With the 2nd pick in the 2008 draft...

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Re: With the 2nd pick in the 2008 draft... 

Post#21 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:52 am

what attitude are you referring to? by all accounts he is a great locker room guy and the hardest worker on the team

he has never played real defense before until college and even then it was a sham...this is his 1st yr of real defense and if you look at a clip comparing his d now and before, its not even the same person
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#22 » by Dresta » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:53 am

BlackIce wrote:
miamiballer wrote:^ yeah except that beasley is producing and is a key member of our team already, 13 ppg, 5 rpg in 24 mins a game, hes our 2nd leading scorer...nice try

I agree but does he fit a need on the team? Also you are underplaying the 'immense potiential of lopez, this guy is a stud at the C position, much more valued then a PF with a great offensive game. Lets say in 2010 you guys get Amare.

Lopez
Amare (or Boozer)
Moon
Wade
Chalmers

A very balanced team that is a contender today, and has young guys on it that will be your future. Also you could have traded Marion for another piece or just let him expire and sign Boozer.
what potential, the guy is big and skilled but has a refined game, what exactly is he gonna improve to take that next step up? He just doesn't have the quickness and athleticism needed to be dominant.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:53 am

People that are saying no are in denial.
First off, Beasley is a SF, not a PF.
Second, so if Beasley has Amare or Boozer potential, which he doesn't, isn't Lopez still a better prospect figuring he has Duncan potential?
Lopez' low end is probably a 16/9/2 apg/3bpg/1spg guy, just with basically NO improvement, but a little bit more minutes, experience and respect from the refs.
This is all while playng on a rookie contract and playing the most important position in basketball and literally being good enough to be your teams defensive anchor.
I wasn't a fan of Brook before we drafted him and was so/so on him draft night, but now in hindsight, there is literally no one in this draft or rookie class I would trade him for, including Rose, Gordon or Mayo.
Top 3 center and probably the 2nd best in about 3 years, with the only one being better Dwight Howard and only because of his superior physical tools.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#24 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:55 am

and are bosh or amare good defenders?

beasley is just as skilled offensively as their ages and can aspire to be at their level defensively...last i checked everyone is going gaga over them in 2010

and lopez a 20/10 center? i have to see it before i believe it...there havent been any 20/10 centers since howard and yao and i just dont think lopez is as talented as either, even if he was, you could still argue for beasley ahead of him
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#25 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:56 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:People that are saying no are in denial.
Second, so if Beasley has Amare or Boozer potential, which he doesn't, isn't Lopez still a better prospect figuring he has Duncan potential?
Lopez' low end is probably a 16/9/2 apg/3bpg/1spg guy, just with basically NO improvement, but a little bit more minutes, experience and respect from the refs.
This is all while playng on a rookie contract and playing the most important position in basketball and literally being good enough to be your teams defensive anchor.
I wasn't a fan of Brook before we drafted him and was so/so on him draft night, but now in hindsight, there is literally no one in this draft or rookie class I would trade him for, including Rose, Gordon or Mayo.
Top 3 center and probably the 2nd best in about 3 years, with the only one being better Dwight Howard and only because of his superior physical tools.

funny that beasley has never played sf...in his life...and why doesnt bealey have amare/bosh potential? really tell me why...i have no prob saying lopez will be a really good center but i think its more likely that beasley becomes a bosh/amare type than lopez becomes a franchise center
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#26 » by Dresta » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:57 am

Choker wrote:I think they would pick Lopez. Beasley's defense is just, wow, horrible. What do people realistically expect from Beasley in his prime? Like 25/10? I'd rather have Lopez who could put up 20/10 on excellent post defense. And Beasley will never improve on defense unless he changes his attitude, and even if he does, it doesn't automatically guarantee he'll be a good defender, he still has a longs way to go defensively.

Beasley's defense has improved massively so your wrong there, his defense is also better then Rose's right now, will he never improve too? And Lopez would fail defensively in Miami's system as well, at least for a while.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:00 am

miamiballer wrote:what attitude are you referring to? by all accounts he is a great locker room guy and the hardest worker on the team

he has never played real defense before until college and even then it was a sham...this is his 1st yr of real defense and if you look at a clip comparing his d now and before, its not even the same person

I'm referring to his attitude towards defense, he just doesn't seem to care, this became pretty apparent during the Rookie-Sophomore game when he made the remark that he doesn't have to play defense to stay on the floor. He treats it like a chore instead of a part of his game, it'll be a HUGE detrimental to his defensive development.

And how could you not see the potential in Lopez to average 20/10? The guy is a stud and he already plays MUCH better defense than Beasley.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#28 » by Kabookalu » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:01 am

Dresta wrote:Beasley's defense has improved massively so your wrong there, his defense is also better then Rose's right now, will he never improve too? And Lopez would fail defensively in Miami's system as well, at least for a while.

His defense against Bosh tonight was just incredibly underwhelmingly, just horrible. He plays worse defense than Jose Calderon. I'd hope that it's just a defensive lapse of his then?
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#29 » by HoopsGuru25 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:03 am

I think Lopez would go 2nd in hindsight but I'd bet a good amount of money that Beasley turns out to be better than Mayo(a year younger,more points per minute,and a high PER). Beasley's rebounding hasn't translated but his potential as a great scorer is still there.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#30 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:03 am

Dude is 6'8 and plays facing the basket, more perimeter and slashing orientated, he is a small forward.
Think of a less talented Melo as his ceiling.
A lot of players play as PF's during their highschool and college days because of a lack of legitimately talented tall guys and the mismatches they create.
The only time Beasley has played PF this year is because you had a PF playing center and a SF that plays like a PF in Marion.
When Beasley comes off the bench he is a forward 6xth man, with no true defined position.
He is no PF, at least not once he becomes a full time starter, why do you think Riley traded Marion for a PF/C that doesn't interfere with your 2010 plans?
Why do you think he is so enamored wit going after Bosh even though he has NEVER been a succesful center?
Beasley is a SF in the NBA and if he isn't, he is playing oout of position, ala Rashard Lewis, Ryan Gomes or Granger when they used him as a PF.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#31 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:05 am

Choker wrote:
miamiballer wrote:what attitude are you referring to? by all accounts he is a great locker room guy and the hardest worker on the team

I'm referring to his attitude towards defense, he just doesn't seem to care, this became pretty apparent during the Rookie-Sophomore game when he made the remark that he doesn't have to play defense to stay on the floor. He treats it like a chore instead of a part of his game, it'll be a HUGE detrimental to his defensive development.

And how could you not see the potential in Lopez to average 20/10? The guy is a stud and he already plays MUCH better defense than Beasley.

you cant base his attitude towards d on an all star game, no one is playing d there

beasley tries hard when he plays defense but hes still learning the system and often gets outmuscled by bigger pf's (he needs to get stronger, but hes young still)

i like lopez a lot too and agree that he does have 20/10 potential IF everything works out.he should have been a top 5 pick for sure..but beasley also has like 23/10 potential too...it comes down to defense which lopez is superior at right now but i think bealsey is just the more dynamic scorer...we can find a defensive center to play next to beasley and it would work out
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#32 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:08 am

beasley is 6'9 245 FYI and still getting stronger, not 6'8 no matter how much you want to believe it

ill admit that lopez has exceeded my expecations but i think you can argue that beasley long term will still be the better, more dynamic player
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#33 » by Knicksfan1 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:20 am

Beasley would be a beast in NY with all those offensive abilities... this dude needs more minutes, actually he deserves it... Beasley will be a beast, if he was the 1st option of a team, he has an amazing skill set plus great size... only thing is his d sux.
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#34 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:27 am

miamiballer wrote:beasley is 6'9 245 FYI and still getting stronger, not 6'8 no matter how much you want to believe it.

It turns out that Michael Beasley is relatively short.

Beasley, the Kansas State power forward almost certain to go No. 1 or No. 2 in the June 26 draft, measured 6-foot-7 without shoes and 6-foot-8 14 with shoes at last week's pre-draft camp.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/conte ... 3heat.html

I'm sorry, were you saying something?
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#35 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:37 am

Everyone but Heat fans are going to say Lopez. So I won't argue against it. But I do find it funny how people continue to cite his bad attitude and poor effort as problems. It just proves they really haven't watched him play. The guy is one of the hardest workers on the team, and is arguably as good as Udonis Haslem defensively right now (better shot blocker, slower on rotations). But nobody will give him this credit, because there aren't really solid defensive stats to prove things like this.
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#36 » by miamiballer » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:47 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
miamiballer wrote:beasley is 6'9 245 FYI and still getting stronger, not 6'8 no matter how much you want to believe it.

It turns out that Michael Beasley is relatively short.

Beasley, the Kansas State power forward almost certain to go No. 1 or No. 2 in the June 26 draft, measured 6-foot-7 without shoes and 6-foot-8 14 with shoes at last week's pre-draft camp.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/conte ... 3heat.html

I'm sorry, were you saying something?

nice try but nba players are measured in shoes, not w/o...if you assume someone like wade is 6'4, its assuming that he is wearing shoes...go to espn.com, or nba.com, beasley is 6'9 245...all players are measured in shoes so your assertion that beasley is less than 6'8 is invalid
Flix360
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Flix360 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 6:08 am

I havent read anything from this thread...but

If Beasley was on a nowhere team, let's say GSW, LAC or any team that will have him as a 1st option, he's easily a 20-6 guy now, but no, Miami is Wade's team, he is only his sidekick, and now, he's not only having his moments, but he improved his D, REMEMBER HE NEVER PLAYED D BEFORE IN HIS LIFE, and HE'S ONLY PLAYING 24MPG, not like Mayo or the others in the high 30's AND HE STILL MANAGES TO SCORE 13, WHAT NOW IF HE'S A NO. 1 OPTION, AND MORE MINUTES? He'll be am onster by now, had Miami passed on him, everyone will be saying "MIA regrets ignoring bz" coz we let him past and took Mayo or Brook instead, which will be limited due to Wade.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#38 » by Wade2k6 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 6:56 am

VinceCarter4Prez, I'm really wondering if you have seen a Heat game all year. Beasley has not played a minute of SF, the entire year. He is a PF. I'm not sure where you're getting this SF stuff from.
NBA Analyst+
Starter
And1: 0

Post#39 » by NBA Analyst+ » Sat Mar 7, 2009 7:02 am

zpeople should watch B-easy play. Kid is going to be a STUD.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#40 » by Wade2k6 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 7:08 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:People that are saying no are in denial.

Just look at the numbers... It isn't real hard to see.

Beasley (20 years old): 13.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.5 bpg on 46 % shooting in 24.3 MPG
KG (19 years old): 10.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.6 bpg on 49.1% shooting in 28.7 MPG
Amare (20 years old): 13.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1 apg, 1 bpg on 47.2% shooting in 31.3 MPG
Boozer (21 years old): 10 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.5 bpg on 53.6 % shooting in 25.3 MPG

PER 36 MIN:

Beasley: 19.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.7 bpg with 2.5 TO/G
KG: 13.1 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.1 bpg with 1.7 TO/G
Amare: 15.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.2 bpg with 2.6 TO/G
Boozer: 14.2 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.9 bpg with 1.8 TO/G

While Beasley is lacking in the rebounding, he makes up for it with more then 4 PPG more then the closest player. Amare was older then Beasley as a rookie in the league, KG about the same age, and Boozer 2 years older. Beasley's rebounding has improved as the seasons gone on, and once he adds weight to his frame will be a 10 rpg guy.

So to say he doesn't have Boozer or Amare potential is a little pre-mature.

Return to NBA Draft