Lauri Markkanen - How high can he go in the draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Re: Lauri Markkanen - How high can he go in the draft? 

Post#61 » by millslapper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Don't like the Dirk comparisions. To be anywhere near him you have to have an versatile offensive game, should be able to put the ball on the floor, be good in transition and generally a very good scorer, not more or less a pure shooter. Pure shooters get exposed in the playoffs, great scorers still shine.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#62 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 pm

The Kings seem like a good fit for him since they have a very good young defensive center in WCS.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#63 » by 916fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:The Kings seem like a good fit for him since they have a very good young defensive center in WCS.

Neither player can rebound though. Willie played 35mins the other night and grabbed 5 rebounds. We'd be a real liability on the boards with that pairing. However, playing Markkanen at the 4 would allow Willie to slide in and act as a rim protector. Just not sure who rebounds.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#64 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:58 am

Had him too low a couple weeks ago.

Even though I don't think he's likely to be a starter, he's good value in the late lotto-mid first.
I've started to see more positive signs of guarding in space too--thought he looked pretty good here against oregon in the pac 12 championship game.

I still worry about how he'll look on long closeouts playing the 4 in the nba since that's where he'll have to play early in his career, but he should have a chance to be ok in space/pnr down the road.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#65 » by Kings2013 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm

916fan wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:The Kings seem like a good fit for him since they have a very good young defensive center in WCS.

Neither player can rebound though. Willie played 35mins the other night and grabbed 5 rebounds. We'd be a real liability on the boards with that pairing. However, playing Markkanen at the 4 would allow Willie to slide in and act as a rim protector. Just not sure who rebounds.

Skal is a good fit, and future at the 4. Markannen is too similar in position for me
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#66 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

916fan wrote:

I think Markkanen has improved his rebounding over the season. In conference play he averaged just over 10 boards per 40, thats the same as Drummond and Tristan Thompson their one year in college. Not saying hes going to be as good as those two, but 10 boards per 40 is pretty solid.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#67 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 pm

916fan wrote:

Yeah, true.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#68 » by SaintofKillers » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:18 am

millslapper wrote:Don't like the Dirk comparisions. To be anywhere near him you have to have an versatile offensive game, should be able to put the ball on the floor, be good in transition and generally a very good scorer, not more or less a pure shooter. Pure shooters get exposed in the playoffs, great scorers still shine.

From what I've seen, he can put the ball on the floor and either pull up or go all the way... albeit his finishing ability isn't there yet. But these two elements are critical when it comes to Dirk wannabes (usually they can just fake the outside shot and drive but not stop on a dime) and he certainly has them.

Dirk was very capable of cross-overs when he was young, though. Not sure if Lauri can do that yet.
AdotSmoove
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#69 » by AdotSmoove » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 am

I think with the 5th pick there is a realistic argument. I wouldn't but at the 5-9 the talent differences aren't much, so it's just a matter of gm preference

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#70 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 am

Depends entirely on who declares, but as the draft order stacks up I think the earliest I'd consider drafting him is 13th, where the Bulls will likely pick
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#71 » by The-Power » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Over the last two games, Markkanen took only 1 (!) 3Pt shot. Meanwhile, he's been 12/15 on 2's and 7/10 from the line.

Over the last nine games, he's 45/75 (60% on 5.0/8.3 2PA/G) on 2's and 39/47 (83% on 4.3/5.2 FTA/G) from the line. He has really shown his inside game as both numbers are well above his season averages. Really impressive development over the course of a single season which bodes well for his future game.

Should encourage NBA teams to see him as a more advanced scorer considering he played his best basketball of the season amidst a cold stretch from behind the arc (only 9/33 (27%) on only 3.7 3PA/G). Pretty rare to be at your best offensively - with some of his best defensive games also happening during that stretch - when your main strength hasn't really been there.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#72 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 pm

I love him. There are some concerns about his athleticism but I think he's a better defending Ryan Anderson.

The guy is as pure of a shooter as they come as a big

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#73 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Kevin Love without rebounding.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#74 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:40 am

He's somewhere between Ryan Anderson and Frank Kaminsky with a splash of defense.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#75 » by Thespianoid » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:28 am

doordoor123 wrote:He's somewhere between Ryan Anderson and Frank Kaminsky with a splash of defense.

tbh instead of those guys, he seriously reminds me of a better version of Jon Leuer. maybe slightly less athletic/creative in the air than Leuer but more coordinated off the dribble and better overall leaping ability than either of Anderson/Kaminsky. Subtle differences but IMO key to whether or not he can play the PF spot at times.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#76 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:He's somewhere between Ryan Anderson and Frank Kaminsky with a splash of defense.

tbh instead of those guys, he seriously reminds me of a better version of Jon Leuer. maybe slightly less athletic/creative in the air than Leuer but more coordinated off the dribble and better overall leaping ability than either of Anderson/Kaminsky. Subtle differences but IMO key to whether or not he can play the PF spot at times.

I was just throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks. You're right though. He really is kind of in a mold of his own.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#77 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:49 am

He's getting smashed on defense by college scrubs and is always the last player to trot into the Arizona offense.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#78 » by whitehops » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 am

i've only seen very limited footage of him but how does he stack up to henry ellenson as a prospect offensively speaking? there's no question markkanen had a better shot than ellenson (ellenson's improved since - 35% on 6 attempts in the d league) but ellenson had a more versatile offensive game, including his ability to put the ball on the floor. obviously he's not as bad a defender as ellenson was.

just trying to gauge markkanen before i watch his tape - i've seen him compared to ryno, kaminsky and leuer and ellenson kind of fits that mold.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,764

Post#79 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 am

This kid can actually put the ball on the floor though. I honestly don't know where he fits because he has so much work to do on his body, but anytime you have a 7'0 player that can attack the basket with the dribble, that's intriguing.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#80 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 am

whitehops wrote:i've only seen very limited footage of him but how does he stack up to henry ellenson as a prospect offensively speaking? there's no question markkanen had a better shot than ellenson (ellenson's improved since - 35% on 6 attempts in the d league) but ellenson had a more versatile offensive game, including his ability to put the ball on the floor. obviously he's not as bad a defender as ellenson was.

just trying to gauge markkanen before i watch his tape - i've seen him compared to ryno, kaminsky and leuer and ellenson kind of fits that mold.

He is not only a better shooter, he blows Ellenson, Kaminsky and Leuer there, with Anderson is closer, still think Lauri is a better more versatile shooter, Anderson is a better passer.
Lauri can put it on the floor against close-outs, solid defending on the post, can box out okay, not much of a passer, esp on the move.

I never liked Ellenson because he didnt do enough for me in either end, offensively he wants to do things that arent all that useful unless you are superdupergood, and he isnt, and defensively he is really bad.

Return to NBA Draft