moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Re: OKC pick #3, Thabeet vs Harden 

Post#41 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:57 am

JediSkyWalker wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
wiff wrote:I think you are right when you say both would be a nice fit for OKC. So really come draft day OKc fans should be happy either.

However if Presti does pass on Thabeet for Harden I hope he has a plan lined up to acquire a center, because he won't be in position to draft another Center this high in the draft again. So the only way they will fill the void is a trade or free agency and Centers don't come cheap.

I think a 5 in next year's draft with pick #12 > than Thabeet at #3 in this draft. Just my $.02. I'd take Harden or DeRozan even Evans over Thabeet, a million times over.

I totally agree. I don't buy this Thabeet hype at all. Defensive bigs? Are you saying defensive bigs win you ships? Because that's not the case. The biggest standout bigs this decade has been: Shaq / Duncan dynasties. And why are those two so good? Because they are dominant on the offensive AND the defensive end. Thabeet is 50% of that and will only be 50% of that. He'll never develop a dominant offensive arsenal and will not be the player that'll lead your team to the championship.

Isn't that what guys like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green are there for? Kinda hard to have a team where every starter stands out both offensively and defensively. With Durant, Green and Westbrook I think they are fine offensively. But as far as defensively they were among the leagues worst in opponent FG% mainly because they couldn't stop opposing teams in the paint.

On the other hand, you have Harden who is a gifted scorer who can pretty much do whatever he wants. He's got a big bulky body which'll help him play down in the post against NBA 2-guards.

They also have Green and Durant who can switch to the backcourt and Durant is probably one of the most dymnamic offensive players in the NBA and should soon be in the Lebron and Kobe category in terms of offensive production. They have enough offensive players.

Not to mention this'll be the offensive system for years to come:
Westbrook's ability to drive (kick out or finish)
Harden's wet jumper (midrange-long range and a good dribble penetration)
Durant's long arms to hit the long range as well as drive it something a lot of NBA 3's can't do
Green isn't the type of player you want playing the 4 so maybe they move Durant over but this is a solid lineup for years to come.. They can always sign a defensive big (Gortat, etc) if they seriously want that 'defensive' big. There's so many of these "defensive bigs" in the league: Gortat / Diop / Dampier / Sene(lol) / etc. Do they seriously want to draft another big and try and develop him? SERIOUSLY?

Dampier, Diop, Sene? :lol: If they were seen as defensive presences then they'd be much more valuable than they are (the Knicks are seriously interesting in Gortat and they already have Sene). They are backups not someone you want to build around. And you've got about half the NBA after Gortat so if that's the plan then it'll probably end up going up in smoke.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:59 am

aboveAverage wrote:Harden reminds me a lot of Michael Redd. If he can be anything close to Michael Redd, then they should take him. That would give them a legit starting SG.

Maybe physically (not a good thing) but Harden isn't the dead eye shooter Redd is and Redd doesn't have the all around game that Harden does.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#43 » by slick_watts » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:25 am

moocow007 wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:Harden reminds me a lot of Michael Redd. If he can be anything close to Michael Redd, then they should take him. That would give them a legit starting SG.

Maybe physically (not a good thing) but Harden isn't the dead eye shooter Redd is and Redd doesn't have the all around game that Harden does.

harden shot better from 3pt range in college than redd did.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:33 am

slick_watts wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

harden shot better from 3pt range in college than redd did.

Redd in the NBA (what one would be comparing Harden to) shoots better from 3pt range (39%) than Redd in college (32%). And also need to account for the fact that the NBA 3 pt line is farther out than the college 3pt line if you are going to compare Harden to Redd.
i<3basketball
Junior
And1: 3

Post#45 » by i<3basketball » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:08 pm

It_Was_Typed wrote:Bosh ain't re-signing in OKC if you ask me.

Why wouldn't he? He and Durant would be a nasty combo and they would be on the verge of the playoffs within a year with the young talent around them. This team has tons of potential.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#46 » by Telfaire » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:28 am

Telfaire wrote:I'm offering a 3rd option...Curry. Westbrook is more of a SG IMO, him and Curry would give OKC two half-PG's who complement each other with their offensive skills.
Also, they need a guy who could make big shots next to Durant.

Wonder how that would've panned out, on and off the court (payroll-wise)
Kupt
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#47 » by Kupt » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Telfaire wrote:
Telfaire wrote:I'm offering a 3rd option...Curry. Westbrook is more of a SG IMO, him and Curry would give OKC two half-PG's who complement each other with their offensive skills.
Also, they need a guy who could make big shots next to Durant.

Wonder how that would've panned out, on and off the court (payroll-wise)

If i guess okc trades steph if he suffers those same ankle injuries with gsw. But i dint think these 2 could've developed correctly playing with each other one would've had to go

Return to NBA Draft