Chol Marial

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Chol Marial 

Post#1 » by oddwolfhooligan » Sat Aug 6, 2016 4:28 pm

I was just reading Givony's Adidas Nation's write up and found this eval of a player I've never seen or heard of. His name is Chol Marial.

Strengths
-Has exceptional size and length. Around 7'2 or taller. Reportedly measured a 7'10 wingspan
-Very skinny but has a decent frame that should fill out in time with proper work
-Extremely mobile. Runs the court well. Quick off his feet. Covers ground fluidly
-Highly skilled for a big man his age
-Has outstanding touch around the basket. Finishes with both hands. Length allows him to finish from extreme vantage points. Releases his hook shots on the way down, making it difficult to guard and giving him a huge advantage when combined with his touch
-Can make a mid-range jumper with impressive mechanics and touch. Excellent free throw shooter
-Shows nice footwork and body control in the paint. Executes impressive spin moves.
-Has huge potential defensively as a rim protector with his exceptional length and ability to cover ground. Has a chance to be a game-changing defensive presence as he gains strength, experience and coaching.
-Shows good timing as a shot-blocker
-Has some physicality and competitiveness to him, despite his lack of strength

Weaknesses
-Frame is still a long ways away. Very narrow in the lower body in particular. Will take him years to add enough strength to compete against older and stronger players
-Still figuring out what his limitations are. Forces the issue at times offensively. Not a great passer. Tends to move the ball as a last resort.
-Lack of strength makes it difficult to gain deep post position. Will settle for high degree of difficulty looks regardless
-Lacks a degree of explosiveness from a standstill, partially due to a lack of strength as his body is filling out. Doesn't know how to handle contact at the moment
-Still trying to figure out how to make the most of his tremendous combination of length and mobility defensively. Very long legs and high hips make it difficult for him to bend his knees and get into a stance on the perimeter. Will get blown by off the dribble at times by smaller and more skilled big men.
-Rebounding numbers are fairly lackluster everywhere he's been. Career 8.2 per-40. Goes after rebounds with one hand. Lets loose balls fly right over his head. Doesn't show great awareness or instincts when it comes to tracking the ball. Gets boxed out relatively easy on the defensive glass

If this is an accurate scouting report, then this guy has to be a top 2 pick if he comes out in 2019 along with Bagley. I admittedly have not watched him play so I'm not commenting on anything other than this write up, but this is easily one of the most impressive scouting reports that I've ever seen on DX.

Anyone know anything more about this guy?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Chol Marial 

Post#2 » by Marcus » Sat Aug 6, 2016 4:47 pm

Just watched him in one of the adidas nation games on ESPN. Super long kid, they said he hadn't been playing that long. Looks like a quick learner. Showed some nice footwork and finished with both hands. Used his lenght well and looked pretty mobile out there.

I'm definitely intrigued.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#3 » by CptCrunch » Sun Aug 7, 2016 7:26 am

I'm going to need a nice and detailed backstory on this kid.

He is from South Sudan. There have been an illustrative history of Sudanese athletes faking their age, most recently Thon Maker being at least 4 years older than his official documented DoB.
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,527

Post#4 » by shotsquatch » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm

So what's the scoop on Chol nowadays? I remember being super impressed by his highlights.

Looks like he went to Maryland but got sidelined with injury and then covid shut everything down. Hope to see more from him in the future.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Terps fan here who just noticed the thread... he's a physical specimen, and there's raw talent, but he's got a long long long way to go - and that's if he finally stays healthy. Right now, it's an adventure just for him to hold onto the ball when he gets it and not throw it away. The frame and strength issues really pale in comparison to his need to learn how to play and show he has adequate hands. He needs to earn minutes, adjust to the speed of the game, stay healthy, and not foul out in less than 10 minutes a game. Then we'll see what we got.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft