Do we know which draft websites/analysts have the best track record?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Leor_77
Analyst
And1: 533

Do we know which draft websites/analysts have the best track record? 

Post#1 » by Leor_77 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:18 pm

I was wondering this for a while. Has someone ever analyzed the various draft websites (and maybe even analysts) to determine who is the most accurate about their predictions and analyses? Even though everyone makes mistakes in their analyses of potential NBA players, it would be cool to gather metrics and see who really is the most accurate. You could use various things to determine what a good player is (RPM, PER, etc.). I'm sure it's not something that can be done in 5 minutes, but maybe it would be worthwhile to do eventually.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Do we know which draft websites/analysts have the best track record? 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:31 pm

No one does. It's all random. Draftexpress follows twitter the most and they pay attention when a reporter says someone's stock is rising or falling. It's not hard to track when you follow beat writers for teams, know which teams are working out what players, heat rumors about which teams like what players and pay attention to what teams are looking for. Also looking at cap space and the contracts that are done or have another year or two, etc. This year in particular is really tough for a number of reasons. Specifically because a lot teams have shut out any leaking. This is the first year there is barely any information on players, promises and teams leaking info. Three years ago I paid really close attention and while my mock wasn't completely right, I was able to call out who each team was going to draft until the 30th pick because I had all the info. I knew who teams liked, I knew they had holes to fill and I knew their options in terms of if they didn't have player A, they would likely go for B or C. It also helps to know GMs and their track record. Some pick best player available, some like overseas players more, some go for upside, some go for best available, etc. It's why everyone knew the Warriors would get McCaw and why everyone knew the Spurs would take Kyle Anderson. Not everyone gets as focused as I was that one year.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#3 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:33 pm

I think DX is probably the most reliable. They seem to have the biggest budget and have some actual connections with front offices. NBADraft.net is probably the worst (for mocks that get brought up a good amount).
GoldenGM
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#4 » by GoldenGM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I think DX is probably the most reliable. They seem to have the biggest budget and have some actual connections with front offices. NBADraft.net is probably the worst (for mocks that get brought up a good amount).

Draftexpress???
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#5 » by Hadley » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Draft =| Logic. Sometimes people make stupid moves (CLE picking Benett at #1 etc...) no one could predict. And the difference between players often times is not that high. All these players are talented, it just comes down to who had the best system in his schoolteam, who had the most hype and who has the best workethic.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#6 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Chad Ford is easily the best....

years later when he secretly changes his mocks to better suit the results.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#7 » by JN » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Chad Ford is 100% on edits.

Return to NBA Draft