Espn's Doug Gottlieb's Big Board

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: Espn's Doug Gottlieb's Big Board 

Post#21 » by john2jer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?
Doug Gottlieb: (4:04 PM ET ) So your mediocre life can prepare you for a mediocre afterlife...and by the way, which one of us works for ESPN... hey and next time...when I you say 30 minutes or less....get here on time with my pizza.
John (Notre Dame): Doug, I lost my credit card, where were you last night?
SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:27 PM ET ) Ask your mom.
Johns Mom (Notre Dame): GOTTLIEB I KNOW YOU STOLE MY SON'S CREDIT CARD!
SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:34 PM ET ) Ten years ago I made a mistake...and payed for it...18 years ago YOU WERE your parents mistake and they are still paying for it.

He's funny, but he's a d-bag.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Esohny » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I actually have to disagree. He's just a d-bag.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#23 » by brassviews » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Gottlieb has no idea what he's talking about. Seriously, what's the deal with comparing Rubio to Nash and Maravich. The only thing that is comparable is that they're all white and have had long hair.

Maravich is one of the best shooters in history. Nash, while not on the same level as a Maravich, is considered one of the best shooters today. Rubio is not a great shooter and possibly is one of the least reliable players in the draft in that regard.

However, Rubio is a much better defender, possibly one of the top defensive players in the draft. Nash isn't known for being a defender whatsoever.

So right now, I'm really questioning Gottlieb's role as analyst and whether he's actually watch Rubio play or anyone for that matter.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#24 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 pm

****This question is for the people that have actually watched Rubio, extensively****

IS Rubio actually a good defender, or is he a Larry Hughes/Chris Paul style gambler and ball thief that actually plays very medicore man to man D and his mediocre on team D rotations?

I mean not for nothing, but Chris Paul was in the top 3 in DPOY votings 2 years ago if I am not mistaken, and it is a myth he is an actually good defender, he's actually horrid, CP3 is simply a very good steals guy.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#25 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:53 pm

If Harden is there for the Raptors pick at 9, the board would explode.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#26 » by john2jer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm

I think many of Rubio's steals come from man-to-man defense, just picking the pocket of the guy he's guarding. he has good footwork, uses his body well, and has quick hands.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#27 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:****This question is for the people that have actually watched Rubio, extensively****

IS Rubio actually a good defender, or is he a Larry Hughes/Chris Paul style gambler and ball thief that actually plays very medicore man to man D and his mediocre on team D rotations?

I mean not for nothing, but Chris Paul was in the top 3 in DPOY votings 2 years ago if I am not mistaken, and it is a myth he is an actually good defender, he's actually horrid, CP3 is simply a very good steals guy.

Except every defensive measure you can find points to otherwise, and he's far and away the best defender on the team.

Why do people still think he's a terrible defender, because Chauncey lit up Rasual Butler? : :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#28 » by Copperhead » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:02 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:****This question is for the people that have actually watched Rubio, extensively****

Except every defensive measure you can find points to otherwise, and he's far and away the best defender on the team.

Why do people still think he's a terrible defender, because Chauncey lit up Rasual Butler? : :lol:

:lol:

I also think Paul should actually foul out more if all he does is "gamble". If people think that Paul only gambles then they don't watch enough of him.

But any and all small lapses aside, Paul's defensive pressure in the half court game is what truly makes the Hornets defense go. Putting pressure on the ball is what keeps the opponents' dribble drive to a minimum ... and that is what allows the team to double as much as it does. That can be a point of contention among critics of Byron Scott's scheme (why double at all?), but it's hard to argue that Paul's presence at the top of the key does not impact the effectiveness of this defense significantly.

Of course it is the doubling itself which is where he makes his living in the steal department, so to speak, so I'm not going to pretend like that isn't helping his numbers. But it can also be argued that the scheme works only because he is so good at generating turnovers out of it.

Regardless, Paul's importance on the defensive end is profound, and it's time people started recognizing that. Take the anecdotal evidence out of the equation, and you're still left with the best thief in NBA history.

http://blog.nola.com/gladow/2008/12/chr ... llian.html

Paul is actually a pretty good defender. No, he's not locking anyone down ala Artest or Battier but the Hornets defense is much better when he's on the floor. Apparently there are some coaches that also think of him as a good defender when he's playing against their teams.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#29 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Coaches, analysts, players, statistics, and results all say he is a great defender. RealGM posters say he isn't.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#30 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:05 am

Did he really write those answers? If he did he should have been fired mere hours after the incident. What a disgrace.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#31 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:39 am

bigricho12 wrote:
2. Ricky Rubio, Spain

What I like: Clever as can be with the ball, he has a Steve Nash-meets-Pistol Pete-feel. Unlike both those guys, Rubio is a below-average shooter, but his form and numbers have improved. If you put a team around him, he will entertain from day one. While he plays no defense and is immature at times in terms of decision-making, the skills seem to be there with good size to overcome his lack of speed.

What I don't like: There is not really a blueprint for a non-defender, below-the-rim point guard who is a poor shooter and average finisher.

Best case: A bigger Steve Nash with the looks and flair of the Pistol.

4. DeMar DeRozan, USC

What I like: Freaky athlete with massive upside. Began to "get it" at the end of the season. One of the few players in the draft who will not have to change position in the NBA -- he is a much more natural 2 than Harden. Poster child for "upside" and may spend time in the D-League, but in a draft of uncertainties, he seems to have the measurables to eventually live up to his massive talent.

What I don't like: Below-average 3-point shooter in college, very raw in terms of basketball acumen, and may need the right tutoring from a veteran coach/player, as he has some hangers-on he needs to part with.

Best case: David Thompson

uhhhhhhhhhhhh
Amen316
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#32 » by Amen316 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:58 am

IF the draft goes that way there will be alot of front office people losing their jobs

Return to NBA Draft