And1: 1,664

Re: 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 2 

Post#41 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:18 am

doordoor123 wrote:
paulbball wrote:
BillyKingGM wrote:so hey guys what do u think about lonzo balls shot

it looks kinda weird right

Weird? More like a disaster

I was arguing with someone about this on reddit lol. His shot and release is is so low. It'll be a little bit of an issue. He really has to be smart on the perimeter and only shoot threes he knows won't be defended. If he tries to cut it close while a defender is close he's going to have issues. His lack of ball handling and shiftiness make this a bigger issue. It's so weird, I love some things about his game, but I keep going back to this and his handling. It could be a real issue moving forward. At the same time, I think he wants to be great and that could help him get over these kind of humps. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to fix his shot after the first year.

How can you watch this video and say that his release point is "so low"? You do know that release point is where the ball leaves the hand right? I don't think the latter part of his shooting form is bad, his elbow is in, good wrist action, he has consistent footwork and many shooters replace their shooting hand in the action.

The major problem is that he brings his ball to his left, which hinders him shooting off the dribble (especially going to the right), making it vulnerable for players to strip.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#42 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
paulbball wrote:

Weird? More like a disaster

I was arguing with someone about this on reddit lol. His shot and release is is so low. It'll be a little bit of an issue. He really has to be smart on the perimeter and only shoot threes he knows won't be defended. If he tries to cut it close while a defender is close he's going to have issues. His lack of ball handling and shiftiness make this a bigger issue. It's so weird, I love some things about his game, but I keep going back to this and his handling. It could be a real issue moving forward. At the same time, I think he wants to be great and that could help him get over these kind of humps. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to fix his shot after the first year.

How can you watch this video and say that his release point is "so low"? You do know that release point is where the ball leaves the hand right? I don't think the latter part of his shooting form is bad, his elbow is in, good wrist action, he has consistent footwork and many shooters replace their shooting hand in the action.

The major problem is that he brings his ball to his left, which hinders him shooting off the dribble (especially going to the right), making it vulnerable for players to strip.

Because his left arm is fully bent when he releases.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,521

Post#43 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

The only thing good about this shot is that it went in. Lol at you getting all incredulous about what actually is a fairly low release point and then saying "I don't think the latter part of his shooting form is bad"...

His "elbow is in"? It's pointing 3 feet behind the basket. Add that to the fact that his shoulders are never square to the hoop, he's left his feet and his shooting palm is still facing 90 degrees to the left of the basket and that he releases the ball when he's already past the apex of his jump?

This form makes somebody with a hitch like Kidd Gilchrist look like Ray Allen.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#44 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

That video doesn't really show his actual release point unless he's changed his shot bit. Every time I've watched play in a game his release point is directly in front of his face.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#45 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:55 am

zzaj wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

The only thing good about this shot is that it went in. Lol at you getting all incredulous about what actually is a fairly low release point and then saying "I don't think the latter part of his shooting form is bad"...

His "elbow is in"? It's pointing 3 feet behind the basket. Add that to the fact that his shoulders are never square to the hoop, he's left his feet and his shooting palm is still facing 90 degrees to the left of the basket and that he releases the ball when he's already past the apex of his jump?

This form makes somebody with a hitch like Kidd Gilchrist look like Ray Allen.

It's unconventional. However he's very consistent with it and in my opinion that's perhaps the most important thing. I never said that his form is good looking, the latter part is just not as bad as it's painted to be.
I disagree with your take on his footwork and shoulders. I know that certain shooting coaches want everything squared up, but in my opinion that puts more stress on your upper body, forcing to shoot it with more strength.

Return to NBA Draft