Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,581

Re: Malik Monk 

Post#61 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Marcus wrote:Do folks really believe Monk is similar to the kind of shooter Klay Thompson is?

Ya this is what im wondering as well. He's a streaky shooter but Klay is showing to be one of the greatest shooters. You take away that one huge game and he is shooting 35% on the season. He's shooting 39% on the season even with that huge game. He's a streaky shooter that when he's hot he's hot, but he can also shoot you out of a game as well. He's more of a scorer than a shooter.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#62 » by Marcus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:38 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:Do folks really believe Monk is similar to the kind of shooter Klay Thompson is?

Ya this is what im wondering as well. He's a streaky shooter but Klay is showing to be one of the greatest shooters. You take away that one huge game and he is shooting 35% on the season. He's shooting 39% on the season even with that huge game. He's a streaky shooter that when he's hot he's hot, but he can also shoot you out of a game as well. He's more of a scorer than a shooter.

I get the feeling that we're dealing with new viewers when it comes to a lot of these prospects so a good performance here and there garners these lofty comps and expectations.

Been watching some of these kids for a few years now. If the expectation for Monk is of a elite level catch and shoot guy you may be in for disappointment. He is more scorer than shooter and his shot selection is sketchy at best.

Didn't see a lot of Buddy Hield in college but from what I've seen in the pros is closer to what i think Monk gives at the next level than a Klay Thompson.

Obviously the explosion is enticing and when he's hitting he's very VERY scary but I think you'll get more bad shooting nights than explosion nights with his game being what it is.

He's a kid that needs a lot of cleaning up to be a main guy. Don't think he is or ever will be a PG. But learning to clean up his shot selection would go a long way in making him a consistent scoring threat as a number two or three guy in the league.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,581

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:28 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I get the feeling that we're dealing with new viewers when it comes to a lot of these prospects so a good performance here and there garners these lofty comps and expectations.

Been watching some of these kids for a few years now. If the expectation for Monk is of a elite level catch and shoot guy you may be in for disappointment. He is more scorer than shooter and his shot selection is sketchy at best.

Didn't see a lot of Buddy Hield in college but from what I've seen in the pros is closer to what i think Monk gives at the next level than a Klay Thompson.

Obviously the explosion is enticing and when he's hitting he's very VERY scary but I think you'll get more bad shooting nights than explosion nights with his game being what it is.

He's a kid that needs a lot of cleaning up to be a main guy. Don't think he is or ever will be a PG. But learning to clean up his shot selection would go a long way in making him a consistent scoring threat as a number two or three guy in the league.

Ya I can't blame a lot of people for not seeing these guys till now. Can't ever blame people for not watching high school ball haha.

But ya I bring up mostly JR as a comparison for Monk. Streaky shooter, but I think Monk has a higher potential. Monk does move extremely well off the ball so he has that in common with Klay but he's nowhere near the shooter he is. Monk is a very streaky shooter who's more of a scorer than shooter.

I see this a lot with Fultz as well. I browse the some team boards for their draft threads and I see a lot of people that see Fultz for the first time ever and think he's a sharp shooting PG. Its really tough to judge these guys in OOC play. Could just be a hot start or because of the bad competition.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by Marcus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:40 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya I can't blame a lot of people for not seeing these guys till now. Can't ever blame people for not watching high school ball haha.

But ya I bring up mostly JR as a comparison for Monk. Streaky shooter, but I think Monk has a higher potential. Monk does move extremely well off the ball so he has that in common with Klay but he's nowhere near the shooter he is. Monk is a very streaky shooter who's more of a scorer than shooter.

I see this a lot with Fultz as well. I browse the some team boards for their draft threads and I see a lot of people that see Fultz for the first time ever and think he's a sharp shooting PG. Its really tough to judge these guys in OOC play. Could just be a hot start or because of the bad competition.

It's why I stay out of the convos for the most part. Lonzo and Harry were the only ones I really had any questions about. The rest I pretty much had an idea of what to expect and nothing has really changed so far.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#65 » by Coeur » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

No I think people think he'll be like a better than Jamal Crawford kind of shooter.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#66 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I remember watching Ben Mclemore in college and thinking he would end up being the next Ray Allen, lol.
Expeditious
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#67 » by Expeditious » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:45 am

Goodness.

Read on Twitter

And he has 24 in the first half.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#68 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 am

If Monk could play PG he'd go 1-3, against similar length opponents no reason why he couldn't score like this.

I wonder if 76ers would consider him that high as he could play vs PGs without main ball handling with Simmons.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#69 » by eagereyez » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:15 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If Monk could play PG he'd go 1-3, against similar length opponents no reason why he couldn't score like this.

I wonder if 76ers would consider him that high as he could play vs PGs without main ball handling with Simmons.

Probably not. Even though he'd be a good fit at PG, there are other prospects who project to have a higher impact (Fultz, Jackson, Tatum). Would be thrilled if the Sixers landed him with the LA pick.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#70 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:54 am

It's interesting 2 years ago he was aware he might be undersized and said he wants to develop into a PG.

But if he's hit a hot streak as a shooter, he might not think that's necessary.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#71 » by NatiboyB » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 pm

with the right tutelage shouldn't Monk be able to play PG in the NBA long term? Not all of the current NBA PGs were natural PGs coming out of college.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Marcus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:16 pm

NatiboyB wrote:with the right tutelage shouldn't Monk be able to play PG in the NBA long term? Not all of the current NBA PGs were natural PGs coming out of college.

I think it's more of a mentality thing rather than a capability thing. He's a scorer first and foremost regardless of any and everything else. He's looking to get his which is passable in today's NBA in some cases for your PG but even if you take that part out of the equation he needs work on a few basic things PG wise. His handle, decision making, shot selection, and passing all need work in order to play the position, hell even to be the primary ball handler those things need to be worked on. Right now I still think he's a 2 with the capability to explode in or shoot you out of any given game.

When he's going he's ridiculously scary. Same could be said for a Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, Lou Williams, etc etc. and I think Monk is headed in that direction at the next level.
Watch More Basketball

BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#73 » by BillyKingGM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:37 pm

I think Monk is better off the dribble than JR Smith is, and it shows potential to grow to be able to attack the rim more in the future, though he will probably never be great at it.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#74 » by Kolkmania » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Marcus wrote:
NatiboyB wrote:with the right tutelage shouldn't Monk be able to play PG in the NBA long term? Not all of the current NBA PGs were natural PGs coming out of college.

I think it's more of a mentality thing rather than a capability thing. He's a scorer first and foremost regardless of any and everything else. He's looking to get his which is passable in today's NBA in some cases for your PG but even if you take that part out of the equation he needs work on a few basic things PG wise. His handle, decision making, shot selection, and passing all need work in order to play the position, hell even to be the primary ball handler those things need to be worked on. Right now I still think he's a 2 with the capability to explode in or shoot you out of any given game.

When he's going he's ridiculously scary. Same could be said for a Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, Lou Williams, etc etc. and I think Monk is headed in that direction at the next level.

Look at that list; handling skills, decision making, shot selection, passing mentality and skills, etc. and it's all hypothetical improvement. I'm not buying it, to me he's an undersized SG. Unless he proves to be a reliable shot creator in the halfcourt offense during conference play (this includes getting FG's at the rim), I wouldn't touch him in the top 10 or so.

From Sixers' perspective I would prefer Markelle Fultz, Jayson Tatum, Dennis Smith jr, Josh Jackson, Lonzo Ball, OG Anunoby, Jonathan Isaac, De'Aaron Fox and Frank Ntilikina to Malik Monk.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#75 » by jrob23 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Monk has an excellent shot when he gets squared and elevates. In the pros he'll get wide open shots and I think he'll be .375 + from 3 as a floor. Similar to Klay, he has the ability to get his 3 off despite pressure by simply pump faking, dribble step right/left/back, or simply rising higher. It's very advanced for his age. Anyone throwing around Hield as some negative comparison (Not saying you do) obviously doesn't watch him. He's been outstanding in the month of December shooting .484% from three. It's lazy. People use the early struggle narrative and never come off it. They regurgitate the rush to judgement articles written by pundits and "experts" and the bust labels get thrown around. The difference between him and Hield is that Monk has more upside. He's better in transition and has a very high BBIQ with solid passing and way more athleticism and all at a much younger age. He will be a high volume scorer and a heck of a SG if he can tighten up his defense.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#76 » by jonjames » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Predicted him as a top 8 pick before the season started..its looking more and more transparent he will be a high lottery pick. Out of everyone on list monk reminds me of lou the most..build/athleticism/style of play/skillset. Given green light/34+mpg Lou is 20+ppg scorer in the league.

Undersized sgs/combo
Lou Williams 6'1
Monta Ellis 6'3
Ben Gordon 6'2
Eric Gordon 6'3

Taller sgs similar skillset/athleticism
Ben Mclemore 6'5
Ray Allen 6'5
Brad Beal 6'5
J.R Smith 6'6

Converted pgs/combo
Russell Westbrook 6'3
Brandon Knight 6'3-could fall under undersize sg
CJ McCollum
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,586

Post#77 » by The Master » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:29 am

About concerns made in this thread...

Why do you compare Monk to a player (JR Smith) who one day was considered to be one of the biggest headcases in NBA, and then, why do you compare very high efficient college player to NBA player whose career %ts is below league average? And then - isn't JR considered as a player who didn't reach his potential because of his low (basketball) IQ? Same with comparison to Lou Williams, who is more ballhandler and a scorer than a spot up shooter, unlike Monk - his 50% of shots are threes. Even Curry and Reddick didn't shoot that much threes in college and that tells smoething.

Critics don't take into account how rare is to be this kind of a shooter in age of 18. Monk is shooting >11 three pointers per 40 (and > 8 three pts in reality) on 42%. This is an elite on college level even if you compare him to guys like Steph Curry. 22yo Reddick was 42% 3pt shooter with ~10 three point attempts. And yes, I know that both Curry and Reddick were definitely first options on offense in their respective teams, but still - Monk will be only 19 in February.

I don't see concerns about him being streaky shoouter either. I mean, he's only 18, and number of three pointers made by him is enormously high. I think that the most ''popular'' path for 3pt-specialists is to play in college for 3-4 years (Curry, Reddick, Klay, Gordon, Korver Hield etc.) and then being drafted. Fun fact - Monk is an elite shooter as a freshman. What kind of a player he would be in his 3rd season?

Nevertheless, I see two main issues with Monk:

1) volume scoring is overrated by fans; Monk maybe will be someday great in it, but he's lacking versatility
2) what is his position in NBA? if he will be a normal SG non-covered by better defensively PG, he may be in troubles while defending bigger opponents

Still, his upside in terms of volume scoring is very high, especially considering how current league is turning into 3pt contest. And I see him as a very safe pick, because he has big base in his future progame in his shot, so even if he won't reach his potential, he would still be some valiable scorer.

It's quite interesting how his game will develop on another level, because honestly I think that his raw athleticism and speed in combination or rather good ball handling (especially for SG) with his long quality range may give something very interesting.

He is top10 pick in this draft, I have him on #7.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Marcus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:04 am

The Master wrote:About concerns made in this thread...

Why do you compare Monk to a player (JR Smith) who one day was considered to be one of the biggest headcases in NBA, and then, why do you compare very high efficient college player to NBA player whose career %ts is below league average? And then - isn't JR considered as a player who didn't reach his potential because of his low (basketball) IQ? Same with comparison to Lou Williams, who is more ballhandler and a scorer than a spot up shooter, unlike Monk - his 50% of shots are threes. Even Curry and Reddick didn't shoot that much threes in college and that tells smoething.

Critics don't take into account how rare is to be this kind of a shooter in age of 18. Monk is shooting >11 three pointers per 40 (and > 8 three pts in reality) on 42%. This is an elite on college level even if you compare him to guys like Steph Curry. 22yo Reddick was 42% 3pt shooter with ~10 three point attempts. And yes, I know that both Curry and Reddick were definitely first options on offense in their respective teams, but still - Monk will be only 19 in February.

I don't see concerns about him being streaky shoouter either. I mean, he's only 18, and number of three pointers made by him is enormously high. I think that the most ''popular'' path for 3pt-specialists is to play in college for 3-4 years (Curry, Reddick, Klay, Gordon, Korver Hield etc.) and then being drafted. Fun fact - Monk is an elite shooter as a freshman. What kind of a player he would be in his 3rd season?

Nevertheless, I see two main issues with Monk:

1) volume scoring is overrated by fans; Monk maybe will be someday great in it, but he's lacking versatility
2) what is his position in NBA? if he will be a normal SG non-covered by better defensively PG, he may be in troubles while defending bigger opponents

Still, his upside in terms of volume scoring is very high, especially considering how current league is turning into 3pt contest. And I see him as a very safe pick, because he has big base in his future progame in his shot, so even if he won't reach his potential, he would still be some valiable scorer.

It's quite interesting how his game will develop on another level, because honestly I think that his raw athleticism and speed in combination or rather good ball handling (especially for SG) with his long quality range may give something very interesting.

He is top10 pick in this draft, I have him on #7.

Pretty sure the JR Smith comparisons as well as the Lou Will comparisons are based on Monks ability to get hot at any given moment and has nothing to do with anything off court.
Watch More Basketball

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#79 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Malik monk should be compared to kobe Bryant (minus the defense and passing) not jr smith. What he is doing as a freshman is insane. He has zero holes as a scorer... as a freshman. If this kid doesn't go top 3 it will be a travesty. He's better than Jackson
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#80 » by hcsilla » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If Monk could play PG he'd go 1-3,

He can go 2-3, anyway.

Return to NBA Draft