Is James Johnson a 3 or a 4?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Is James Johnson a 3 or a 4? 

Post#21 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:58 pm

You have to be concerned when a guy balloons up like Johnson has, especially right before the draft. I think that is where the Walker comparison comes from. He has the game of a wing, but he's too stinking fat to play on the wing. So we get the gong show instead...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#22 » by 5DOM » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:40 pm

It's looking more and more like the Raptors are going to draft JJ (if NY takes Holiday)
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#23 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Joana, would you say Johnson compares to a poor man's Jamison? 3/4 tweener, can either be a big posting up/inside SF or be a 3 point shooting PF, has generally good perimeter skills for a big. I didn't watch JJ much this year but from what I've read he sounds like he has a similar skillset
Indydave
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Indydave » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Johnson reminds me a lot of Al Harrington when he was drafted-- a 6'8"/6'9" guy that had a solid build, has good footspeed, but had more face-the-basket game than a true back-to-basket game-- even though he had the size and strength to play inside.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Joana » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:08 am

One can find lots of sensible comparisons for Johnson among virtually every offensive minded face-up 4: Jamison (JJ isn't as skilled and intelligent, but Jamison doesn't have a left hand while Johnson is almost ambidextrous and can defend the post better); Al Harrington without the attitude (it's going to be instrumental for Johnson to find the right coach and GM in order to become a better player than Harrington, because I can see him trying to play from the perimeter as much as possible, just like Harrington), David West, Big Baby Davis, Ryan Gomes... it depends a lot on how good you think Johnson is going to be.

Personally, when watching Johnson playing, with his terrific body control and balance on the ground, he reminds me of two players from the 80s: former Milwaukee Bucks and Seattle Supersonics Jack Sigma and former Mavs and Pistons Mark Aguirre.

Return to NBA Draft