Players that will regret not entering 2016 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Players that will regret not entering 2016 draft 

Post#1 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Jan 1, 2017 3:22 pm

The ones that stick out for me are Ivan Rabb, Melo Trimble and Dwayne Bacon.

Ivan Rabb

Rabb is the one I think it will hurt the most. I truly believe if he went through the workout process the Celtics would have ended up picking him #3. He's a much better fit for the C's in terms of position and has just as much potential as Jayln Brown. One thing he does have going for him is it's a guard heavy draft. A team may reach to grab a Rabb due need of a big. Even still, no way he comes any where close to going #3 in 2017. His floor last year was probably the 9th pick with the Raptors. I doubt he even goes top 10 and he's played good this year.

Melo Trimble

The 2016 draft was so bad, Melo might have had a chance to get drafted late in the 1st round last year. Knowing how deep the 2017 draft was going to be with Point guards, he should have known there's no way he gets drafted 1st round in 2017. Literally has no chance at all unless he goes Kemba in March which I doubt will happen because he doesn't have the shot. I doubt he even gets drafted in the 2nd round in 2017 tbh

Dwayne Bacon

Even after his amazing performance against Virginia, it's going to be hard for him to crack the lottery in the 2017 draft. I think regardless of the stats he puts up, Issac is always going to be considered the better prospect. There's so many guards at the top of this draft he'll probably get picked in the 20's....possibly early 2nd round. I liked him better than Beasley last year and many scouts did as well. He ended up going 19th, I think Bacon would have went lottery last year.....not happening this year.

Any other players you think will regret not entering 2016 draft?

BTW I hate getting on people for not leaving school so I lowkey feel bad. Trimble may be a bad choice because he might be realistic with his abilities and not have NBA dreams. Finishing school may be his priority. The other two I feel less bad about because they'll leave before they graduate and 3 or 2 years in college is no different than 1....you still don't have a degree unless you fast track.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,260

Re: Players that will regret not entering 2016 draft 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Jan 1, 2017 5:40 pm

Trimble didn't make a bad decision. He declared, got feedback and found out NBA teams didn't value him that much. He would've had to fight to stay in the league and he decided to take his chance on improving in college. No guarantee he was going in the first round, I mean Demetrius Jackson didn't go first round and he was a better athlete and player.

Also Dwayne Bacon still may be picked in the first round. He looks like a pro, body, length and all. Rabb, I think he may end up getting a degree, because I don't understand turning down being a lotto pick, but Kris Dunn did it in 2015 and still went top 5 the next year. You never know.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#3 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:21 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Trimble didn't make a bad decision. He declared, got feedback and found out NBA teams didn't value him that much. He would've had to fight to stay in the league and he decided to take his chance on improving in college. No guarantee he was going in the first round, I mean Demetrius Jackson didn't go first round and he was a better athlete and player.

Also Dwayne Bacon still may be picked in the first round. He looks like a pro, body, length and all. Rabb, I think he may end up getting a degree, because I don't understand turning down being a lotto pick, but Kris Dunn did it in 2015 and still went top 5 the next year. You never know.

I get that he didn't get good feed back after declaring, but he had to know with Ball, Smith Jr, Fultz, Frank, Fox, Frank Jackson, Monk, Edmond Summers, Jawan Evans all in the 2017 draft class, he'd have a much better chance in 2016.

If you count Monk as a PG, that's 9 point guards projected ahead of him in 2017. Most teams are already locked in at PG throughout the NBA, I doubt 1/3 of the NBA will take a PG in next draft. He has ZERO chance at a 1st round pick this year. You can't say he had zero chance last year. Scouts probably told him he colud fall to the 2nd round last draft but in this draft I promise they'll say HE WILL fall to the 2nd round. All the other point guards are younger and better. He screwed up!
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#4 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:23 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Trimble didn't make a bad decision. He declared, got feedback and found out NBA teams didn't value him that much. He would've had to fight to stay in the league and he decided to take his chance on improving in college. No guarantee he was going in the first round, I mean Demetrius Jackson didn't go first round and he was a better athlete and player.

I get that he didn't get good feed back after declaring, but he had to know with Ball, Smith Jr, Fultz, Frank, Fox, Frank Jackson, Monk, Edmond Summers, Jawan Evans all in the 2017 draft class, he'd have a much better chance in 2016.

If you count Monk as a PG, that's 9 point guards projected ahead of him in 2017. Most teams are already locked in at PG throughout the NBA, I doubt 1/3 of the NBA will take a PG in next draft. He has ZERO chance at a 1st round pick this year. You can't say he had zero chance last year. Scouts probably told him he colud fall to the 2nd round last draft but in this draft I promise they'll say HE WILL fall to the 2nd round. All the other point guards are younger and better. He screwed up!

This literally has no bearing on him declaring or not. He received feedback that he was firmly in the 2nd round as a sophomore. He is probably going to be a four year player at Maryland, making him eligible in 2018. He didn't mess up by not going pro earlier. NBA teams and scouts told him that being a first rounder was unlikely, so he was going to have to grind for a contract. He hedged his bets to delay taking a shot at the pros. That is called a smart decision.

If he was a lotto pick or even top-20, he would have stayed in the draft. He's not as highly regarded in NBA circles as you may think.
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#5 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:36 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

This literally has no bearing on him declaring or not. He received feedback that he was firmly in the 2nd round as a sophomore. He is probably going to be a four year player at Maryland, making him eligible in 2018. He didn't mess up by not going pro earlier. NBA teams and scouts told him that being a first rounder was unlikely, so he was going to have to grind for a contract. He hedged his bets to delay taking a shot at the pros. That is called a smart decision.

If he was a lotto pick or even top-20, he would have stayed in the draft. He's not as highly regarded in NBA circles as you may think.

I'm just looking at Melo's situation and what's most realistic. 2016 was one of the worst drafts of all time and imo his best chance at getting drafted in the 1st round. If you were a bubble player in that draft, chances are you will never make it. As I pointed out above, he has no chance in this draft and the longer you stay in college the farther you fall in the draft. This is proven. Being a senior entering the draft will hurt his stock no matter how you does that year.

At least if he went out last year he was young enough for a GM to still use "potential" What he might become as a reason to take him. Considering how bad the draft was last year I think it was his only shot at getting drafted in the 1st round. With Millions of dollars on the table I would have consulted him to enter in 2016...think he had a shot.

Know he won't have a shot in 2017 with 9 point guards ranked above him and doubt after seeing him this year he'll get picked in the 1st round the year after as a Senior
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#6 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:41 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

I'm just looking at Melo's situation and what's most realistic. 2016 was one of the worst drafts of all time and imo his best chance at getting drafted in the 1st round. If you were a bubble player in that draft, chances are you will never make it. As I pointed out above, he has no chance in this draft and the longer you stay in college the farther you fall in the draft. This is proven. Being a senior entering the draft will hurt his stock no matter how you does that year.

At least if he went out last year he was young enough for a GM to still use "potential" What he might become as a reason to take him. Considering how bad the draft was last year I think it was his only shot at getting drafted in the 1st round. With Millions of dollars on the table I would have consulted him to enter in 2016...think he had a shot.

Know he won't have a shot in 2017 with 9 point guards ranked above him and doubt after seeing him this year he'll get picked in the 1st round the year after as a Senior

Then he will have his degree and go play in Europe. He already declared and they told him he wasn't ready and wasn't going to likely get a guaranteed contract, what part of this aren't you understanding? Why would he stay in the draft and roll the dice? Pride? Maybe he improves while he's in college and they seem him more favorably as a senior. This is actually a job. If you don't earn a contract, you're in the D-League or off to Europe.

Not everyone can play in the NBA when they want to be there. He wanted to go after his freshman year, but they didn't like him then either. When a guy declares and goes back to school, that should tell you everything about their draft status.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:54 pm

Grayson Allen
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#8 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:05 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Then he will have his degree and go play in Europe. He already declared and they told him he wasn't ready and wasn't going to likely get a guaranteed contract, what part of this aren't you understanding? Why would he stay in the draft and roll the dice? Pride? Maybe he improves while he's in college and they seem him more favorably as a senior. This is actually a job. If you don't earn a contract, you're in the D-League or off to Europe.

Not everyone can play in the NBA when they want to be there. He wanted to go after his freshman year, but they didn't like him then either. When a guy declares and goes back to school, that should tell you everything about their draft status.

not pride it's called $. Most mocks had him late 1st last year, this year he's 2nd round in all. Do you think he's going 1st round this year?

i I mentioned at the bottom he was a bad choice in the original post bc imo he's not a 1st round pick or an NBA player!!! And he might realize that which is why I can't fault him for going to school. I only brought it up because the draft was so weak I thought a non NBA player could steal some money.

All I said, is at the end of the day the 2016 draft was his best chance at getting picked in the 1st round. He declared for the draft Twice so obviously basketball is something he wants to do for a living, right? Are you denying how weak the 2016 draft was?

Just be real, we all know what will happen now. Scouts will say 9 point guards are ranked above you, won't get drafted in 2017. He'll go back for his 4th year enter the 2018 draft and go undrafted because he's a senior.

like I said, 2016 was his best shot at getting picked in the 1st round. I stand by that.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#9 » by sipclip » Sun Jan 1, 2017 10:08 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

I'm not sure why you would already consider the 2016 draft one of the worst of all time. We aren't even 40 games in and it was an incredibly young draft. Within a few years I think this will be considered one of the deepest drafts that we have seen in quite a while.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#10 » by Coeur » Mon Jan 2, 2017 12:47 am

None of them will regret it. Hopefully it makes them better and then once everyone sees how week this draft will end up being 20-60. I love the first 10-12 though and there are a good group of high potential guys 10-20 that could make it a deep draft. But I don't like the 2nd round much from the looks of it.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#11 » by jrob23 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 1:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Grayson Allen

right? wow that was dumb. He'll be lucky to sneak into the 1st round now. Maybe he just loves college life.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 1:44 am

jrob23 wrote:

right? wow that was dumb. He'll be lucky to sneak into the 1st round now. Maybe he just loves college life.

I have a hard time seeing him making it in the 1st round this year. It maybe smart for him to come back and try in the 2018 draft that doesn't have close to the same amount of depth as this one.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:38 am

Rabb and Grayson for sure
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#14 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:09 am

I'm pretty confident Boston wouldn't have taken Rabb. They took Brown because they believed the kid has the most upside. I don't think staying was a bad choice for Rabb, he just hasn't shown much improvement from last season. Part of that might be because of the hand injury, not sure, he could still be a top then pick though if he plays better/more aggressive. Same wth Bacon, his shot as actually looked much improved and I don't believe his draft stock has taken much of hit, if not has gotten better.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:46 am

Rabb seems to be projecting to a similar draft position so not a big deal for him. last years draft though not top heavy was deep. i think fringe NBA players like Trimble might actually get drafted higher this year than would have last year.
Sign here
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#16 » by Vesper » Mon Jan 2, 2017 1:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
jrob23 wrote:

I have a hard time seeing him making it in the 1st round this year. It maybe smart for him to come back and try in the 2018 draft that doesn't have close to the same amount of depth as this one.

It's good.

The lakers will pick him up
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#17 » by LonZoBallin » Mon Jan 2, 2017 9:10 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Rabb seems to be projecting to a similar draft position so not a big deal for him. last years draft though not top heavy was deep. i think fringe NBA players like Trimble might actually get drafted higher this year than would have last year.

I don't see how it is deep. Only 2 players Sabonis and Pacal , that were picked outside the top 10 are even playing in the league. Everyone else is overseas, in the D-league or nailed to the bench.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Players that will regret not entering 2016 draft 

Post#18 » by sipclip » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:22 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Rabb seems to be projecting to a similar draft position so not a big deal for him. last years draft though not top heavy was deep. i think fringe NBA players like Trimble might actually get drafted higher this year than would have last year.

I don't see how it is deep. Only 2 players Sabonis and Pacal , that were picked outside the top 10 are even playing in the league. Everyone else is overseas, in the D-league or nailed to the bench.

It is 40 games in buddy. Talk to us in 3yrs if these kids still aren't getting minutes and producing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
LonZoBallin
Rookie

Post#19 » by LonZoBallin » Mon Jan 2, 2017 11:25 pm

sipclip wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

It is 40 games in buddy. Talk to us in 3yrs if these kids still aren't getting minutes and producing.

you can't proclaim it deep when no one outside the top 10 is even playing...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 3, 2017 5:38 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
sipclip wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

you can't proclaim it deep when no one outside the top 10 is even playing...

Brodgon starts for Milwaukee. Sabonis started yesterday. It's too early to come to any conclusion, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft