Passing Ability: Lonzo Ball vs Ricky Rubio

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Passing Ability: Lonzo Ball vs Ricky Rubio 

Post#1 » by sikma42 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:33 pm

I see all these analysts saying he is the best passing prospect since JKidd. What makes his vision and passing better then what Rubio displayed coming into the league?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,731

Re: Passing Ability: Lonzo Ball vs Ricky Rubio 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:48 pm

I dont think he is better than Rubio at all. Lonzo has vision and precision, but I am not sure he is as creative as Rubio.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,417
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#3 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 6, 2017 3:29 pm

UltraBaller wrote:They are both incomplete players. They're pretty much replaceable players, cause they don't have a legit shot. A pg without a shot is a liability. Their ceiling is a Rod Strickland or Andre Miller type player.

Lonzo shot 41% on some of the most difficult 3s in college. He was by far the best off ball shooting PG in the draft. What in the hell are you talking about?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,665

Post#4 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:42 pm

People are still reliving the Ricky Rubio glory. This is what happens when guys aren't noteworthy players. Why would anyone mention Jason Kidd and Ricky Rubio in the same sentence at this point? Ricky Rubio is barely an NBA starter.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:52 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:People are still reliving the Ricky Rubio glory. This is what happens when guys aren't noteworthy players. Why would anyone mention Jason Kidd and Ricky Rubio in the same sentence at this point? Ricky Rubio is barely an NBA starter.

He is what, second best player on his own team, one of the best guard defenders in the world. DO you hate all Euros, or thats just how you unintentionally come across every single time?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#6 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:People are still reliving the Ricky Rubio glory. This is what happens when guys aren't noteworthy players. Why would anyone mention Jason Kidd and Ricky Rubio in the same sentence at this point? Ricky Rubio is barely an NBA starter.

He is what, second best player on his own team, one of the best guard defenders in the world. DO you hate all Euros, or thats just how you unintentionally come across every single time?

A player the Wolves have been trying to replace or trade for years. No one wants him, they are stuck with him.

UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:24 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

A player the Wolves have been trying to replace or trade for years. No one wants him, they are stuck with him.

The credibility of these rumors were always questionable. If they true tho, PG is overcrowded position nowadays, but Rubio could make a lot of teams better. Wolves are always noticeably better when he is on the floor. One guy who is barely NBA starter they should trade is Lavine.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,584

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:42 pm

Rubio was a little more flashy coming into the league. While Ball is less flashy but brings a little more substance. Both are excellent passers though.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#9 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

The credibility of these rumors were always questionable. If they true tho, PG is overcrowded position nowadays, but Rubio could make a lot of teams better. Wolves are always noticeably better when he is on the floor. One guy who is barely NBA starter they should trade is Lavine.

Kris Dunn's presence confirms the rumors for me, the fact that Kriss Dunn is horrible and no one wants Rubio keeps Rubio with a starting job with the Wolves. The Wolves should sign Patty Mills if they have any money. Get someone that can shoot with all of the iso scorers they have.

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Post#10 » by sikma42 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Rubio was a little more flashy coming into the league. While Ball is less flashy but brings a little more substance. Both are excellent passers though.

Ball brings a little more substance?

Ricky was top tier running the pick and roll at Balls age. Ball is not even particularly good at it. I'd say Lonzo is the one lacking substance comparatively speaking

UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:56 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Kris Dunn's presence confirms the rumors for me, the fact that Kriss Dunn is horrible and no one wants Rubio keeps Rubio with a starting job with the Wolves. The Wolves should sign Patty Mills if they have any money. Get someone that can shoot with all of the iso scorers they have.

Perimeter D would be atrocious tho. Big concern. Anyway, we went off topic here. Bottom line, Rubio is good.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 6, 2017 5:59 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Rubio was a little more flashy coming into the league. While Ball is less flashy but brings a little more substance. Both are excellent passers though.

Ricky was top tier running the pick and roll at Balls age. Ball is not even particularly good at it. I'd say Lonzo is the one lacking substance comparatively speaking

UCLA got way better with Ball, so I think he brings ton of substance, great intangibles. So as Rubio tho, Rubio always been that guy whose impact is so much greater than his box score.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,584

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 6:11 pm

sikma42 wrote:

Lonzo helped a team that went 15-17 the year before he got there go 31-5 the very next year. UCLA went from the middle of the pack offensive team to one of the best offenses college basketball has seen in the last couple decades when Lonzo got there. Lonzo set the Pac-12 freshman assist record and the UCLA single season assist record. I think Lonzo has a ton of substance.

Im also not saying Rubio didnt have substance coming into the league. Im just saying Lonzo had more and Ricky had a lot more flare to his game than Lonzo does.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 385

Post#14 » by pad300 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 6:57 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

IMO the Spurs would be happy to assist in a S&T around Mills for Rubio...
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#15 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 6, 2017 7:03 pm

sikma42 wrote:I see all these analysts saying he is the best passing prospect since JKidd. What makes his vision and passing better then what Rubio displayed coming into the league?

All 3 are fantastic passers with great vision, creativity and unselfishness. I really hate playing the ranking game here.

My guess is that Ball is compared to Kidd more because he has an outside shot which has always been Rubios downfall,
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#16 » by mattao313 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm not sure if he is better than Rubio as a passer but he definitely doesn't have to lean on it as much, since he's a capable offensive threat.
Championships
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#17 » by 916fan » Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:59 am

Rubio is a very good playmaker. I think Lonzo is good too, but he's not better than Rubio. I think people just like Jason Kidd comparisons so they just throw that onto him, "best floor general/passer/playmaker since Kidd".
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:08 am

My dad was just asking me about this today (he's a big Laker fan). I don't really think the virdict is out on Ball as a defender. He wasn't good in college, but he had moments that were brilliant. I think he has quick hands and if coaches correctly, I think he could be much better. Comparable to Patrick McCaw. That's what his movement/body type reminds me of. On the other hand, Rubio is a great on-ball defender. I DO think Rubio is the better passer because he's more creative, but I also think Lonzo is an advanced passer with natural vision.
The thing that sets them apart is obviously the three point shot. I also wonder what Rubio would be on a different team though.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#19 » by Foye » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Come back once you have watched at least one Timberwolves game.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#20 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 am

Foye wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Come back once you have watched at least one Timberwolves game.

I've watched plenty, enough to know that Rubio is an assist hunter just like TJ McConnell. Both of them are limited when it comes to making baskets so they'll avoid great wide open scoring opportunities in favor of ATTEMPTING an assist. There is no stat for that, when there should be. There is no stat for when a player turns down a great chance to attempt to score for just a chance to attempt an assist. That ruins the offense, and creates losing teams. The Wolves are losers and the Sixers are losers...

Return to NBA Draft