Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lifejuice
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Demar DeRozan 

Post#21 » by lifejuice » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
lifejuice wrote:he sits behind me in class and talk the whole time to the rest of the bball team

Does he talk about not passing the ball and being completely overhyped?

no hes talking about all the sick **** USC buys him
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#22 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 am

I think DeDe needs to come out this year. Next year the draft has a lot better prospects at his position and this year could be a lottery pick with any type of workout success. Right now I see DeRozan as a Gerald Wallace offensively (attacks the basket and can flat out run). Defensively he has the skills to be a good defender and that's all you can ask of a 19-20 year old. I think people overrate how bad/good college players will be as defenders.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,414

Post#23 » by Slava » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:14 am

He needs to stay in school longer and move to a better basketball program than USC. If he stays I just don't see him improving his approach to the game or fulfilling the potential he's blessed with.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#24 » by SportsFan215 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 8:52 pm

He will take a few years to develop in the NBA but I see him in the Andre Iguodala mold.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#25 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 5, 2009 9:28 pm

SportsFan215 wrote:He will take a few years to develop in the NBA but I see him in the Andre Iguodala mold.

Nothing even close to Iggy.

DeRozan can't dribble the ball more than two times - and even then it's shaky, and he is a horrible defender with little awareness of what is going on around him.
B B M F 'ers
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,970

Post#26 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:13 pm

Harry10, I don't know why you bothered mentioning that Gerald Wallace has an NBA body...

He has a GLASS body, it doesn't matter if he's the right build and weight.

Anyway, Toronto won't draft DeRozan, and I sincerely hope we don't draft Henderson, either, nor Greg Monroe. What we need is someone that resembles Wade or Marbury (or Kobe, if we're being unrealistic anyway), a really aggressive, athletic dribble penetration who can penetrate-and-pitch.

Nothing about these guys suggests that they have the capacity to give us what we need, especially DeRozan.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#27 » by Hendrix » Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:39 pm

tsherkin wrote:Harry10, I don't know why you bothered mentioning that Gerald Wallace has an NBA body...

He has a GLASS body, it doesn't matter if he's the right build and weight.

Anyway, Toronto won't draft DeRozan, and I sincerely hope we don't draft Henderson, either, nor Greg Monroe. What we need is someone that resembles Wade or Marbury (or Kobe, if we're being unrealistic anyway), a really aggressive, athletic dribble penetration who can penetrate-and-pitch.

Nothing about these guys suggests that they have the capacity to give us what we need, especially DeRozan.

I've seen Derozen about 5-6 times since I made the thread and I don't think he's a good fit right now for where we're picking, and has quite a ways to go.

But who do you think the Raps should draft this year in the 1-10 range. I'm guessing from your post, you'de like Rubio, Harden, Jennings, Teague depending on where the pick ends up, and who's left on board.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 3:07 pm

Rubio probably won't be there, I keep hearing 2010.

Jennings or Teague would be interesting, for sure. Harden is not likely a guy who we have a shot at drafting, I expect him to go above our pick unlses we get really lucky in the lottery. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Jrue Holiday if our pick is low enough, but that'd be a fairly large gamble. I dunno,

Willie Warren?

Toronto desperately needs athleticism and offense from the 2. Teague and Jennings would be nice, but both are under 6'3, so that's worrisome for me, but they could contribute the way Ford did for us the two years prior to this one. As long as we inject an athletic guard into our lineup, one with the mindset to go to the rim (something of a problem with Warren at times, of course), that'd be cool. I think Jennings or Teague are our best bets, yeah.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#29 » by Hendrix » Fri Mar 6, 2009 6:56 pm

tsherkin wrote:Rubio probably won't be there, I keep hearing 2010.

Jennings or Teague would be interesting, for sure. Harden is not likely a guy who we have a shot at drafting, I expect him to go above our pick unlses we get really lucky in the lottery. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Jrue Holiday if our pick is low enough, but that'd be a fairly large gamble. I dunno,

Willie Warren?

Toronto desperately needs athleticism and offense from the 2. Teague and Jennings would be nice, but both are under 6'3, so that's worrisome for me, but they could contribute the way Ford did for us the two years prior to this one. As long as we inject an athletic guard into our lineup, one with the mindset to go to the rim (something of a problem with Warren at times, of course), that'd be cool. I think Jennings or Teague are our best bets, yeah.

There does still look like a chance Rubio will enter the draft. Draftexpress's last update him shed some light on the situation. We're currenly at 10% chance to get into thet top 3, so yeah definitly not likely to get Harden, or Rubio but the chance is there.

I dunno, while I agree with you compltely that we need to inject som dribble penetration onto this team, I think I still take the BPA regardless of position for the Raptors. Well maybe a little hesitant on tweener 4's we have enough of those, lol.

We can always try to get that guard that can dribble penetrate other ways. Maybe trade Bosh, Bargs, or Calderon this off season. I'de rather grab a beter prospect that doesn't necisarily fill the needs of the 2008/2009 team but has a better chance in panning out then reaching for a guy that fills our needs (hello Arujo).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 7:05 pm

Hendrix wrote:There does still look like a chance Rubio will enter the draft. Draftexpress's last update him shed some light on the situation. We're currenly at 10% chance to get into thet top 3, so yeah definitly not likely to get Harden, or Rubio but the chance is there.

If he does, then he's a tempting option in principle, but since we're unlikely to have a top 3 pick as we've both noted, it's not really on my mind. I'm pretty comfortable with the probability that we don't have a shot at Griffin, Harden, Rubio (if present) or Thabeet, so I'm looking at the other guys.

I dunno, while I agree with you compltely that we need to inject som dribble penetration onto this team, I think I still take the BPA regardless of position for the Raptors. Well maybe a little hesitant on tweener 4's we have enough of those, lol.

If the BPA is Greg Monroe, I only take the BPA if we've got a pre-arranged trade, lol. I agree that talent is important right now, but realistically, most of the talent in this draft comes in the form of little guards anyway. As long as we don't saddle ourselves with a set shooter who can't do anything else or some wannabe-lame-Euroforward type, then I'll be pretty happy.

We can always try to get that guard that can dribble penetrate other ways. Maybe trade Bosh, Bargs, or Calderon this off season. I'de rather grab a beter prospect that doesn't necisarily fill the needs of the 2008/2009 team but has a better chance in panning out then reaching for a guy that fills our needs (hello Arujo).

Oh, I agree, but as I said, most of the talent around is that type anyway. I'd be fine with a SF who can slash, it doesn't have to be a guard, per se, or a center, that'd be cool. But from the looks of it, Colangelo's insane and wants to keep going forward with Bosh and Bargs as our horrible frontcourt, so I wouldn't expect him to do anything that might jeopardize the minutes those two receive. So I want a frikkin' good guard. :)
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#31 » by Hendrix » Fri Mar 6, 2009 7:43 pm

Yeah if the BPA's a perimiter player that can get into the lane, which it very well could be like you've noted I'de snap him up too. But if it's Monroe, or Thabeet I'de grab them jsut the same.

I really doubt BC is going to be moving forward with Bosh, and Bargnani. I'de actually be shocked if 1 of those guys wern't traded in the off season personally. So I could see us getting something for those guys that would help us in some of the areas we lack, and open minutes up in the froncourt.

I mean surely as confident BC's been about that frountcourt in the media he recoznizes Bosh's contract situation, and the fact that they clearly compliment each other horribly, and arn't winning us games so...
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:11 pm

I'd take Thabeet, I just don't think he'll be around for our pick. And as I said, I wouldn't touch Monroe with a 10-foot pole unless we had a deal in place because it just makes no sense to keep him. Also, I think Colangelo is allergic to athleticism, Pops Mensah-Bonsu aside.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#33 » by Hendrix » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:34 pm

Oh c'mon tsherkin you can't just brush Pops aside, lol.

I dunno I'de probably grab Thabeet around 6th-8th range. I'm really not sure about him translating to teh pro's. BC's a lot more allergic to players with power in their game imo. Heck Bosh, Bargs, Moon, Marion are all pretty althetic, they just are collectivly extremly finnese.

I think we'll have a better idea of where we're at on draft night though. Right now it's kinda hard to tell what we'll need imo.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:58 pm

Well, he got Moon and Ford, both of whom are quite athletic, and Ford possesses iso skills. But he also traded both of them away (though Marion came back). I dunno, we'll see.

Bargs isn't "extremely athletic," though, he's just pretty mobile for his size. But you're right, there's too much finesse, not enough power and not enough offensive firepower to overcome the abject absence of defensive ability. And the coaching. Ugh.
sabonis11
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#35 » by sabonis11 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:49 pm

via draftexpress:

Best Case: Gerald Green
Worst Case: Rodney Carney

Anybody find this remotely hilarious that his best case is Gerald Green? and his worst case is Carney (who actually is significantly better than green). I guess they are trying to say that he is in the mold of the athletic player who can't do much else mold.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#36 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Green and Carney were actually significantly better shooters than Derozan. I can't really remember a shooting guard who couldn't hit the college 3 line coming out and turning into a good player. Maybe Wade but his athleticism stats(rebounds/blocks/steals) for a 6'4 guard were just too good to ignore. Derozan just looks like a Bill Walker or James White type player.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Post#37 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm

DeRozan is one of the most overhyped prospects in years, at least before this season had started and early into it. It's not his fault, it's not like he's on draft websites and on sports networks saying, "Yo, I beez the next phenom, yo son. Type Carter mixed wit da Mamba, woa day.".

He has been set up for an epic fail from the jump. Sure, people that follow college ball and have some common sense won't expect a lot out of him, at least at first, but the casual fan that watches strictly the NBA probably still thinks he is the next great thing and that he deserves a high lotto pick because of the hype machine that is modern sports media.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#38 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:21 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:DeRozan is one of the most overhyped prospects in years, at least before this season had started and early into it. It's not his fault, it's not like he's on draft websites and on sports networks saying, "Yo, I beez the next phenom, yo son. Type Carter mixed wit da Mamba, woa day.".

He has been set up for an epic fail from the jump. Sure, people that follow college ball and have some common sense won't expect a lot out of him, at least at first, but the casual fan that watches strictly the NBA probably still thinks he is the next great thing and that he deserves a high lotto pick because of the hype machine that is modern sports media.

i thought demar had a pretty solid season. 13ppg on 52% from the field. how many freshmen wings shoot 52% from the floor?
he's just not a one and done player that people expect from phenoms now.
i liked what i read from this article:
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/usc/ci_11892689

kid seems to have the right attitude, is showing patience and is doing whatever is necessary to become a better all-around basketball player. i guess you can call him the anti-brandon jennings.
now if he declares this yr after everything he's said then i take back all my praise regarding his character. :D
hopefully he stays at least one more yr and continues improving. he could be projected to be lotto bound again.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#39 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:12 pm

I was watching him last night and there is no doubt he has improved since the start of the season. His shot looks better and that little base line spin that he busted out a couple of times was super quick and well done.

He still has a very poor handle though and I question his BBIQ.

Good to see him fight for boards.
B B M F 'ers
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#40 » by ponder276 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 pm

He is a great athlete who plays well near the hoop (good finisher up close, good rebounder). However, he has a terrible handle and a terrible outside shot, so I really don't see him projecting as a SG at the next level. His game is more similar to a PF (though obviously he's way too small to be a PF), but if he can SERIOUSLY improve his handle and outside shot, maybe he can be a solid SF in the NBA. But yeah, he needs to go back to school, if he declares this year he could EASILY slip to the 2nd round, similar to DeAndre Jordan last year.

Return to NBA Draft