Jonathon Isaac

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Re: Jonathon Isaac 

Post#41 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:I don't see that level of defense coming from Isaac at all... I think your projecting some serious ability unto his defense without reasonable supporting evidence here. To say that his pessimistic view is that high a level of defense is lunacy, I'm sorry... It just is. If that was his defensive floor he's easily looking at vying for the top overall pick... which is extremely doubtful.

What is your evidence to say he isn't going to be a really good defender? I mean, don't call me out on not relying on evidence when you have done nothing to justify your opinion except for saying "I don't see it" or "Sounds like Aminu to me". As I already stated, evidence at the college level is not only scarce but also even less meaningful than at the NBA level because these players are all projects. Disagree with me as much as you want, I'm aware that my projections don't necessarily turn out to be right. But to criticize my takes based on a lack of supporting evidence while providing nothing but unsubstantiated claims yourself is disingenuous.

Anyhow, you can be assured that I've scouted Isaac a lot this year and make my projections based on video tapes I have. You can reach a different conclusion, sure, but that's not the point. Note that I also wasn't talking about his floor as you seem to be believe. His floor would be what he currently is and obviously I'm not going to argue as if he doesn't develop at all (or even very little). I was talking about a rather pessimistic scenario, there's an important difference. In such a scenario I don't see him as much more than a shooter/off-ball player on offense whereas I'm confident that he's going to be a good defender for reasons I already mentioned (desire, learning curve, only recent transformation, versatily, length, willingness to play physical - all of it combined with flashes he's already shown in his freshman year).

As far as evidence is concerned. Well, I don't excatly like the boxscore to determine defensive impact for ability but unfortunately we don't have more advanced metrics to include in our statistical analysis. He averages 2.8 Steals and 3.4 Blocks per 100 (6.2 combined). For comparison sake - just to name a few players who are similar position-wise and turned out to be good defenders or are regarded as potentially good defenders (numbers from college): Josh Jackson 3.2/2.1 (5.3), Draymond Green 3.1/2.0 (5.1), Kawhi Leonard 2.7/1.1 (3.9), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 1.8/1.9 (3.7), Otto Porter 2.9/1.7 (4.6). Isaac's DBPM is at 6.4. Jackson (5.7), Green (7.3), Leonard (5.2), MKG (4.1) and Porter (5.6) all rank lower except for Green (in his 3rd and 4th year, earlier data isn't available). He's also an absolutely dominant (defensive) rebounder (16.3 TRB per 100, 23.6 DRB%, 8.5 ORB%, 16.4 TRB%) - and while rebounding is affected by roles and schemes a) it's less relevant in college, b) rebounding translates fairly well into the NBA and c) you can see that Isaac is a good rebounder simply by watching tape on him. Obviously, these numbers by themselves don't mean much but it shows that Isaac's defensive boxscore production is up there with - or even better than - the production of some of the best defensive forwards in the NBA when they were in college.

And then you watch him play and realize what potential he has. I made a GIF recently where some of his potential is on full display.
Spoiler:

He checks his man impeccably from start to finish, then rotates over nicely and gets the block after recovering twice and wins the rebound battle with hustle, length and savvy. And it's really not hard to find impressive defensive possessions from Isaac. I believe that his defense translates well into the NBA - after he gets used to the physicality - considering the tools and mindset he has. That's why I believe that him reaching the level of current Durant defensively - perhaps even with more consistency depending on his offensive role - is a reasonable projection and that would be a borderline All-Defensive Forward.

He has the potential to be a star, for sure. I'm just not convinced he reaches that plateau or even close to it.

Sure, fair enough. Neither am I.

I will only add that, as already mentioned above, I believe the determining factor for reaching his potential is going to be his improvement on offense (in basically every area (perhaps most importantly his handles but also finishing around the rim, shooting consistency, passing game, coordination and exploiting mismatches consistently)) and not his defense. I can't say with certainty how good exactly he's going to be defensively but I see him being a good defender for his position at worst and a great defender at best regardless.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#42 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 pm

About ready to go against Tatum in less than an hour... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1533451
The-Power
General Manager

Post#43 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:About ready to go against Tatum in less than an hour... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1533451

Can't wait! Not only Isaac vs. Tatum but Duke vs. Florida State should make for a great game, too!
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#44 » by PLO » Wed Mar 1, 2017 2:35 am

Game was a bit of a squib, not much mano e mano between Tatum/Isaac, neither really added or detracted from their resumes.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#45 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 2:41 am

I think you saw the differences in their overall games at the moment today. Neither were scoring great but you still saw Tatum get rebounds, assists, steals and blocks and you still felt his impact on the game even though it wasnt a wow performance. Isaac was very quiet and didnt really do anything today either than rebound.

But I agree that neither really added or detracted from their resumes, just shows the different skill levels theyre currently at. But I dont think its anything new for people to think Tatum has the edge over Isaac skill wise right now.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#46 » by jrob23 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:09 am

Man, I'd be so frustrated if I was Isaac. His coach is whack. Too many subs. Isaac should be way more involved in the offense. I know he's measured as 6'10.5" but I'm not buying it. He was clearly shorter than Giles. I mean, his fro was even but the top of his head was considerably lower. I think he's a shade over 6'9.5". I'm interested to see what he measures at at the combine. That's a huge distinction. Isaac has HUGE upside. Most of it is because he's going to fill out and be a load in a few years. With some more size, power, explosion and his skills, he's going to be pretty good player. I wouldn't complain much if we got screwed like usual in the lottery and were "forced" to take him at #4. He wouldn't be my first choice even at #4 but I'd quickly get over it lol.
PLO
Analyst

Post#47 » by PLO » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:32 am

jrob23 wrote:Man, I'd be so frustrated if I was Isaac. His coach is whack. Too many subs. Isaac should be way more involved in the offense. I know he's measured as 6'10.5" but I'm not buying it. He was clearly shorter than Giles. I mean, his fro was even but the top of his head was considerably lower. I think he's a shade over 6'9.5". I'm interested to see what he measures at at the combine. That's a huge distinction. Isaac has HUGE upside. Most of it is because he's going to fill out and be a load in a few years. With some more size, power, explosion and his skills, he's going to be pretty good player. I wouldn't complain much if we got screwed like usual in the lottery and were "forced" to take him at #4. He wouldn't be my first choice even at #4 but I'd quickly get over it lol.

He did run into early foul trouble but yeah I agree basically, I think he's a top 6 prospect. He's performed well overall against good teams - but its obvious that someone like Tatum is ahead of him at this stage as Duke4life said above, but Isaac is a super prospect. In today's game Duke got ahead early and the scoreboard at the end was flattering to FSU - Duke is just more even across the floor and basically better coached.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#48 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 1, 2017 12:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think you saw the differences in their overall games at the moment today. Neither were scoring great but you still saw Tatum get rebounds, assists, steals and blocks and you still felt his impact on the game even though it wasnt a wow performance. Isaac was very quiet and didnt really do anything today either than rebound.

I don't know how this is supposed to be reflective of their overall games as you claim.

Isaac gets more steals, blocks and rebounds per 100 compared to Tatum and he actually steps up his game in conference play statistically. So I'm not sure you can claim what you did about their overall games and how it's supposedly been on display last night. Tatum clearly had a better game the other night but that's about it.

Of course we can get into more detail about skills, context etc. and Tatum certainly has an argument over Isaac as a current player and future prospect. But no, last night didn't show us anything we didn't already know and there's nothing - statistically at the very least - to suggest that Tatum is more capable of making his impact felt than Isaac if they both aren't scoring. Isaac isn't a great scorer to begin with, in fact his entire argument as a top prospect is based on being able to impact the game without having to score a whole lot.

Last night was a rough game for Isaac. He had early foul trouble and was clearly less aggressive on defense as a result and during the second half he barely got any touches until the very end. I love how the FSU program emphasized defense and rebounding for him and that really helps him growing as a player. But FSU clearly doesn't utilize him on offense as much - or playing him as many minutes - as other programs would do. I'm not even saying that it's a bad win-now strategy as Isaac has ways to go offensively but he's bound to have games where he's practically invisible for extended stretches while most top prospects don't have those type of games as frequently. On the other hand, and because of the very same context, you rarely see him having a really bad game where he's the one losing it.
PLO
Analyst

Post#49 » by PLO » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:51 pm

^ ^ I thought the way they used Isaac offensively vs Duke was not great: he frequently got the ball at the top of the key and seemed to be asked to make something off the dribble/shoot which is not really his game. I'd have to rewatch the game but it seemed to me most of the time when he got the ball in the post it was himself rebounding and if he did get it there he was double teamed. FSU's guard play was poor overall, didn't facilitate, took poor options, though perhaps some of that was poor off-ball movement. Isaac's offensive game is definitely one that should improve when put in an NBA system when he is surrounded by players who have much more of an idea of what they are doing.

Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#50 » by Derento » Mon May 1, 2017 6:01 pm

Lottery college centers/high rebounding forwards in the last 4 drafts career college DRB%.
B Simmons: 26.2%
J Poeltl: 21.2%
D Sabonis: 26.2%
Towns: 22.3%
Okafor: 18.2%
WCS: 17.3%
F Kaminsky: 20.7%
Myles Turner: 24.9%
J Randle: 24.7%
C Zeller: 19.4%
A Len: 21.2%
N Noel: 23.9%
S Adams: 21.0%
K Ollynk: 20.4%
A Davis: 25.6%
A Drummond: 17.0%
J Henson: 24.4%
Dray Green: 26.6%

Jonathan Isaac: 25.0%
Derento
Junior

Post#51 » by Derento » Mon May 1, 2017 6:05 pm

Only people equal or higher than are Draymond,Davis,Turner,Sabonis,Simmons,Randle.
Higher than great rebounding centers in Drummond,Noel,Towns.
Derento
Junior

Post#52 » by Derento » Wed May 3, 2017 3:18 pm

How good or bad is Isaac's frame in your guys opinion?
I been thinking about it and I don't see a super bad frame.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#53 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 3, 2017 3:28 pm

Derento wrote:How good or bad is Isaac's frame in your guys opinion?
I been thinking about it and I don't see a super bad frame.

He's got a pretty big frame that just needs to add some meat. Hell if Anthony Davis could do it then so could he.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#54 » by freewhitemoon » Wed May 3, 2017 4:39 pm

Anthony Davis had really wide shoulders, Isaac's are below avg to avg
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#55 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 3, 2017 5:06 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:Anthony Davis had really wide shoulders, Isaac's are below avg to avg

I was thinking Isaac was pretty wide, my mistake
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#56 » by reanimator » Wed May 3, 2017 7:50 pm

Isaac looks like he can add mass IMO.

Also think we haven't seen many wrinkles in his game due to the way FSU used him. I believe he can do a little more off the dribble than given credit for since I see some people throwing out Ibaka comps.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#57 » by The-Power » Wed May 3, 2017 8:05 pm

reanimator wrote:Also think we haven't seen many wrinkles in his game due to the way FSU used him. I believe he can do a little more off the dribble than given credit for since I see some people throwing out Ibaka comps.

He had the chance to do more off the dribble but was hesitant to do it. Yes, maybe he was instructed to not take his man off the dribble frequently but he didn't have a red light as far as I can tell. His problem was that when he tried to create off the dribble - not talking about the occasional drive-by after hard close-outs - he looked uncomfortable doing so and struggled quite a bit. He has the potential to develop into someone who can create off the dribble a bit but as of now he's not ready to do it consistently regardless of what team he's on.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#58 » by reanimator » Wed May 3, 2017 8:06 pm

The-Power wrote:
reanimator wrote:Also think we haven't seen many wrinkles in his game due to the way FSU used him. I believe he can do a little more off the dribble than given credit for since I see some people throwing out Ibaka comps.

He had the chance to do more off the dribble but was hesitant to do it. Yes, maybe he was instructed to not take his man off the dribble frequently but he didn't have a red light as far as I can tell. His problem was that when he tried to create off the dribble - not talking about the occasional drive-by after hard close-outs - he looked uncomfortable doing so and struggled quite a bit. He has the potential to develop into someone who can create off the dribble a bit but as of now he's not ready to do it consistently regardless of what team he's on.

I saw enough at the prep level to be confident he develops that part of his game.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#59 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 3, 2017 8:24 pm

If Isaac can't play the 3, he's just an athletic stretch 4 that hasn't proved he can stretch yet. His value declines a lot. He's not even a big that can handle the ball or can create in the post. He's also too skinny to give good screens.

I still have him ranked high because someone that big and athletic could be something because he's young, but I can also see him not working out well enough. IMO his value is in defending wings, but if he can't do that, why is he valuable? There are better shot blockers/potential shot blockers and there are better stretch players. And if he can't get his weight/strength up he's going to have a problem finishing at the rim.

I'm so conflicted with this guy. My heart says he's a top 6 pick, but my head says he's a late lotto pick.
Derento
Junior

Post#60 » by Derento » Wed May 3, 2017 11:07 pm

doordoor123 wrote:If Isaac can't play the 3, he's just an athletic stretch 4 that hasn't proved he can stretch yet. His value declines a lot. He's not even a big that can handle the ball or can create in the post. He's also too skinny to give good screens.

I still have him ranked high because someone that big and athletic could be something because he's young, but I can also see him not working out well enough. IMO his value is in defending wings, but if he can't do that, why is he valuable? There are better shot blockers/potential shot blockers and there are better stretch players. And if he can't get his weight/strength up he's going to have a problem finishing at the rim.

I'm so conflicted with this guy. My heart says he's a top 6 pick, but my head says he's a late lotto pick.

He's shown better solid stretch potential for a 19 year old forward.
78% at the line,41 percent on two point jumpers with 36% of those assisted,35% percent from three.
Thats average shooting ability for a wing lottery prospect but above average/good for big lottery prospect.
He's shooting stats are around Harrison Barnes,Oladipo in college and as a big he's shooting stats are rather good.
He also has pretty elite defensive stat for a 19 year old with 12 rebounds per 40,near 6 blocks and steals combined per 100 poss, high DRPM,Good defensive rating. Must players who have around these stats are usually great defenders in the Nba: Kawhi,Draymond,Roberson.

Statistically, Isaac was a difference-maker at Florida State, and the company he kept bodes well for his future. He was one of only five high major defenders since 2009-10 to post a 25 percent defensive rebounding rate, six percent block rate, and 2.4 percent steal rate. The other four? Anthony Davis, who has twice made the NBA's All-Defensive team; Andre Roberson, who is likely to make the same squad this season; Dewayne Dedmon.

The main critiques on Isaac for me is he low creation usage at FSU,Missing one aspect of great defense prospects for me strength.
He's improved as passer as the season went on as he posted a 0.92 AST/TO ratio in conference play so his awareness as a big combined with his high steal rate makes me think he has good awareness as a big. Has a high FTR at 0.46 and 0.5 in conference Many players make a big jump in creation ability from freshman to sophomore year and Isaac is player who improved a lot in a short period of time from junior year to now give me some hope for improvement not a lot. A weird thing I saw in profile was that he was rarely used with a ball handler as a big instead usually used as a off ball wing. Had the lowest usage as a PicknRoll big as I have seen as a guy with his size. Guys like David lee,Milsap,Joakim Noah were able to do this well as young players as there creation ability improved.If Isaac could show ability in this aspect to use his shooting,speed to more use outside of shooting and cutting he's offensive outlook looks solid as a big. This is something I want to see tbh a big who can rim run and shoot and has good awareness is invaluable to NBA teams which can explode a teams offense with good guards.

Return to NBA Draft