2018 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2018 NBA Draft 

Post#141 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Porter has added a ton of mass to his upperbody, he is superdeveloped there, I like as a PF, brings it up physically as well, I dont know about superstar, but with the quickness and confidence he executes on offense and his size, he is clearly a premium prospect, I'd say similarly to Doncic, probably ceiling wise Ayton and Bamba come first, but they are rawer, then Porter-Doncic-Carter, that'd probably be my top5 for the class as of now.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#142 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Something tells me that Michael Porter is going to be a dominant player in his only year at Washington. I don't know where that lands him, but what he has done with Brandon Roy coaching him this year has been pretty interesting.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#143 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 pm

According to ESPN recruiting rankings, Michael Porter has officially been ranked #1.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2017

Rest of the top 10:

2. DeAndre Ayton, Arizona
3. Wendell Carter, Duke
4. Trevon Duval, Undecided
5. Mohammed Bamba, Undecided
6. Brandon McCoy, Undecided
7. Kevin Knox, Undecided
8. Gary Trent Jr., Duke
9. Mitchell Robinson, Western Kentucky
10. Collin Sexton, Alabama

Seems like Sexton fell a bit, while Trent rose, probably due to the Duke-effect.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#144 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Guys like Lonnie and MJ Walker, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Troy Brown Jr. and Jarred Vanderbilt are too low for me, there are several guys ahead of them that scream "meh" to me.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#145 » by Upperclass » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:28 pm

I think Michael Porter will be a huge disappointment in the NBA unless he grows taller to the 6'11 range.. which he may very well.
He is really really slow and stiff and will just get slower as he ages. I dont like what i see from him despite his scoring outbursts. His little brother actually may endup a more productive player in the Tristan Thompson type role. Thicker kid, nice touch on his shot and just tougher and more assertive overall.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#146 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:According to ESPN recruiting rankings, Michael Porter has officially been ranked #1.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2017

Rest of the top 10:

2. DeAndre Ayton, Arizona
3. Wendell Carter, Duke
4. Trevon Duval, Undecided
5. Mohammed Bamba, Undecided
6. Brandon McCoy, Undecided
7. Kevin Knox, Undecided
8. Gary Trent Jr., Duke
9. Mitchell Robinson, Western Kentucky
10. Collin Sexton, Alabama

Seems like Sexton fell a bit, while Trent rose, probably due to the Duke-effect.

Bamba too low and Trent way too high. Still think there is a clear top 4 with Duval slowly gaining with his slow improvement of his jumper and much improved defense.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#147 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Upperclass wrote:I think Michael Porter will be a huge disappointment in the NBA unless he grows taller to the 6'11 range.. which he may very well.
He is really really slow and stiff and will just get slower as he ages. I dont like what i see from him despite his scoring outbursts. His little brother actually may endup a more productive player in the Tristan Thompson type role. Thicker kid, nice touch on his shot and just tougher and more assertive overall.

Hes plenty fast enough with straight line speed. Hes grown a lot on me the past few months but ya hes stiff, not a shifty athlete. I can see the potential with him but a part of me is still saying hes the next Harrison Barnes. Flashy athleticism but not the most useful athleticism because theyre a little stiff and have average to below average lateral agility. Then their handles are similar as well, Barnes could catch and shoot or throw down a wide open dunk. But his lack of handle really showed in college where he really struggled to create his own shot with the ball. I think Porter could have those same issues, plus hes not as good of a shooter as Barnes was.

But he is 6'10 really explosive vertically and has great form on his jumper, definitely has potential.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#148 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Porter has a superquick release and decision making tho, not really Barnes style back in college.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#149 » by Upperclass » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:57 pm

He looks like Mike Dunleavy tbh. Which isnt a knock.. because Dunleavy was the #2 or 3 guy back in the day based on talent and collegiate production.. I just dont see his production translating into a big NBA role. I think the 2018 draft overall will be a dog
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#150 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Porter is literally dominating HS basketball this year. I don't know what Brandon Roy is specifically doing with him, but he has been a monster in every single big game this year. I imagine B-Roy will not be at Nathan Hale long, getting a job in development either in the League or becoming a college assistant. I'd prefer Roy back in the NBA all the same.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#151 » by jrob23 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 am

Upperclass wrote:I think Michael Porter will be a huge disappointment in the NBA unless he grows taller to the 6'11 range.. which he may very well.

I agree about his stiffness but get a Duncan vibe because of it. I am worried about his level of effort on D.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#152 » by darrendaye » Thu Feb 2, 2017 12:41 am

Anyone watch enough of Mitchell Robinson to offer an assessment of his likelihood to be drafted high in 2018? I only have articles, stats, and highlights to go on and the indication is talented but raw having not played until 2 years ago. He, along with Ayton and Bamba, seem like guys who MIGHT project as inside-outside guys with enough projection in their shot to suggest perimeter proficiency. Robinson, like Bamba, is alleged to have enough quickness to defend in space too. Thoughts?
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#153 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 12:55 am

darrendaye wrote:Anyone watch enough of Mitchell Robinson to offer an assessment of his likelihood to be drafted high in 2018? I only have articles, stats, and highlights to go on and the indication is talented but raw having not played until 2 years ago. He, along with Ayton and Bamba, seem like guys who MIGHT project as inside-outside guys with enough projection in their shot to suggest perimeter proficiency. Robinson, like Bamba, is alleged to have enough quickness to defend in space too. Thoughts?

I dont personally see the inside out potential with him. He really is lacking skill wise offensively which is expected since he just started playing. I also dont see him being great at guarding in space either. He seems very stiff to me, he doesnt ever really get into a good defensive position, never really see him get his knees bent enough. Compare that to Bamba who has great agility and when you watch Bamba guard out on the perimeter the dude really bends his knees and knows how to use his agility and freakish length to keep guys in front of him. I like Robinson because of his frame, that dude should be able to put on muscle really easily and should be a really good interior defender, he has great timing. But no I dont see an inside out guy offensively and dont see a guy that you would like to be guarding out in space for long.

But he is very raw so who knows. I still think Ayont and Bamba are going to battle it out for the top big, then you will have Carter then I think we will see a gap between Carter and the next big taken.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#154 » by Upperclass » Thu Feb 2, 2017 2:06 am

darrendaye wrote:Anyone watch enough of Mitchell Robinson to offer an assessment of his likelihood to be drafted high in 2018? I only have articles, stats, and highlights to go on and the indication is talented but raw having not played until 2 years ago. He, along with Ayton and Bamba, seem like guys who MIGHT project as inside-outside guys with enough projection in their shot to suggest perimeter proficiency. Robinson, like Bamba, is alleged to have enough quickness to defend in space too. Thoughts?

All I know is that he's attending Western Kentucky.. so I really wouldnt trust his hoops IQ
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#155 » by reanimator » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:43 pm

When is the Luka Doncic thread being reopened?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#156 » by Marcus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 pm

reanimator wrote:When is the Luka Doncic thread being reopened?

soon.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#157 » by CptCrunch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:39 am

The Luke Doncic thread is responsible for 1/3 of the traffic on this board. It must be reopened ASAP.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Class of 2017 

Post#158 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:25 pm

Among the players entering college later this year, who are you excited about the most? Who do you forsee surprising people positively or negatively? Did you make scouting reports about some of the top prospect you'd like to share?

I've done extensive play-by-play scouting of the 2016 FIBA tournament in which some of the top prospects of 2017 (and 2018) played in. I really look forward to watching Sexton next year - should do wonders for Alabama's offense. He was incredible during that tournament and also a pleasure to watch. Also, Jaren Jackson under Coach Izzo is going to be great as Jackson has incredible tools defensively and should definitely benefit from having someone who lights a fire under his bottom every time he's zoning out of a play.

Duke has done a great recruitment job again. Gary Trent Jr. is a great pick-up and Wendell Carter has some serious talent as well. I was surprised to see how effective he's been on defense around the rim although he has to improve his perimeter game in order to be a top player at the next level. Knox has been quietly good on defense in international basketball but was rather unimpressive - and at times invisible - on offense. Troy Brown Jr. should be a great addition for Oregon, was really solid overall.

I also want to see Bamba's transition - and whether he's going to end up in Kentucky or Duke (I'd guess Kentucky but who knows). Not sure how good he's going to be from the get-go but I liked what I've seen from him so far (which, admittedly, isn't too much given the lack of extended footage available on the internet).

Michigan could have one hell of a class next year. Already added Jackson and they are still in the mix for two other 5-star prospects in Brian Browen and Brandon McCoy. Coupled with Cassius Winston - perfect PG for them who's had a really good finish to the season -, further improvement of Langford and good minutes from Ward? Yikes. Even if they only add one of the two - hell, even none - it's going to be great to watch although the loss of Bridges - barring some crazy twist - is going to hurt.

Sorry if I missed a pre-existing thread, feel free to lock it up or merge it then.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Re: Class of 2017 

Post#159 » by EricAnderson » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:28 pm

Oregon is also the leader for Brandon McCoy so if they get him to pair with Brown for them that's a all time recruiting class I'd imagine

I'm interested to see Ayton..he's went from being talked about as the best high school prospect in basketball to not even 1 in his own class and a guy who doesn't always try hard.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#160 » by Marcus » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:52 pm

.net updated their top five for 2018

Michael Porter
DeAndre Ayton
Wendell Carter
Luka Doncic
Trevon Duval

Bamba is 6th.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft