Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Who's the better prospect: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins?

Josh Jackson
54%
Andrew Wiggins
46%

Total votes: 228

freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Re: Who's better: Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#21 » by freewhitemoon » Wed Oct 5, 2016 2:09 pm

reanimator wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:
reanimator wrote:At worst, JJ is an Iggy type player if he doesn't develop in the half-court.

So his floor is an all time great defensive player? :lol:

yeah, i believe so....not sure where the humor.

It's unrealistic to project that kind of defense from any prospect let alone say that it's his worst case scenario
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#22 » by reanimator » Wed Oct 5, 2016 3:53 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:
reanimator wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:
So his floor is an all time great defensive player? :lol:

yeah, i believe so....not sure where the humor.

It's unrealistic to project that kind of defense from any prospect let alone say that it's his worst case scenario

JJ isn't just 'any prospect'
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#23 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 10:16 pm

People are losing me with the Iggy and Gerald Wallace comparisons. I hope people arent expecting this shut down type perimeter defender. Hes not anything close to that. I think the same thing that happened with Wiggins is happening with Jackson. Ya they have all the tools to be great defenders but its almost all potential. Wiggins was an average at best defender in college and so far has been a pretty bad defender in the NBA. Wiggins was a better defender in high school than Jackson is right now.

If you want an Iggy comparison then look at a guy like Justise Winslow. Winslow has all physical tools to go with being an elite defender for basically all his life. Not saying Wiggins and Jackson cant become good defenders, but you rarely see average defenders become top tier elite defenders, it happens but I wouldnt count on it. So to say worst case scenario for Jackson is Iggy, thats just not even close. Worst case scenario for Jackson is basically Gerald Green. Jackson is a solid defender but to say worst case scenario hes one of the best defenders in the league is just dumb
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#24 » by guille_4 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 10:49 pm

If Josh Jackson who's projected to be the 4th pick in 2017's draft is as good a prospect as Andrew Wiggins then this draft is STACKED.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#25 » by reanimator » Thu Oct 6, 2016 2:09 am

Duke4life831 wrote:People are losing me with the Iggy and Gerald Wallace comparisons. I hope people arent expecting this shut down type perimeter defender. Hes not anything close to that. I think the same thing that happened with Wiggins is happening with Jackson. Ya they have all the tools to be great defenders but its almost all potential. Wiggins was an average at best defender in college and so far has been a pretty bad defender in the NBA. Wiggins was a better defender in high school than Jackson is right now.

huge difference in motor and attention on that side of the ball between the 2.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 2:30 am

reanimator wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:People are losing me with the Iggy and Gerald Wallace comparisons. I hope people arent expecting this shut down type perimeter defender. Hes not anything close to that. I think the same thing that happened with Wiggins is happening with Jackson. Ya they have all the tools to be great defenders but its almost all potential. Wiggins was an average at best defender in college and so far has been a pretty bad defender in the NBA. Wiggins was a better defender in high school than Jackson is right now.

I honestly not to sure about that. Offensively I agree with you 100%, Jackson has that "give me the damn ball" killer instinct on offense, the dude is a killer on that side. Wiggins does not have that mentality at all. But if we are comparing the two as they were entering college, Wiggins was the superior defender with superior lateral quickness and a wingspan almost 3 inches longer, plus at that stage he was the better defender. Just like Wiggins, Jackson has a ton of potential defensively because of his physical abilities. But the best way I can describe Jackson on defense is hes competitive and willing. Now compare that to say Justise Winslow, Winslow was an elite defender that made scouts say Wow when he plays defense. Someone like that is when you go okay worst case scenario we know he is going to be at minimum an elite defender. Jackson is nowhere near the defender right now where you can say worst case scenario hes an all defense team type defender. Again not talking potential, talking worst case thats all.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#27 » by reanimator » Thu Oct 6, 2016 4:56 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

I honestly not to sure about that. Offensively I agree with you 100%, Jackson has that "give me the damn ball" killer instinct on offense, the dude is a killer on that side. Wiggins does not have that mentality at all. But if we are comparing the two as they were entering college, Wiggins was the superior defender with superior lateral quickness and a wingspan almost 3 inches longer, plus at that stage he was the better defender. Just like Wiggins, Jackson has a ton of potential defensively because of his physical abilities. But the best way I can describe Jackson on defense is hes competitive and willing. Now compare that to say Justise Winslow, Winslow was an elite defender that made scouts say Wow when he plays defense. Someone like that is when you go okay worst case scenario we know he is going to be at minimum an elite defender. Jackson is nowhere near the defender right now where you can say worst case scenario hes an all defense team type defender. Again not talking potential, talking worst case thats all.

In my opinion, its his best attribute outside of his vision. I'm more confident in that aspect than him being a TMac type scorer but we will just have to track this.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#28 » by freewhitemoon » Thu Oct 6, 2016 1:16 pm

guille_4 wrote:If Josh Jackson who's projected to be the 4th pick in 2017's draft is as good a prospect as Andrew Wiggins then this draft is STACKED.

Well, he's in contention for the 1st pick with a few other dudes. Sort of like 2014 when it was him, Jabari and Embiid (many even had Exum in that tier). The overall lottery does seem deeper compared to 2014- in hindsight at least
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#29 » by BillyKingGM » Thu Oct 6, 2016 5:22 pm

Better prospect? JJ

But wiggins still has a higher ceiling.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#30 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Oct 9, 2016 5:24 pm

If Jackson was offered for Wiggins on draft Minny would hang up the phone and laugh. But we live in the moment, so why not? Josh Jackson, ranked 4th on DX and who turns 20 in about 4 months, is a better prospect than Andrew Wiggins :lol:
Ivan Rabb and Malik Monk might be better than Wiggins too, idk, what do you think?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#31 » by Marcus » Sun Oct 9, 2016 5:52 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:If Jackson was offered for Wiggins on draft Minny would hang up the phone and laugh. But we live in the moment, so why not? Josh Jackson, ranked 4th on DX and who turns 20 in about 4 months, is a better prospect than Andrew Wiggins :lol:
Ivan Rabb and Malik Monk might be better than Wiggins too, idk, what do you think?

Believe the conversation is in reference to them being in the same draft.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 6:45 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:If Jackson was offered for Wiggins on draft Minny would hang up the phone and laugh. But we live in the moment, so why not? Josh Jackson, ranked 4th on DX and who turns 20 in about 4 months, is a better prospect than Andrew Wiggins :lol:

Jackson gets compared to Wiggins because of the position/size and athleticism. This is also considered one of the deepest drafts in the past decade even with Giles and his injuries. So Jackson being 4th in this draft says more about this draft than Jackson. Jackson has close to the same athleticism and far more skilled offensively and a much more aggressive alpha dog type personality. Wiggins would not go #1 in this draft
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#33 » by Justwar » Sun Oct 9, 2016 8:46 pm

Convinced if wiggins had went to either uk or Duke he would of went on to a better career. Not a fan of self in terms of making stars, yes its only one year but teaching you how to be a alpha can be done, how to use your skills to the best of your ability. At ku the high low they run tends to stifle creativity. They win games but not a place to showcase your skill or get ready for the nba.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 am

Justwar wrote:Convinced if wiggins had went to either uk or Duke he would of went on to a better career. Not a fan of self in terms of making stars, yes its only one year but teaching you how to be a alpha can be done, how to use your skills to the best of your ability. At ku the high low they run tends to stifle creativity. They win games but not a place to showcase your skill or get ready for the nba.

I agree Self isnt the greatest at showing off the skills of freshman. So if Wiggins had dropped in the draft I would agree about going to UK or Duke couldve been a better decision. But the decision they choose for their one year of college has very little effect on their long term career. The NBA team that drafts them and NBA coaching staff they get drafted by is much more important than which college they go to for 9 months
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#35 » by CptCrunch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:24 pm

You guys are acting like 10-20% more athleticism amounts to something. Being a good NBA defender only requires you to be an plus athlete.

Jackson has the basketball IQ and mentality that Wiggins will never possess. Some posters here are missing the point. I'm not saying that Jackson is guaranteed to be better than Wiggins (especially considering that Wiggins is already a 20 PPG scorer, albeit inefficient on offense and negative negative on defense). My point is that if both of them were in the same draft, this wouldn't be a question.

This draft class is undoubtedly stacked. Jackson being ranked #4 is not a knock on, but rather a testament of his abilities.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#36 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:39 pm

I don't see Jackson ending up 4th either.

He's defintely a better prospect than Dennis Smith and probably Tatum as well.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 pm

paulbball wrote:You guys are acting like 10-20% more athleticism amounts to something. Being a good NBA defender only requires you to be an plus athlete.

Jackson has the basketball IQ and mentality that Wiggins will never possess. Some posters here are missing the point. I'm not saying that Jackson is guaranteed to be better than Wiggins (especially considering that Wiggins is already a 20 PPG scorer, albeit inefficient on offense and negative negative on defense). My point is that if both of them were in the same draft, this wouldn't be a question.

This draft class is undoubtedly stacked. Jackson being ranked #4 is not a knock on, but rather a testament of his abilities.

I think 10-20% more athleticism means something if you are talking about guys whos athleticism is a weakness. For instance if Tyus Jones was 10-20% more athletic than he is right now, he would look like a guy that may be a solid starting PG one day. Also guys that depend on elite athleticism on offense, once they start to lose it you can see it. But Wiggins isnt a guy like Westbrook, you could watch a full TWolves game and not know Wiggins is an elite athlete. I agree defensively, you need a certain amount of athleticism and after that it all depends on your motor and mindset. Jackson has plenty of athleticism to have great defensive potential.

This is why Im with you that Jackson is the better prospect, the difference in athleticism doesnt really mean much at all in their games. But Jackson is the far more aggressive and confident player and he has superior offensive skills compared to Wiggins heading into KU,
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:26 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I don't see Jackson ending up 4th either.

He's defintely a better prospect than Dennis Smith and probably Tatum as well.

I think its a toss up with the top 4 guys. I think a healthy DSJ is the best prospect in the class. I think it all depends on what the team is looking for. I think you could make a legit argument for DSJ, Fultz, Jackson and Tatum for being #1
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#39 » by No-Man » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:38 pm

I dont really understand what people are projecting with Tatum, considering him as a guy that could go 1st, in any draft, is insane to me
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#40 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Yeah I don't see Tatum going first in any scenario painted with this draft unless the other 3 kids mentioned all go back for a year. I didn't even see Tatum as a top 4 or 5 guy but with Harry out and Tatum without question being the most skilled in terms of the kids we're discussing I can see where someone with his skillset might be more intriguing to a team as a day one guy than say Jon Isaac or one of the international kids. Think Lonzo has a shot to sneak in there as well but I don't forsee too many of the freshmen this year having a better season than Tatum will more than likely have. Fultz and Smith will more than likely be the closest in that regard but Tatum is friggin set with the talent around him to have a fantastic season and look very NBA complete with his ability to get looks.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft