Edit:

This might be a more legit discussion:

Rubio measured out at 6-5.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Re: Rubio Has a "7 foot Wingspan" 

Post#2 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Rubio who measured at 6-foot-5 in shoes with a 6-7 ? wingspan in his Kings physical — visited with Oklahoma City representatives Saturday in Los Angeles. The Thunder, which picks third, was allowed to examine his DKV Joventut contract just as the Kings had to gain a better understanding of those particulars. The visit would appear to increase the chances of the Thunder opting for Rubio, if only because the uncertainty that loomed before the visit almost certainly meant they would go another direction.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bask ... le_easier/

I don't know why there is a question mark there, but I would assume 6'7" before 7'.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#3 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 pm

bosFcelts wrote:
Rubio who measured at 6-foot-5 in shoes with a 6-7 ? wingspan in his Kings physical — visited with Oklahoma City representatives Saturday in Los Angeles. The Thunder, which picks third, was allowed to examine his DKV Joventut contract just as the Kings had to gain a better understanding of those particulars. The visit would appear to increase the chances of the Thunder opting for Rubio, if only because the uncertainty that loomed before the visit almost certainly meant they would go another direction.

I don't know why there is a question mark there, but I would assume 6'7" before 7'.

He said the info the league has is that his wingspan is 7 feet. That's a really big discrepancy. Hmm. I will go with 6-7 because I was quite surprised when he said 7 feet.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Malinhion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:54 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:
bosFcelts wrote:

He said the info the league has is that his wingspan is 7 feet. That's a really big discrepancy. Hmm. I will go with 6-7 because I was quite surprised when he said 7 feet.

Nick Young (2007) was 6'5" with a 7'0" wingspan. Damien Wilkins (2004) was 6'4.75" with a 7'0" wingspan.

And to get really ridiculous, Fred Jones was 6'2.25" with a 7'0" wingspan in his predraft measurments.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Rubio is 6-5 

Post#5 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:00 pm

I don't remember many Euro guys w/ monster wing spans though, it's not in their deoxycleanbbqribsnuclearacid
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#6 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Yeah Rubio doesn't strike me as someone with that ridiculous of a wingspan.
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#7 » by Malinhion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't remember many Euro guys w/ monster wing spans though, it's not in their deoxycleanbbqribsnuclearacid

That's a bogus argument. We don't even have most of the wingspan measurements for euros.

But for the sake of illustration, one of the other prospects in this year's draft, Rodrigue Beaubois, is 6'2.25" in shoes with a 6'9.75" wingspan.

Rubio's arms are long. I'm not saying they're seven feet, but they very well may be.
Dr IV
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#8 » by Dr IV » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Malinhion wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't remember many Euro guys w/ monster wing spans though, it's not in their deoxycleanbbqribsnuclearacid

That's a bogus argument. We don't even have most of the wingspan measurements for euros.

But for the sake of illustration, one of the other prospects in this year's draft, Rodrigue Beaubois, is 6'2.25" in shoes with a 6'9.75" wingspan.

Rubio's arms are long. I'm not saying they're seven feet, but they very well may be.

He definitely means the 'white' euros.

It doesn't take much more than 2 minutes of film to see that rubio has a long reach.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#9 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Dr IV wrote:He definitely means the 'white' euros.

It doesn't take much more than 2 minutes of film to see that rubio has a long reach.

Dimitris Diamantidis has a 6-11.5 wingspan. He's variously listed at either 6-5 or 6-6. He's a white European player.
trk
Junior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by trk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm

bosFcelts wrote:

The question mark is there because he actually measured 6'7.75", but there was some sort of formatting error displaying the 3/4".
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#11 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Maybe it's an optical illusion like with Corey Brewer because his arms are skinny, but he definitely looks long to me. Besides, wingspan isn't necessarily indicative of arm length anyways since it takes into account shoulder width. Standing reach is far more important as far as length is concerned.
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#12 » by Malinhion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 pm

trk wrote:
bosFcelts wrote:

The question mark is there because he actually measured 6'7.75", but there was some sort of formatting error displaying the 3/4".

Okay, that makes sense. Where did you get that from?
trk
Junior

Post#13 » by trk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Malinhion wrote:
trk wrote:The question mark is there because he actually measured 6'7.75", but there was some sort of formatting error displaying the 3/4".

Okay, that makes sense. Where did you get that from?

http://newsok.com/nba-notebook/article/3379655
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#14 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:24 pm

trk wrote:
bosFcelts wrote:

Yeah, in the Google entry for the story it indicates 6-7 3/4 for his wingspan. Previous reports have said it was 6-9. So anyway, it's around 6-8. For a 6-5 guy a wingspan of 6-8 is average or just slightly below average. But Rubio measuring 6-5 was a surprise so overall those are good numbers.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#15 » by revprodeji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:09 am

further credibility to the idea that it is better for him to defend SG and let a quick athletic guard defend pgs?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#16 » by richboy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:30 am

To me a young PG shouldn't be going around defending SGs. I think a young PG should be defending the position he plays. Mainly one of the best ways to learn is by getting schooled by the best. To me Kirk Hinrich seem to almost become more a SG as his career went on because he was always guarding SGs. He never seemed to truly learn how to be a PG. I'm fine with older PGs to guard SGs. Young players should defend the players that play there spot.

Wingspan just isn't a good way to measure arm length. I would rather know what his standing reach is. He is so skinny that he may not benefit from the wide chest.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#17 » by revprodeji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:22 am

He is a 6'5 18 yr old. He is SG size without the added strength and possible height that 19-22 can bring.

In the modern NBA we really do not have point guards anymore. We have one guard that is small and guick and one guard in the 6'4-7 range. One of those guards is the playmaker that handles the ball in the halfcourt and creates tension so the defense responds. The other guard is either a scoring/slasher or shooter (or lucky both) an NBA playmaker is about decision making. Not running an offense.

I do not think there is any risk of rubio becoming too much of an offensive sg.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#18 » by richboy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:58 am

His size is irrelevant to me. To me a PG should be guarding PGs when they first enter the league. I've seen to often big PGs come into the league and be asked to guard SGs and they seem to get stuck in neutral. To me there still a big enough difference in the physical nature of one position over the other that I wouldn't want a young PG to have to deal with that. He should be guarding Steve Blake not Brandon Roy. Guarding Deron Williams not Ronnie Brewer. Guarding Steve Nash not Jason Richardson. Guarding Derek Fisher not Kobe Bryant.

Shaun Livingston came into the league and the Clippers were having him do the same thing. He was guarding SGs and was doing a pretty good job of it often. To me though Shaun came in the league looking like Jason Kidd and started looking more and more like Brent Barry.

If it was me Rubio wouldn't be guarding SGs until he truly developed as a NBA PG. I heard this same thing a year ago with Rose. To me Rose learned a lot more getting abused by Rondo than he would ever learned by running around defending Allen. That the best teaching you could get is those day in and day out battles against the elite at your position.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
illokc
Ballboy

Post#19 » by illokc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 am

His arms looks pretty long

jcldallas24
Starter

Post#20 » by jcldallas24 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 pm

Chances are he'll continue growing another 2 inches or three. Imagine a 6'8'' PG with a 7' wingspan. That would be incredible i betcha then ESPN would be comparing him to Magic just because their stature and playmaking abilities and that's al they would have in common. Magic was better at everything else. Right now i think his comparison to Maravich is way off.

Return to NBA Draft