De'Aaron Fox

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: De'Aaron Fox 

Post#41 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 am

I would take him top 4. I think he's super underrated by most.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:05 pm

Most have him ranked top 6 - that's overrating him, imo. Honestly, I don't get the love for him. He's a lot closer to Patrick Beverly than John Wall. Love his defense, but he's so sloppy penetrating against good teams - he's getting away with a lot of that in college because he's aggressive, but it's not going to work in the NBA. Wall had his sloppy moments, but he was electrifying - Fox isn't. I just don't see him as being an effective offensive player in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#43 » by cksdayoff » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:Most have him ranked top 6 - that's overrating him, imo. Honestly, I don't get the love for him. He's a lot closer to Patrick Beverly than John Wall. Love his defense, but he's so sloppy penetrating against good teams - he's getting away with a lot of that in college because he's aggressive, but it's not going to work in the NBA. Wall had his sloppy moments, but he was electrifying - Fox isn't. I just don't see him as being an effective offensive player in the NBA.

I don't think Fox has anywhere close to the handles that John Wall has either. Fox has loose handles that he can get by with in college because he's so fast.
#failforfultz
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#44 » by jonjames » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:Most have him ranked top 6 - that's overrating him, imo. Honestly, I don't get the love for him. He's a lot closer to Patrick Beverly than John Wall. Love his defense, but he's so sloppy penetrating against good teams - he's getting away with a lot of that in college because he's aggressive, but it's not going to work in the NBA. Wall had his sloppy moments, but he was electrifying - Fox isn't. I just don't see him as being an effective offensive player in the NBA.

You are underrating him if you think he's a pat beverly type. Even with hindsight you really think pat beverly would go top 6 in deep draft such as this? His floor is dennis schroeder and at worse brandon jennings. Also Fox is playing better than Wall during his freshman season.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#45 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 pm

cksdayoff wrote:

I don't think Fox has anywhere close to the handles that John Wall has either. Fox has loose handles that he can get by with in college because he's so fast.

How's that any different from Wall though? And Im not doubting Walls handle but at the college level and even for the first couple seasons in the league that was what Wall got by on. Probably always had the handle but it was his speed that he lived on, still does most of the time. I audit think Wall is faster. Probably one of the fastest guards I've ever seen
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#46 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Wall is a much better athlete overall, it's not just the speed, he has unreal balance and body control at that speed, and strength, Fox is not quite there in that regard, he has been promising finishing in the paint, but he is gonna go against bigger and stronger guys that could literally wipe him off and he is really underdeveloped frame wise.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#47 » by CptCrunch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:There's always a point guard who can't shoot taken in the top 10.

Mudiay, Payton, Rubio, Dunn, Smart, Exum.

This is a good list. Non-shooting guards have had a piss poor track record.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 am

He's 19... I think sometimes we forget how important Age is. He plays this way now, but even Russell Westbrook had to fix a lot before he became a superstar. All of Fox's issues are very much improvable.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#49 » by cedric76 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 5:35 am

Very intriguing player

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#50 » by HotelVitale » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:13 pm

paulbball wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:There's always a point guard who can't shoot taken in the top 10. Mudiay, Payton, Rubio, Dunn, Smart, Exum.

That's only true if you're only looking for the busts. Some of the best value draft picks of the last 15 years have been ball-handling athletes with questionable shots, off the top of my head:
Westbrook
Rondo
Lowry
Bledsoe
Giannis
Wade
Iguodala
Monta Ellis

Add to that guys like Rose and Wall who were top picks and performed as well as expected and there's a clear counter-balance there. Like all draft picks, elite athletes with poor shooting are gambles--they might be able to develop a shot or might be able to compensate by being dominant in other regards. There's no single 'type' of player that's destined to succeed or fail, and other types (the 3D guy, the tweener, the post-up master, etc) fail or succeed as often.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by CptCrunch » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:48 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
paulbball wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:There's always a point guard who can't shoot taken in the top 10. Mudiay, Payton, Rubio, Dunn, Smart, Exum.

That's only true if you're only looking for the busts. Some of the best value draft picks of the last 15 years have been ball-handling athletes with questionable shots, off the top of my head:
Westbrook
Rondo
Lowry
Bledsoe
Giannis
Wade
Iguodala
Monta Ellis

Add to that guys like Rose and Wall who were top picks and performed as well as expected and there's a clear counter-balance there. Like all draft picks, elite athletes with poor shooting are gambles--they might be able to develop a shot or might be able to compensate by being dominant in other regards. There's no single 'type' of player that's destined to succeed or fail, and other types (the 3D guy, the tweener, the post-up master, etc) fail or succeed as often.

Fox doesn't have a questionable shot. He has NO shot. He might be the WORST shooting guard out of all guards from both rounds this year.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#52 » by jonjames » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:23 pm

paulbball wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
paulbball wrote: This is a good list. Non-shooting guards have had a piss poor track record.

Westbrook
Rondo
Lowry
Bledsoe
Giannis
Wade
Iguodala
Monta Ellis

Fox doesn't have a questionable shot. He has NO shot. He might be the WORST shooting guard out of all guards from both rounds this year.

Monta Ellis doesn't belong on that list. He can actually shoot compared to those guys.

He has a better shot than Rondo and Rubio.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#53 » by jrob23 » Sun Mar 5, 2017 1:08 am

paulbball wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
paulbball wrote: This is a good list. Non-shooting guards have had a piss poor track record.

Westbrook
Rondo
Lowry
Bledsoe
Giannis
Wade
Iguodala
Monta Ellis

He's actually not a bad shooter if you take out 3pt shots. He's .510% on 2 pt. Comparing that to Ball .557, Monk .516, DSJ .514, Fultz .502, Bacon .484, Mason .477.

He just needs more reps. I've probably watched more Kentucky games this season than others and he has often shot the ball great w/nice form and rotation with good results. He's not asked to shoot threes much. 2 a game. The other guys all shoot double that. In his last 3 games he's hit 4-7 so he's not completely devoid of shooting talent. Thankfully for him, his defense and upside more than makes up for it. Kid will be a very good starting PG in the NBA
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by CptCrunch » Sun Mar 5, 2017 1:56 am

jrob23 wrote:
paulbball wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:That's only true if you're only looking for the busts. Some of the best value draft picks of the last 15 years have been ball-handling athletes with questionable shots, off the top of my head:
Westbrook
Rondo
Lowry
Bledsoe
Giannis
Wade
Iguodala
Monta Ellis

He's actually not a bad shooter if you take out 3pt shots. He's .510% on 2 pt. Comparing that to Ball .557, Monk .516, DSJ .514, Fultz .502, Bacon .484, Mason .477.

He just needs more reps. I've probably watched more Kentucky games this season than others and he has often shot the ball great w/nice form and rotation with good results. He's not asked to shoot threes much. 2 a game. The other guys all shoot double that. In his last 3 games he's hit 4-7 so he's not completely devoid of shooting talent. Thankfully for him, his defense and upside more than makes up for it. Kid will be a very good starting PG in the NBA

Na, Fox is a layup guard. His rim FG percentage is actually quite mediocre within the Kentucky system. I have absolutely 0 faith that he can contribute to an NBA offense.

http://hoop-math.com/Kentucky2017.php
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#55 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 5, 2017 2:06 am

jonjames wrote:
paulbball wrote: Fox doesn't have a questionable shot. He has NO shot. He might be the WORST shooting guard out of all guards from both rounds this year.
Monta Ellis doesn't belong on that list. He can actually shoot compared to those guys. He has a better shot than Rondo and Rubio.
Ellis was a miserable shooter when he came into the league, big reason (along with his size) why he lasted in the 2nd round. He developed a shot, and that's part of my point--a lot of players develop shots and pretty much all of them greatly improve their shooting.

And paulbball, you could've said the same thing about Rondo and he's had an excellent career (despite having an early decline into his current blah-ness). Point is that it's stupid to cut somebody off your prospect list because he can't do X or Y; any type of player can succeed in the NBA, you just have to be good enough at different things. I'm not commenting on Fox specifically here, just on the poor reasoning some folks are using to dismiss him. Gotta judge each player and athleticism/skillset package on its own.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#56 » by jonjames » Sun Mar 5, 2017 6:56 pm

paulbball wrote:
jrob23 wrote:
paulbball wrote:

Na, Fox is a layup guard. His rim FG percentage is actually quite mediocre within the Kentucky system. I have absolutely 0 faith that he can contribute to an NBA offense.

http://hoop-math.com/Kentucky2017.php

Fox's supposed weakness coming into college was his shot and finishing ability. Aside from the 3pt shot his mid raange is not nearly as bad some are making it out to be. His abiltiy to finish with contact has been surprisingly very good. I don't see any outstanding floor generalship from Fox but he does get into the tooth of the defense with ease and make difficult close range shots. I have no doubt that this skill will allow him to thrive even more in the more open space pro game.
jonjames
Veteran

Post#57 » by jonjames » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:00 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
jonjames wrote:
paulbball wrote: Fox doesn't have a questionable shot. He has NO shot. He might be the WORST shooting guard out of all guards from both rounds this year.
Monta Ellis doesn't belong on that list. He can actually shoot compared to those guys. He has a better shot than Rondo and Rubio.
Ellis was a miserable shooter when he came into the league, big reason (along with his size) why he lasted in the 2nd round. He developed a shot, and that's part of my point--a lot of players develop shots and pretty much all of them greatly improve their shooting.

And paulbball, you could've said the same thing about Rondo and he's had an excellent career (despite having an early decline into his current blah-ness). Point is that it's stupid to cut somebody off your prospect list because he can't do X or Y; any type of player can succeed in the NBA, you just have to be good enough at different things. I'm not commenting on Fox specifically here, just on the poor reasoning some folks are using to dismiss him. Gotta judge each player and athleticism/skillset package on its own.

Monta Ellis went into the 2nd round because of uncertainty of his true position (pg or sg) and knee concerns during the hs all star ciruits that raised red flags for gms. Ellis was known for the better early part of his career for being one of the best mid range shooters and finishers in the league. The other guys on the list are left nearly wide open by defenses bc no respect for their outside shot.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#58 » by RationalGaze » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:08 pm

Shooting is a major factor nowadays because so many people can shoot. Anyone who takes fox will have to work with him on his mid range to the 3. If fox cashes in on his potential then he'll arguably be the best in his draft, because no one has his speed.
He'll give you speed, defense, and assists from the start of the season, but don't make a highlight of his jump shots until he makes one himself.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#59 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:31 pm

jonjames wrote: Monta Ellis went into the 2nd round because of uncertainty of his true position (pg or sg) and knee concerns during the hs all star ciruits that raised red flags for gms. Ellis was known for the better early part of his career for being one of the best mid range shooters and finishers in the league. The other guys on the list are left nearly wide open by defenses bc no respect for their outside shot.
I remember him being touted as a transition scorer, lightning quick down the court and able to slice through defenses, but I wasn't paying enough attention to know about his rep as a shooter (other than that he struggled from distance). No need to fight you on that one pt, though, general point was just that you can be a weak shooter and succeed in the NBA.
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#60 » by BillyKingGM » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:34 pm

What makes Fox a better prospect than Payton? I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole in the lottery.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Return to NBA Draft