Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Why is Evan Turner under the radar? 

Post#81 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:My point on teams drafting Evans had more to do with position than potential. Suppose the Raptors draft Evans and he doesn't work out as a 2, now they have a glut at the 1 even though all evidence prior indicated that Evans is more productive at the 1. Seems like an unnecessary risk. To me, it's only worth the risk at the top of the draft when the talent is rock-solid.

Anyway, I won't belabor the point any more.

I'm really hoping that Ohio State gets to play Louisville, because I'd love to see what Turner can do against Terrence Williams and vice versa. And I'm interested to see what Evans can do in close games.

I think Tyreke has tremendous potential and I wouldn't it a glut at the point! You wouldn't not draft a PG because you have Uko and Banks on your roster!! The Raps don't have a capabile back up point at this stage, and Jose isn't getting any younger.

Maybe Tyreke ends up like Stuckey. Maybe that would atually be a blessing in disguise that he plays the point so well?

Agreed about Turner Vs Williams. That would be a heck of a match up.
B B M F 'ers
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,652

Post#82 » by cgf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 am

Turner and Williams are my two favorite two guards in this draft after James Harden, I would have to tape that game and watch it a few times. If the knicks come out of the draft wither either one I'll be giddy.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#83 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:10 pm

\
too bad turner vs williams is not going to happen, i thought that his exit game was good : 25 pts, 9 rebs, 7 dimes and desruptive energetic defense in double OT game without a minute of rest.
turner will be a tripple double threat, a great 2nd option next to big man like Al Jefferson, actually wolves are a great fit for him, he even will be able to cover for foye's lack of playmaking skills.
I see his ceiling as scotty pippen.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#84 » by ManualRam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:14 pm

james harden wrote:\

I see his ceiling as scotty pippen.

no
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#85 » by BigSlam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:57 pm

james harden wrote:I see his ceiling as scotty pippen.

I see it as Grant Hill.
B B M F 'ers
Vlade4life
Junior
And1: 0

Post#86 » by Vlade4life » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Eddie Jones w/ better passing.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,425

Post#87 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Vlade4life wrote:Eddie Jones w/ better passing.

Eddie Jones was a speed demon and had a nasty outside shot.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#88 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:52 pm

BigSlam wrote:
james harden wrote:I see his ceiling as scotty pippen.

I see it as Grant Hill.

I see where you going with this, because style wise it is a good comparison and I know you're saying his ceiling, but I think you're underestimating how good a player Grant Hill was before his injury and botched surgeries. He literally would have been one of the greatest player of all time. If Turner really had this kind of potential he would have been talked about as a top 3 pick all year, if not the #1 overall.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#89 » by BigSlam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I see it as Grant Hill.

I see where you going with this, because style wise it is a good comparison and I know you're saying his ceiling, but I think you're underestimating how good a player Grant Hill was before his injury and botched surgeries. He literally would have been one of the greatest player of all time. If Turner really had this kind of potential he would have been talked about as a top 3 pick all year, if not the #1 overall.

I know. I honestly hesitated before I posted his ceiling could be Grant Hill because Grant Hill is, well, he's Grant Hill - injuries or not.

Maybe I could have gone with poor man's Grant Hill just to clarify.
B B M F 'ers
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#90 » by jumanji » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Turner really had a chance to make a name for himself in their loss last night by finding open guys under the basket at the end of the 1st OT and the end of the game.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#91 » by Cammo101 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:12 am

I see the Grant Hill comparisons as well, but he will need to return to school in order to have any chance at being that good.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#92 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 am

c'mon now. first scottie, then grant? lets start at somewhere reasonable.
anybody remember steve smith?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#93 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:20 am

I'm feeling the Steve Smith comparison.

Funny, I liked it the 1st time you made it and their sophomore college stats are nearly identical, although Smith played in an absolute murderer's row of a conference back then.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#94 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 pm

ManualRam wrote:c'mon now. first scottie, then grant? lets start at somewhere reasonable.

I can't imagine Turner averaging nearly 3 1/2 three point attempts per game on his career and over 5 a game in some single seasons.
B B M F 'ers
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#95 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 pm

BigSlam wrote:
ManualRam wrote:c'mon now. first scottie, then grant? lets start at somewhere reasonable.

I can't imagine Turner averaging nearly 3 1/2 three point attempts per game on his career and over 5 a game in some single seasons.

i cant imagine evan being the best player in the game for a short period of time.
btw, smith hit 22 3's as a sophomore in college. evan's shown he can hit the college 3 at a good rate. its only a matter of time before he fully incorporates the 3 ball into his game. the stroke is there.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#96 » by ManualRam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:34 am

http://benkoo.com/tag/evan-turner/
i guess turner's going back. sucks. i wanted my bulls to grab him.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#97 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:44 am

He wasn't getting past New Jersey's pick anyway, if I had anything to say about it, which I don't, but I'm saying....
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#98 » by Gruel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am

I really like Turner. For some reason, I feel like he's similar to Roy in many ways when he was at Washington. The killer crossover, the midrange game, and the point duties. Maybe I'm totally off here though..

As for the Evans or Turner debate on which being a better fit for the Raptors, it really depends what direction they want to go this offseason. This team needs to figure out what kind of style they want to play. If it's uptempo, then Evans should be our selection. Playing off the ball in an uptempo offense will still allow Evans to control the ball, pushing the pace and allowing Calderon to do what he does so effectively: shoot spot up 3s. However, if we're looking at a more half-court oriented team, Turners the choice. A solid all around game that can get you something at the end of the clock with his polished skillset and give you a solid defensive effort at the other end. He reminds me a lot of what the Raptors already have in Anthony Parker, but younger, and a tad more athletic. Kind of like Parker at Maccabi.. or when he's playing well for Toronto. A solid 16 ppg two-way player. Parker's also played pretty decently when given minutes at the 1 (partially because our backup 1s suck) although his limited ball handling at his age is worrisome. I think Turner could fill a similar role in the future, and do it better.

Return to NBA Draft