Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#141 » by KobesScarf » Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 am

mattao313 wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:
Worm122 wrote:I cant see as bad thing try to acquire a new tool on his game, this is right time to try development his game, the NBA has evolved to a new style where you have to be at least a good 3 point shooter

At this stage he should be triple downing on his strengths and developing aspects that compliment those strengths. Any second he spends spotting up at the 3pts line is taking him away from what he does best and continuing to stunt his growth. If he's the next great one he'll make the NBA adapt to him.

How does shooting 3's not compliment his strengths as a slasher? Seems like a 3pt shoot would elevate his slashing game more since it would not only give him another scoring option it'll also make guys guard him closer so driving past them will be easier.

Because the thing that can make him special is his rebounding anything that takes him away from the rim is bad for his game.
KobesScarf
Veteran

Post#142 » by KobesScarf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 am

Zion coming off injury looking better than ever. I really hope he's got self awareness to stop trying to be a perimeter wing and focus on crashing the glass.

jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#143 » by jonjames » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 pm

KobesScarf wrote:Zion coming off injury looking better than ever. I really hope he's got self awareness to stop trying to be a perimeter wing and focus on crashing the glass.

Why? Hes a small forward with power forward size. He played guard most of his life until he hit a growth spurt.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#144 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
Worm122 wrote:I cant see as bad thing try to acquire a new tool on his game, this is right time to try development his game, the NBA has evolved to a new style where you have to be at least a good 3 point shooter

At this stage he should be triple downing on his strengths and developing aspects that compliment those strengths. Any second he spends spotting up at the 3pts line is taking him away from what he does best and continuing to stunt his growth. If he's the next great one he'll make the NBA adapt to him.

He's 17 years old. At this stage in his career he should be trying to diversify his skillset as much as possible. He's got the explosiveness, the frame, the handle, and the finishing ability inside the paint. Adding a 3-ball and some range/consistency on his jumper is probably the best way for him to open up those driving opportunities for him. It's easier to learn to rebound than it is to learn and shoot. I see no downside to him starting to work on those aspects of his game now.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
KobesScarf
Veteran

Post#145 » by KobesScarf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

He's 17 years old. At this stage in his career he should be trying to diversify his skillset as much as possible. He's got the explosiveness, the frame, the handle, and the finishing ability inside the paint. Adding a 3-ball and some range/consistency on his jumper is probably the best way for him to open up those driving opportunities for him. It's easier to learn to rebound than it is to learn and shoot. I see no downside to him starting to work on those aspects of his game now.

The abilities that make him special are his strength, explosive leaping, hands and timing. Also a surprisingly good finesse finisher. The best way to deploy those abilities is by crashing the boards. At 17 you develop the areas that compliment that not ones where your upside is limited. Especially playing on the perimeter which is very easy to get drunk with and he ends up tailoring his body to being that kind of wing instead of having a Ben Wallace type physique.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#146 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

The abilities that make him special are his strength, explosive leaping, hands and timing. Also a surprisingly good finesse finisher. The best way to deploy those abilities is by crashing the boards. At 17 you develop the areas that compliment that not ones where your upside is limited. Especially playing on the perimeter which is very easy to get drunk with and he ends up tailoring his body to being that kind of wing instead of having a Ben Wallace type physique.

Why do you assume that there is limited upside on his range/jumpshot? That's a very rash assumption at this point in his development.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#147 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:19 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

But wouldnt he be even a bigger threat with his explosiveness and finishing around the rim if defenders had to play up on him out to the 3pt line? No defender will be able to stay in front of him if they have to respect his jumpshot, which then means he will be almost impossible to stop when you mix that in with his driving ability and freak athleticism and strength.

I dont think anyone is saying he should tailor his game after Klay Thompson or JJ Redick. But adding a 3pt shot that defenders have to respect automatically opens his game up tremendously in the half court, not just on the ball but off the ball as well.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#148 » by EvanZ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm

KobesScarf wrote:

LMAO, says this dude with the Phil Jackson+Kobe avatar. :lol:

I love how this guy thinks the direction of causation is that if you shoot 3's you will lose a Ben Wallace physique. Yeah, Klay should stop shooting 3's, he could become LeBron!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#149 » by Prez » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't know how anyone could watch the league today and come away thinking someone shouldn't develop their jumpshot/range and diversify their game. Especially when we're talking a 17 year old prospect with around two decades of skill development potential in front of him.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,309

Post#150 » by Ambrose » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Dude shot 30% from high school 3 and 67% from the line. Shooting is obviously a big weakness for him and something he needs to improve.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#151 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 pm

crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#152 » by crazy_me_87 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am

Ambrose wrote:Dude shot 30% from high school 3 and 67% from the line. Shooting is obviously a big weakness for him and something he needs to improve.

True.

Yet Shooting is they "easiest" Thing to Improve. If we assume a good to great work Ethic(wich he reportetly has) at least a small Improvement is almost guaranteed with proper NBA Training, Shooting Coaches etc..

Guys like Zion or Ben Simmons dont need to become 40% Shooters from Deep... 30-34% is enough to make you unguardable. Ask Any athletic Wing... MJ,Kobe,VC, Lebron etc. The better you can get that Shooting the better of course but as long as you can make 1/3 Threes or 2/6 ..3/9 etc the Defense cant leave you totally alone.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#153 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:22 pm

reanimator wrote:

I'm still very cautious but he's bringing me around a bit.

Like I've said before, only Barkley and Larry Johnson have really succeeded with this body type/athleticism at that age.

There's always room for new generational talent though, he might just be the next Barkley if he can continue to develop his skills.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#154 » by reanimator » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:Dude shot 30% from high school 3 and 67% from the line. Shooting is obviously a big weakness for him and something he needs to improve.

True.

Yet Shooting is they "easiest" Thing to Improve. If we assume a good to great work Ethic(wich he reportetly has) at least a small Improvement is almost guaranteed with proper NBA Training, Shooting Coaches etc..

Guys like Zion or Ben Simmons dont need to become 40% Shooters from Deep... 30-34% is enough to make you unguardable. Ask Any athletic Wing... MJ,Kobe,VC, Lebron etc. The better you can get that Shooting the better of course but as long as you can make 1/3 Threes or 2/6 ..3/9 etc the Defense cant leave you totally alone.

Zion is a much more willing pull up shooter with better mechanics than Ben IMO. Doesn't have anywhere near the vision or shiftiness as a ballhandler though.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,309

Post#155 » by Ambrose » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:

True.

He's shooting 30% at a high school level not NBA. So he has a ways to go.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#156 » by crazy_me_87 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Ambrose wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:

True.

He's shooting 30% at a high school level not NBA. So he has a ways to go.

I didnt say anything different. Its just almost a basketball law that almost everybody whose Jumper is not fundamentally Broken.. and Zions isnt... will get better over Time. If "Better" means that he tops out as a 28% NBA 3pt Shooter or 35% i cant say.. but he will improve more likely than not.
BarnesTheSavior
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#157 » by BarnesTheSavior » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:09 am

Was watching him against Little (beast btw). He reminds me so much of Julius Randle in high school with elite hops. Right down to the, this dude would destroy in the paint if didn't want to roam on the perimeter quality. There's a fine line between Blake Griffin and Josh Smith. Zion ain't either and he dominates whichever way now because of the competition, but I really hope he realizes his money is around the basket when the talent level increases.
ATL DirtyBird wrote:punch that asian dude.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,078

Post#158 » by The-Power » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:40 am

I'm probably one of the last few skeptics left. There's something about that physique and playing style that sits uneasy with me and makes me seriously question his status as the next big thing. His highlights sure are fun to watch, though.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#159 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:13 pm

The-Power wrote:I'm probably one of the last few skeptics left. There's something about that physique and playing style that sits uneasy with me and makes me seriously question his status as the next big thing. His highlights sure are fun to watch, though.

Nope I'm still somewhat a skeptic too.

I don't doubt that he will be a good player in the league, his unbelievable athleticism will at bare minimum make him a lob threat and give him the ability to blow by people on drives to the basket as he continues to develop his ballhandling. But these LeBron comparisons are ridiculous, he's nowhere near the passer but like him he isn't a shooter either not to mention I haven't heard of him or seen any footage where he looked to be a great defender. To really become a "generational talent" he will need to improve in one of these areas. Most generational talents has some sort of elite SKILL not just physical trait (although that's typically a part of the package as well). I'm not ruling out that he can be the next big time player, just saying I'm not sold that he is just yet.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#160 » by EvanZ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

He's not super long. 6'10" wingspan is basically Blake Griffin. Elite wings (not to mention bigs) are very long.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft