Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Brandon Jennings: :"Rubio Is Overhyped" 

Post#1 » by SadKingsFan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:14 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... overhyped/

Do you guys think Jennings is correct? Personally i think its dumb because even if rubio is overhyped, its not like Jennings has done anything AT ALL.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Re: Brandon Jennings: :"Rubio Is Overhyped" 

Post#2 » by bballcool34 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:41 am

Jennings should have just kept his mouth shut.

If he's really the better player, he can prove it on the court- coming out with a statement like this before the draft even happens just seems immature and unnecessary.
Damn
Ramen Monster
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Ramen Monster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:47 am

To be fair, the reporters were looking for a quote, so they really egged him on.

edit: here's the vid if you're interested:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sp ... nning.html
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#4 » by MaryvalesFinest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:12 am

It's true but Rubio isn't going to be a bust or anything. People are going on to compare him to Maravich but the best I can see the guy doing is averaging like 10-5-5 which is still good. Who knows he could develop a jumpshot but right now he's overhyped.

Brandon Jennings and Demar Derozan are going to be the best players in the draft, both better than Griffin....book it.
stevewk
Junior

Post#5 » by stevewk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:48 am

I'd take Jennings over Rubio, that's all I got.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#6 » by Slava » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:53 am

MaryvalesFinest wrote:It's true but Rubio isn't going to be a bust or anything. People are going on to compare him to Maravich but the best I can see the guy doing is averaging like 10-5-5 which is still good. Who knows he could develop a jumpshot but right now he's overhyped.

Brandon Jennings and Demar Derozan are going to be the best players in the draft, both better than Griffin....book it.

What exactly did Derozan do in college that Griffin hasn't?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#7 » by MaryvalesFinest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:02 am

j-far wrote:
MaryvalesFinest wrote:It's true but Rubio isn't going to be a bust or anything. People are going on to compare him to Maravich but the best I can see the guy doing is averaging like 10-5-5 which is still good. Who knows he could develop a jumpshot but right now he's overhyped.

Derozan was put in a system like OJ Mayo was where he struggled but once Mayo got to the NBA he blossomed and the same thing will most likely happen to Derozan. Don't get me wrong Griffin is going to be good but Derozan has superstar potential.
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#8 » by Sting3r » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:14 am

Jennings better be the next coming of LeBron James cause hes been opeining his mouth alot.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#9 » by Slava » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:19 am

MaryvalesFinest wrote:
j-far wrote:

Derozan was put in a system like OJ Mayo was where he struggled but once Mayo got to the NBA he blossomed and the same thing will most likely happen to Derozan. Don't get me wrong Griffin is going to be good but Derozan has superstar potential.

I won't disagree with the fact that Derozan has potential and he reminded me of D-Wade when he was in high school with less ball handling ability and I followed him fairly decently at USC. I won't argue the fact that the system is bad but still he can't handle the ball well and for all the hype about his offensive skills he is not good at creating his own shot.

I think he could have stayed in college for another year but his potential will get him drafted fairly high but unlike Griffin, he will not be ready to contribute very soon and what he does with his potential is still not very clear.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#10 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:45 am

I don't really like Jennings, but I totally agree with him.
KingKover
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#11 » by KingKover » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:14 am

I also agree with Jennings but he should not be talking smack whatsoever. His numbers in Europe were very disappointing and he hasn't done anything notable yet.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#12 » by co_laper » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:24 am

That quote just made him look like an immature little brat.

It just seems that he's the type of kid who wants all the spotlight to be on him.

I'll even say that if a small market draft him, he'll bolt as soon as his rookie contract is up.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#13 » by DoctaJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:27 am

Sting3r wrote:Jennings better be the next coming of LeBron James cause hes been opeining his mouth alot.
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#14 » by Rasheeed!!! » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:35 am

meh, I hope Jennings sucks ass and Rubio destroys him everytime they meet.
Chubby Chaser
Banned User

Post#15 » by Chubby Chaser » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:45 am

Ehhhh. Who cares?? There's some great finals action going on right now... Let's worry about crowning the champion before everyone throws themselves into the madness that is the draft... :D
Dawkins
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#16 » by Dawkins » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 am

A few weeks ago he said this:

http://blog.underarmour.com/wheninrome/ ... ague-game/

I was able to spend a few hours with Ricky, he was really cool, he speaks English very well. Just like me he has a ton of energy and loves playing the game of basketball. He showed up to the media blitz with his Mom and Dad, he has really nice parents. We talked for a few minutes. It was funny because I was signing my Jersey for someone and Ricky says to me “You are left handed”. It was funny because he was already sizing me up for the game. What I noticed is that Ricky also writes with his left hand but plays the game right handed, he must have a pretty good left? All and all I was really happy to meet Ricky and look forward to being his friend for many years to come.

Now to what everyone wants to hear about, the game and the matchup with Ricky. Unfortunately Ricky only played about 8mins cause he’s still kind of hurt from a wrist injury he suffered in the Gold Medal game vs. Team USA, but in just 8mins he showed me a lot. I have a ton of respect for the dude. He’s real mature out there on the court, he has a great feel for the game. He passes the ball like crazy, reminds me of Steve Nash a little bit. Put it like this if he were in the class of 09 in high school basketball he would be the #1 player hands down. No question about it. I can only hope that when Ricky and I one day get to the NBA we can be like Chris Paul and Deron Williams, as our careers take off together like CP3 & D Will’s did. Despite what the critics say that he can’t shoot Ricky is going to be going a Great NBA player someday…he brings a complete game to the table.

-About playing against Ricky Rubio:
“It was cool. He was only playing with one hand. He’s pretty good. Not bad.”

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bra ... ings-1114/
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#17 » by Mumbles » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 am

I thought he was just hyped after getting at Flynn and Holiday in the workout. Couple that with the constant questions about his draft stock, and having to hear about Rubio..and that is what you get. He is out to prove that he worthy of a lottery pick. No nice talk now..full draft mode.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#18 » by TMU » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 am

The analogy:

Jennings : Rubio :: Shaq : Howard
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#19 » by Ayt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 am

Mumbles wrote:I thought he was just hyped after getting at Flynn and Holiday in the workout. Couple that with the constant questions about his draft stock, and having to hear about Rubio..and that is what you get. He is out to prove that he worthy of a lottery pick. No nice talk now..full draft mode.

Flapping his gums and coming off like a child probably isn't the best way to do that.
Clangus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#20 » by Clangus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 am

I don't like Jennings. Sounds like a young Marbury to me. Talking himself up, whilst knocking everyone else.

Return to NBA Draft