Demar DeRozan

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Demar DeRozan 

Post#1 » by Hendrix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am

Just wanting to get some opinions on him since he could be Raps territory in the draft.

I've only seen him 3 times this year. I didn't like him at all in the 1st 2 games, but in the Arizona st. game I thought he looked quite a bit better. His J's pretty fluid even with poor 3pt shooting %'s. His handle reminds me of Joey Graham right now kinda. Like he doesn't get much explosion for a first step, and only realy dribbles 2 times to get to a spot for a finish, or a pullup J, but seemed like there was potential for more. Seemed like he really got after it on the boards, and showed some potential on D.

Anyways, just wondering peple's assesments and where some compariosns for upside. Maybe Ronnie Brewer or Iggy?
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Demar DeRozan 

Post#2 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:29 am

Pietrus with worse D.
B B M F 'ers
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Harry10 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 am

he is going to be in the same range as Vince Carter and Gerald Wallace.... but most likely alot closer to Gerald Wallace

and just like G-Force, he is going to need a long time to develop.... but still, he is going to be a very good NBA player one day, and has the potential to be a top 15 player.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#4 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Harry10 wrote:he is going to be a very good NBA player one day, and has the potential to be a top 15 player.

Why? What is going to make him so good?
B B M F 'ers
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#5 » by Hendrix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:38 pm

BigSlam wrote:Pietrus with worse D.

Is this what you think ofhis upside, or what you think he'll turn out around?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Both
B B M F 'ers
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#7 » by Hendrix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:54 pm

I like the Pietrus comparison. But atleast in the Arizona st. game I saw some potential for more then that though. Really he's only 19 y/o he could improve his understanding of teh game, and handles quite a bit.

Maybe you could answer this for me since you're a Charolette fan, and I didn't see him till he was with the Raps. But what did Vince look like in his 1st year of UNC in comparison?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#8 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Hendrix wrote:what did Vince look like in his 1st year of UNC in comparison?

Sorry, can't help. I didn't watch college ball back then. Cammo might be able to help?
B B M F 'ers
JediSkyWalker
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#9 » by JediSkyWalker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 am

I don't really like the comparions of G-Wallace. Wallace is a defensive minded first player. When you watch DeRozan play, it's offense first. He's got great physical prowess/size to be an amazing NBA 2-guard. He can attack the basket and is a very dangerous finisher (finishes with flare). His midrange jumper is solid but his 3-point shot does not look very good at the moment.

Comparison of of Gerald Wallace-type finisher could be relevant. He's more of a Gerald Green/Vince Carter/Gerald Wallace offense player and could be a Vince Carter type defender. (Not great, but still solid)

I for one, would not want to see the Raptors take DeRozan. (I detest the Raptors and love DeRozan ;)) The Raptors need to focus on their slim front court at the moment. Andrea Bargnani has proven that he is NOT an NBA big man. He fits the bill of a NBA forward. (Rashard Lewis type player). The Raptors should select a big with their first round pick. Players like Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Monroe (A VERY nice prospect that could be amazing paired with Bosh, if he decides to re-sign) and BJ Mullens are some prospects to watch.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#10 » by Hendrix » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 am

^^^^

Pretty bad assesment of the Raptors. Not going to bother going into the whole Andrea Bargnani thing. But we have a 34 year old Anthony Parker starting at SG, and our back up 2 gaurd Kapono is terible and not even a 2 gaurd. The Raptors shoulkd select whoever they think will be the best player at this point.

I doubt vry much the Raps are in the running for Monroe, or Thebeet.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "I don't really like the comparions of G-Wallace." And "He's more of a Gerald Green/Vince Carter/Gerald Wallace offense player".
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 am

He does not have the basketball fundamentals to be a success in the NBA at this stage. His attacking ability is going to be severely limited if he cannot learn to develop his handle. When I have seen him play, he looked nice off of basket cuts etc. But, he was stymied when trying to take the ball to the hoop. With comparisons like Vince and G Wallace, one would hope that he could take it to the basket.
Harry10
Banned User

Post#12 » by Harry10 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 am

JediSkyWalker wrote:I don't really like the comparions of G-Wallace. Wallace is a defensive minded first player. When you watch DeRozan play, it's offense first. He's got great physical prowess/size to be an amazing NBA 2-guard. He can attack the basket and is a very dangerous finisher (finishes with flare). His midrange jumper is solid but his 3-point shot does not look very good at the moment.

Comparison of of Gerald Wallace-type finisher could be relevant. He's more of a Gerald Green/Vince Carter/Gerald Wallace offense player and could be a Vince Carter type defender. (Not great, but still solid)

I for one, would not want to see the Raptors take DeRozan. (I detest the Raptors and love DeRozan ;)) The Raptors need to focus on their slim front court at the moment. Andrea Bargnani has proven that he is NOT an NBA big man. He fits the bill of a NBA forward. (Rashard Lewis type player). The Raptors should select a big with their first round pick. Players like Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Monroe (A VERY nice prospect that could be amazing paired with Bosh, if he decides to re-sign) and BJ Mullens are some prospects to watch.

i'm in the SEC, i watched Wallace when he was in Alabama.

Gerald was not getting alot of blocks and steals in college. he was just a high light waiting to happen, and a high energy guy every minute he is on the court.

Wallace, James White, DeRozan... all three guys are elite jumpers, but White is a stick. Wallace and DeRozan have NBA bodies.

here are Wallace's college numbers:
22.9mpg 9.8ppg 6.0rpg 1.5apg .438FG% .175 3P% 1.0bpg 1.1spg
CrillWill
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by CrillWill » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 pm

demar should definetaly go top 5
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,425

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:26 am

If Derozan makes the severe mistake to declare this draft I doubt he even goes lotto and if he does it will be a late lotto team that takes him(11-14th).

I don't see alot of this potential people are talking about.

He is a good rebounder for a guard, OK defender, but allergic to passing. Not much of a playmaker in general. I saw him at the beginning of the season and a few times recently. He is solid, but didn't leave me overally impressed. His jumpshot is suspect, but has a lot of room for improvement because his form is solid.
His handle is suspect.
I see Rudy Gay lite, the shorter version, with less handle.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,692

Post#15 » by Mik317 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:If Derozan makes the severe mistake to declare this draft I doubt he even goes lotto and if he does it will be a late lotto team that takes him(11-14th).

He is a good rebounder for a guard, OK defender, but allergic to passing. Not much of a playmaker in general. I saw him at the beginning of the season and a few times recently. He is solid, but didn't leave me overally impressed. His jumpshot is suspect, but has a lot of room for improvement because his form is solid.
His handle is suspect.

umm....so Rudy Gay sucks now? if he woulkd turn out to be a shorter Rudy Gay then what's the problem?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:08 am

Knux-Future wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:If Derozan makes the severe mistake to declare this draft I doubt he even goes lotto and if he does it will be a late lotto team that takes him(11-14th).

His handle is suspect.

umm....so Rudy Gay sucks now? if he woulkd turn out to be a shorter Rudy Gay then what's the problem?

Wow, people are really dense....
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Harry10
Banned User

Post#17 » by Harry10 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 pm

His handle is suspect

i think you just described Gerald Wallace in Alabama.
NYC2BGI
Starter

Post#18 » by NYC2BGI » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:28 pm

Derozan is the perfect example of someone that should stay in school. He has a lot to learn.
lifejuice
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#19 » by lifejuice » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:37 am

he sits behind me in class and talk the whole time to the rest of the bball team
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 am

lifejuice wrote:he sits behind me in class and talk the whole time to the rest of the bball team

Does he talk about not passing the ball and being completely overhyped?

Return to NBA Draft