Sergio Rodriguez vs. Ricky Rubio

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Sergio Rodriguez vs. Ricky Rubio 

Post#1 » by logical_art » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I did not see either player in Europe but their profiles read very similarly.

Mediocre athleticism. Good length. Mediocre shot. Great handle. Great passing. Great floor vision. Great feel.

The one advantage Rubio has is that he's two years younger than Rodriguez was when he entered the draft.

And yet, despite this nearly similar profile, Rubio is viewed as a special PG talent, a sure fire top five pick and Rodriguez was picked 27th.

Can anyone explain why Rubio is ranked so much higher than Rodriguez was when he was drafted?
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: Sergio Rodriguez vs. Ricky Rubio 

Post#2 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 pm

logical_art wrote:I did not see either player in Europe but their profiles read very similarly.

Mediocre athleticism. Good length. Mediocre shot. Great handle. Great passing. Great floor vision. Great feel.

The one advantage Rubio has is that he's two years younger than Rodriguez was when he entered the draft.

And yet, despite this nearly similar profile, Rubio is viewed as a special PG talent, a sure fire top five pick and Rodriguez was picked 27th.

Can anyone explain why Rubio is ranked so much higher than Rodriguez was when he was drafted?

Rubio is a much better ball handler, much better defender, and frankly even he's a better shooter than Sergio is. And Rubio's court vision and passing is better than Sergio's is. Sergio is what 23? Put him in the Euroleague right now and he's just an average player, if he's lucky, really that's probably being extremely generous. He would probably not even see the court if he was on a good Euroleague club.

Rubio's projection at age 23 should be far above that.
sorokii
Junior
And1: 32

Post#3 » by sorokii » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Kidd:Rubio = Jason Williams:Rodriguez
da da da da daaaaaa...
Dr IV
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Dr IV » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Rubio is a vastly superior ball handler and passer. Far more creative when driving to the hoop with both his field goal attempt AND his passes. He's a much better defender (sergio is awful), he's longer and more athletic.

Seems like a stupid question.
Vega
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#5 » by Vega » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Dr IV wrote:Rubio is a vastly superior ball handler and passer.

I completely disagree, Rodriguez's passing and ball handling skills were freakish when he entered the league. They were some of the best I'd seen on a rookie in a long time. The problem was that he couldn't shoot to save his life so teams just started sagging off him, and his defense was atrocious.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Joana » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Rubio is more talented.

He 's a better feel for the game, better instincts, better understanding of what are the needs of his team. Rodriguez can only play at the same speed. Rubio knows when to push the ball, when to slow down, when to go to the post, when there's a wing needing touches, when he needs to score, how to set up his scorers, etc.

Basically, Rodriguez is a creator. Rubio is a creator as well, but he's also a playmaker and floor-general.

Then, Rubio defends, he's bigger, rebounds and is more advanced on his ball-handling and passing.

There's a reason why Rubio beat Rodriguez to the national team spot in spite of being 5 years younger and way less experienced.
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#7 » by peja_the_legend » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Rubios better ballhandling also consists of a ridiculous amount of caries/palming violations.But he almost never gets called for them in europe(where he is treated like a star already) and definitely won't get called for them in the NBA(because they simply don't call this kind of stuff)
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#8 » by call.me.dude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Let me put it this way:

The things Sergio does well, Rubio does better or at least equally good.
And then there's Rubio's defense, size, etc.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
planaria
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#9 » by planaria » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:59 am

The same reason why Rubio was a starting in the gold medal game despite be only 17, while Rodriguez was at his home.
I love players like Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony and Tracy McGrady. Why? Just because I love basketball. Even if you don't have one in your team, you should love them, too. ;)
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#10 » by richboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:40 am

I think Sergio's passing and ball handling is being underrated. Sergio had Jkidd like vision and unreal ballhandling himself. The problem Sergio has had at the NBA level is his defense and shooting is just so bad. It is tough for him to stay on the floor and showcase his passing and ballhandling. If he improved in those areas he could be a special player. Rubio won't have the same problems on defense. He hopefully will develop his shot. He has more size than Sergio which will benfit him.

Don't count Sergio out of being something in the future. If Sergio could play 36 minutes a game he probably be right with Paul and Deron in assist per game. Him getting the defense and shooting to stay on the floor is the problem. Rubio should be able to play a lot more. Sergio would benefit playing with a team that ran up and down the floor. Ran a ton of pick n roll. Let him be who he is. The best thing in the world for either Rubio or Sergio would be to end up in New York.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
darkjedi4z
Sixth Man
And1: 47

Post#11 » by darkjedi4z » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:27 am

sorokii wrote:Kidd:Rubio = Jason Williams:Rodriguez

:thumbsup:

Return to NBA Draft