2009 SlowForm RealGM Mock Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

2009 SlowForm RealGM Mock Draft 

Post#1 » by dice » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Starting shortly after the lottery took place, I started a mock draft that would allow each team board as a group to determine their team's selection. There were no particular time constraints on reaching a decision, thus some selections took multiple days for a frontrunner to emerge due to lack of board activity or a close call. The draft was finally completed on the official NBA draft day. Due to the length of time required, feelings of some boards have changed since their selection was made.

Here are the final results, with comments and quotes provided below certain selections:

1. Clippers - Blake Griffin PF, 20, Oklahoma City, OK
2. Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio PG, 18, Barcelona, Spain
3. Thunder - Hasheem Thabeet C, 22, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4. Kings - James Harden SG, 19, Los Angeles, CA

------A lot of boards were puzzled by this choice. The rationale was BPA/trade bait
5. Wizards* - Tyreke Evans G, 19, Chester, PA
6. Wolves - Demar DeRozan G/F, 19, Compton, CA

------"Can we quit instead? Evans and Harden were my top two choices." - john2jer
------As it turns out, john2jer will likely get his wish at #5
------"There is almost no chance we hold onto this pick come draft time" - revprodeji
7. Warriors - Jrue Holiday G, 19, Chatsworth, CA
------"The only guys I'm scared to death to pass on are off the board except Holiday. Jrue Holiday." - -bob-
------"If Hill falls to seven you can't pass him up." - oaktown
------"Hill is a role player at best." - Sid
------"...wouldn't even take [Hill] with the 7th pick? pssh..." - 5Strong
------"Blair would mop the court with Hills face." - TB
------"Should Be: DeJuan Blair - easily the BPA." - giberish
8. Knicks - Jordan Hill PF, 21, Atlanta, GA
------"It's becoming more and more obvious [Clark] is the pick as the days go by." - TheBluest
------"Hill would be a steal at this point in the draft." - Big Chan
------"Considering the amount of depth still left at guard...and the lack of front court bigs in the draft, [Hill] is the only option." - R-DAWG
------"roll the dice with Jordan Hill. Seems like a great fit for this offense." - Deeeez
------"Jordan Hill. He's obviously the BPA." - BklynKING
9. Raptors - Brandon Jennings PG, 19, Los Angeles, CA
------"ewww @ stephen curry" - zigzagzig
------"Jennings, please and thank you." - anj
------"If the draft opened up like that and we steal Jennings..." - cdel00
------"I can't believe the number of you that want Jennings. Epic bust in the making." - RapsFan
10. Bucks - DeJuan Blair PF, 20, Pittsburgh, PA
------"Hold my nose and take Curry." - paulpressey25
11. Nets - James Johnson PF, 22, Cheyenne, WY
------Earl Clark a very close second
------"Why would Blair go at 10? I am taking James Johnson every day of the week." - Preludepunk27
12. Bobcats - Terrence Williams SG, 21, Seattle, WA
13. Pacers - Stephen Curry G, 21, Charlotte, NC

------"Curry. Whether you think he fits on the team or not, he clearly has the most value here" - granger05
14. Suns - Earl Clark F, 21, Plainfield, NJ
------"Clark is a steal if out of the top 10..." - TASTIC
15. Pistons - Austin Daye F, 21, Irvine, CA
------"Austin Daye. Tons of potential." - -Smiley
------"I want Austin Daye also...could be a star" - mattyj
------"If Austin Daye is the best available, trade the pick for cash." - Liqourish
16. Bulls - Jonny Flynn PG, 20, Niagara Falls, NY
------"Flynn. I hope all the Tyler love is some cruel joke." - bdiddy
------"Flynn....I take him, let him show off a bit, and use him as trade bait down the line since he will be a very very good PG." - RyGuy
------"Hansbrough. Flynn does throw me for a loop though...." - Dak
------"[Hansbrough] would already be our best skilled power forward, and allow us to dangle Thomas in the Bosh/Amar'e trades." - bullzman
------"Hansbrough at 16 will be a complete waste of a draft pick." - Wolverine
------"It's a tragedy if we draft Hansbrough over Flynn." - theanimal
------"The need for Flynn is pretty useless. I would gladly pick Hansbrough over him. Since he fits a need more than him" - mr.ankle
------"Tyler Hansbrough...will be the new Aaron Gray." - LikeMike
------"Flynn if I could work a trade on draft day" - rozzman
------"I'd take Flynn and pack Kirk's bags for him...." - Ralph
------"Henderson wold have been my pick. I think he and Flynn are pretty close and Henderson fits better." - dynasty_maker
17. Sixers - Ty Lawson PG, 21, Clinton, MD
------"Why would you sink a pick into a PG so he can sit around and do nothing....So give me a SG upgrade Ellington is the man." - Cassidy
------"I want Flynn almost as much as rubio...that pick makes NO sense for Chicago." - tua
18. Wolves - Gerald Henderson SG, 21, Caldwell, NJ
19. Hawks - Eric Maynor PG, 22, Fayetteville, NC
20. Jazz - Jeff Teague PG, 21, Indianapolis, IN

------"Jeff Teague. No one is a particularly close second.." - sendai
------"I got to go with Mullens. Got to go with size at 20." - idajazz
------"Either Teague or Mullens are a steal right here." - Bat
------"Anyone but Mullens...please!" - UTJazzFan
------"[Mullens] has the tools to become a good player." - babyjax
------"but not the will or work ethic...the only reason he plays basketball is so he can help his mom out." - reeferman
21. Hornets - Darren Collison PG, 21, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
22. Mavericks - Marcus Thornton SG, 22, Baton Rouge, LA
23. Kings - Tyler Hansbrough PF, 23, Columbia, MO
24. Blazers - BJ Mullens C, 20, Canal Winchester, OH

------"BJ Mullins is the valu here. Put him in the D-League for 2 years and see if he ferments." - JD45
------"trade pick for 6 pack of beer" - PacificBlazer
------"How in the heck did Mullens slide to 24?" - BBen
25. Thunder - Sam Young SF, 24, Clinton, MD
26. Bulls - Wayne Ellington SG, 21, Wynnewood, PA

------"Put me down for a Budinger! He has shootability." - kyrv
------"I like Beaubois a lot at 26 no matter who we go with at 16. Could be one of the steals of the draft IMO" - theanimal
27. Grizzlies - Omri Casspi SF, 21, Yavne, Israel
------"Casspi, makes sense so we can complete our new moniker as United Nations South." - dark-child
28. Wolves - Patrick Mills PG, 20, Canberra, Australia
------"Thats right, this draft thing started when veryone but me and 2 or 3 others had a hard on for bloody Derozen, god im glad that period is over." - Vindicater
------"Yeah, DeRozan was a bad call on our part, but Henderson would be FANTASTIC at 18." - big3
29. Lakers - Chase Budinger SF, 21, Encinitas, CA
------"Chase Budinger and run like hell." - TyCobb
30. Cavaliers - Derrick Brown F, 21, Dayton, OH

*After the #5 pick was traded to Minnesota the general consensus at that board was that they too would take Evans in that slot
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Re: 2009 SlowForm RealGM Mock Draft 

Post#2 » by dice » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 pm

so which team boards were the smartest/most foolish in their thought process? clearly kings fans were off the mark
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#3 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:50 pm

I really can't see why the Grizzlies board thought the Grizzlies would take Rubio when the Grizzlies were constantly proclaiming their love to Thabeet and ESPN was saying they would take Thabeet #1.
dice
RealGM

Post#4 » by dice » Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:I really can't see why the Grizzlies board thought the Grizzlies would take Rubio when the Grizzlies were constantly proclaiming their love to Thabeet and ESPN was saying they would take Thabeet #1.

it wasn't who they thought their front office would take. it was who they as fans would take
dice
RealGM

2009 SlowForm RealGM Mock Draft recap 

Post#5 » by dice » Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm

shame someone didn't help you guys out like the wolves did in this mock. still, would the board have passed up derozan for jennings?

Starting shortly after the lottery took place, I started a mock draft that would allow each team board as a group to determine their team's selection. There were no particular time constraints on reaching a decision, thus some selections took multiple days for a frontrunner to emerge due to lack of board activity or a close call. The draft was finally completed on the official NBA draft day. Due to the length of time required, feelings of some boards have changed since their selection was made.

Here are the final results, with comments and quotes provided below certain selections:

1. Clippers - Blake Griffin PF, 20, Oklahoma City, OK
2. Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio PG, 18, Barcelona, Spain
3. Thunder - Hasheem Thabeet C, 22, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4. Kings - James Harden SG, 19, Los Angeles, CA
------A lot of boards were puzzled by this choice. The rationale was BPA/trade bait
5. Wizards* - Tyreke Evans G, 19, Chester, PA
6. Wolves - Demar DeRozan G/F, 19, Compton, CA
------"Can we quit instead? Evans and Harden were my top two choices." - john2jer
------As it turns out, john2jer will likely get his wish at #5
------"There is almost no chance we hold onto this pick come draft time" - revprodeji
7. Warriors - Jrue Holiday G, 19, Chatsworth, CA
------"The only guys I'm scared to death to pass on are off the board except Holiday. Jrue Holiday." - -bob-
------"If Hill falls to seven you can't pass him up." - oaktown
------"Hill is a role player at best." - Sid
------"...wouldn't even take [Hill] with the 7th pick? pssh..." - 5Strong
------"Blair would mop the court with Hills face." - TB
------"Should Be: DeJuan Blair - easily the BPA." - giberish
8. Knicks - Jordan Hill PF, 21, Atlanta, GA
------"It's becoming more and more obvious [Clark] is the pick as the days go by." - TheBluest
------"Hill would be a steal at this point in the draft." - Big Chan
------"Considering the amount of depth still left at guard...and the lack of front court bigs in the draft, [Hill] is the only option." - R-DAWG
------"roll the dice with Jordan Hill. Seems like a great fit for this offense." - Deeeez
------"Jordan Hill. He's obviously the BPA." - BklynKING
9. Raptors - Brandon Jennings PG, 19, Los Angeles, CA
------"ewww @ stephen curry" - zigzagzig
------"Jennings, please and thank you." - anj
------"If the draft opened up like that and we steal Jennings..." - cdel00
------"I can't believe the number of you that want Jennings. Epic bust in the making." - RapsFan

10. Bucks - DeJuan Blair PF, 20, Pittsburgh, PA
------"Hold my nose and take Curry." - paulpressey25
11. Nets - James Johnson PF, 22, Cheyenne, WY
------Earl Clark a very close second
------"Why would Blair go at 10? I am taking James Johnson every day of the week." - Preludepunk27
12. Bobcats - Terrence Williams SG, 21, Seattle, WA
13. Pacers - Stephen Curry G, 21, Charlotte, NC
------"Curry. Whether you think he fits on the team or not, he clearly has the most value here" - granger05
14. Suns - Earl Clark F, 21, Plainfield, NJ
------"Clark is a steal if out of the top 10..." - TASTIC
15. Pistons - Austin Daye F, 21, Irvine, CA
------"Austin Daye. Tons of potential." - -Smiley
------"I want Austin Daye also...could be a star" - mattyj
------"If Austin Daye is the best available, trade the pick for cash." - Liqourish
16. Bulls - Jonny Flynn PG, 20, Niagara Falls, NY
------"Flynn. I hope all the Tyler love is some cruel joke." - bdiddy
------"Flynn....I take him, let him show off a bit, and use him as trade bait down the line since he will be a very very good PG." - RyGuy
------"Hansbrough. Flynn does throw me for a loop though...." - Dak
------"[Hansbrough] would already be our best skilled power forward, and allow us to dangle Thomas in the Bosh/Amar'e trades." - bullzman
------"Hansbrough at 16 will be a complete waste of a draft pick." - Wolverine
------"It's a tragedy if we draft Hansbrough over Flynn." - theanimal
------"The need for Flynn is pretty useless. I would gladly pick Hansbrough over him. Since he fits a need more than him" - mr.ankle
------"Tyler Hansbrough...will be the new Aaron Gray." - LikeMike
------"Flynn if I could work a trade on draft day" - rozzman
------"I'd take Flynn and pack Kirk's bags for him...." - Ralph
------"Henderson wold have been my pick. I think he and Flynn are pretty close and Henderson fits better." - dynasty_maker
17. Sixers - Ty Lawson PG, 21, Clinton, MD
------"Why would you sink a pick into a PG so he can sit around and do nothing....So give me a SG upgrade Ellington is the man." - Cassidy
------"I want Flynn almost as much as rubio...that pick makes NO sense for Chicago." - tua
18. Wolves - Gerald Henderson SG, 21, Caldwell, NJ
19. Hawks - Eric Maynor PG, 22, Fayetteville, NC
20. Jazz - Jeff Teague PG, 21, Indianapolis, IN
------"Jeff Teague. No one is a particularly close second.." - sendai
------"I got to go with Mullens. Got to go with size at 20." - idajazz
------"Either Teague or Mullens are a steal right here." - Bat
------"Anyone but Mullens...please!" - UTJazzFan
------"[Mullens] has the tools to become a good player." - babyjax
------"but not the will or work ethic...the only reason he plays basketball is so he can help his mom out." - reeferman
21. Hornets - Darren Collison PG, 21, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
22. Mavericks - Marcus Thornton SG, 22, Baton Rouge, LA
23. Kings - Tyler Hansbrough PF, 23, Columbia, MO
24. Blazers - BJ Mullens C, 20, Canal Winchester, OH
------"BJ Mullins is the valu here. Put him in the D-League for 2 years and see if he ferments." - JD45
------"trade pick for 6 pack of beer" - PacificBlazer
------"How in the heck did Mullens slide to 24?" - BBen
25. Thunder - Sam Young SF, 24, Clinton, MD
26. Bulls - Wayne Ellington SG, 21, Wynnewood, PA
------"Put me down for a Budinger! He has shootability." - kyrv
------"I like Beaubois a lot at 26 no matter who we go with at 16. Could be one of the steals of the draft IMO" - theanimal
27. Grizzlies - Omri Casspi SF, 21, Yavne, Israel
------"Casspi, makes sense so we can complete our new moniker as United Nations South." - dark-child
28. Wolves - Patrick Mills PG, 20, Canberra, Australia
------"Thats right, this draft thing started when veryone but me and 2 or 3 others had a hard on for bloody Derozen, god im glad that period is over." - Vindicater
------"Yeah, DeRozan was a bad call on our part, but Henderson would be FANTASTIC at 18." - big3
29. Lakers - Chase Budinger SF, 21, Encinitas, CA
------"Chase Budinger and run like hell." - TyCobb
30. Cavaliers - Derrick Brown F, 21, Dayton, OH

*After the #5 pick was traded to Minnesota the general consensus at that board was that the Wolves too would take Evans in that slot

Return to NBA Draft