What's so Special about John Wall?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: What's so Special about John Wall? 

Post#41 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:34 am

I think he has a lot more upside then Rose and is far more advanced overall then Rose was at this point in Rose's college, albeit short, career.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#42 » by ManualRam » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:55 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think he has a lot more upside then Rose and is far more advanced overall then Rose was at this point in Rose's college, albeit short, career.

i agree.
currently trying to defend that position on the bulls board.
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#43 » by DaGoodz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm

He's a freak athlete, but he doesn't look like a PG. He had 2 assists and 7 TO's. If he shows he can play more efficient as facilitator, then he'll be a stud.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,844

Post#44 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:03 pm

DaGoodz wrote:He's a freak athlete, but he doesn't look like a PG. He had 2 assists and 7 TO's. If he shows he can play more efficient as facilitator, then he'll be a stud.

That's just one game. He's averaging over 7 assists in Calipari's offense which is pretty impressive. He's a PG all the way.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#45 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm

The main difference I see between Wall and Rose is that Wall seems like he has that "take over" mentality that Rose hasn't shown. Yeah Wall makes freshmen mistakes, but all freshmen do. Wall is the real deal, he is going to be a star in the NBA, I don't know what some of you guys are watching. Calipari said that Wall is further along at this point then both Evans and Rose were at Memphis. That says something about this kids potential.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#46 » by Cammo101 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:The main difference I see between Wall and Rose is that Wall seems like he has that "take over" mentality that Rose hasn't shown. Yeah Wall makes freshmen mistakes, but all freshmen do. Wall is the real deal, he is going to be a star in the NBA, I don't know what some of you guys are watching. Calipari said that Wall is further along at this point then both Evans and Rose were at Memphis. That says something about this kids potential.

Did you watch Rose in college? He took over games a lot down the stretch.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#47 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

He reminds me of Derrick Rose mixed with Rajon Rondo, which is scary as hell.
#JuiceIsFree
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#48 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Wade2k6 wrote:The main difference I see between Wall and Rose is that Wall seems like he has that "take over" mentality that Rose hasn't shown. Yeah Wall makes freshmen mistakes, but all freshmen do. Wall is the real deal, he is going to be a star in the NBA, I don't know what some of you guys are watching. Calipari said that Wall is further along at this point then both Evans and Rose were at Memphis. That says something about this kids potential.

Yes I did watch Rose, but I was wrong in comparing them the way I did. I was comparing Rose now to Wall in college. Rose doesn't seem to have a take over mentality (as many CHI fans have stated). He just seems more passive then Wall. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'd just prefer a PG like Wall more so then Rose. I think Wall will be the better and more dominant player in the NBA.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#49 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 pm

After last night I see the mini-Wade comparison, it's legit.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
mikemulloy
Junior
And1: 0

Post#50 » by mikemulloy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:34 pm

reminds me a lot of rondo with better scoring ability
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#51 » by Star-Lord » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 pm

After watching him again against UCONN it's pretty clear that Wall is a special prospect. If someone can't see that for themselves, I dunno what to say.

Having said that, if I was a GM, I certainly wouldn't tank for him. To be fair, there's only a few guys to ever play in the league that I would tank for.

I really believe Wall should've gone to another school. Not just because I hate UK with a passion, but because the kid, while seriously talented, is in some need of discipline. I said it after UK's first game, but Wall's assist numbers are going to be misleading all season long. Just because he's averaging higher numbers doesn't mean he's making teammates better or making the right decisions. Bottom line, he's not going to be able to physically outclass people the way he is as he gets deeper into the season, and it'll be even more true once he hits he pros. So he gets away with alot right now, because Cal has given him complete control on the floor, and because yes, he's athletic enough and strong enough to do just about anything he wants against other college kids. If he had gone to UNC like he wanted or Duke, he would've had to fit into a true system, which would've only been helpful for him moving forward.

On an interesting side note, I found this article and thought it was both telling and a bit troubling.

http://www.thestate.com/591/story/1057379.html?storylink=omni

Why does Roy Williams, one of college basketballs most respected and successful coaches stop recruiting someone whom he said was, "The best point guard prospect he's seen since Jason Kidd?"
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#52 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:13 pm

^
Because Wall's AAU coach/adviser hates Roy and WWW nudged Wall to Cal like he did Wagner, Rose and Evans.
#JuiceIsFree
nyqua11
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#53 » by nyqua11 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 pm

He's been really impressive so far. He just has to cut down on his TO's. Even with like 4+ TO's a game his A/T ratio is still over 1.
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#54 » by Star-Lord » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:49 pm

It_Was_Typed wrote:^
Because Wall's AAU coach/adviser hates Roy and WWW nudged Wall to Cal like he did Wagner, Rose and Evans.

None of those are good things, though. In fact, they send up some pretty clear red flags.
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#55 » by MaryvalesFinest » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:27 am

I don't know who said it but some college coach said he was the best PG prospect since Jason Kidd. Also watching him play you can tell he was a better player than both Rose and Evans when they played for Cal also just the name John Wall sounds like a superstars name, what's not to like? :lol:
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#56 » by alucryts » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:41 am

this kid is insane O.O just needs to do that in the NBA now !!! (stupid college rules lol)
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by alucryts » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 am

that is about the only difference between the two in their college careers. rose showed the take over in college, but in the nba POOF! he went passive. since going passive tho, he has over the last few weeks shown that he is getting the mentality. if rose continues his trend of being more aggressive, you are going to see some high 20s ppg average from him reaallllyyy soon. but, he has to KEEP doing what he has been doing. he has the talent, he needs to mentality.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#58 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 am

Cammo101 wrote:

did he really? Memphis played in Conference USA, not that many close games there. And CDR was the main go to guy down the stretch. Both Rose and CDR failed miserably against Kansas in the clutch.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by alucryts » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 am

"One would think that the breaking-and-entering charge against John Wall helped Roy Williams with the decision not to offer Wall a scholarship."

someones quote from an article. uh oh! breaking and entering is infact illegal!!! :no: :no: :no: :no: hopefully he learned from it..
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#60 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 am

The way that every year the prospects seem to be better than the year before, im pretty sure he's the greatest prospect of all time.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to NBA Draft