, Doncic is slovenian but plays for RMadrid in Spain.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#359 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Fischella wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

if he is only TRoss/GGreen is he really going to surprise people?
IQ is a big question mark, on both ends, ball skills too, defensive awareness and effort/motor too, dunno, if he actually has all those with his athleticism and smooth stroke he is a top5 pick, but if he doesnt he is likely a late 1st rounder and mainly due to the lack of true wings out there.

He can easily end up being a let down like those two guys. That's why I said I hope he pans out better. He can easily be the next Ross/Green and just be a bench or rotation player. I compare him to Ross because Ferg is a great athlete, best shooter in the class and is big for a 2 guard just like Ross was coming out. He's got a ton of potential like those two guys, I just think he comes closer to reaching his potential than those two and I think that will surprise a lot of people
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#360 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Fischella wrote:Wasnt sure about Hoard, thing is that he is from 99' so as a euro he could declare for 18' draft but if he ends up in a lower class due to translating to the american education system that might mean 2019' if he wants to go through college like he has stated before.

Hoard is from France, Doncic is slovenian but plays for RMadrid in Spain.

Ya from looking it up right now, he is going to be a junior this year and all the scouting people have him part of the 18' recruiting class (19' draft class).

Return to NBA Draft