Austin Daye

Moderator: G R E Y

co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Austin Daye 

Post#1 » by co_laper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Our first extended look at Austin Daye last night.

29 minutes, 22 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 8-13 FG, 6-10 3PT.

I know one game doesn't mean everything, but I'm just gonna share what I see from that first game. I'm not sure we'll see another extended minutes for Daye this season, but here's hoping the Spurs create some distance againts OKC and can rest up players for the lat few games of the season.

The positives.
Just from his physique, obviously he's tall and he's long. He is listed at 6'11'', so I mean he's listed as tall as our tallest guys (Duncan, Splitter, Baynes).

And then it's clear that he can shoot. His 3 pointers seem easy for him. By that I mean he just flicks it, so clearly it's within his range. Ofcourse I won't expect him to go 6 of 10 again, but I think that's one of his actual skills.

Sean and Bill was raving about his passing, I'm not going to give him that yet. He's not Jeff Ayres bad as a passer, but I will say that Nando shown much more in the passing game than that. These passes Daye made was only good because no one expected him to be able to pass at all. Well, atleast he's not a guy who can't pass at all right?

Honestly, that's all I see. I see a lot of bad in him just by one game.

The negatives.
Despite his height and length, this is a kid that really lacks explosion. He's way too slow for someone that carries little weight. And I don't see any vertical leap from him. I think it's safe to say that quickness, speed, and the agility stuff is probably not his best attribute.

He's also way too weak. He seems skinnier than Steve Novak. None of his 6 rebounds were impressive. They were uncontested rebounds.

Also the steals and blocks aren't something that looks like will be a fixture in his game. He's not AK47. His blocks are about guys aren't expecting him to be so long. Although, the chasedown one was quite good.

--------------------------

That's about it. I don't know how many of you guys will overreact to that one game cause I'm seeing Sean Elliott hyping him up. My comparison to Daye right now is like Steve Novak. And Novak is an elite shooter. All the other things Daye has, like length and better passing and dribbling than Novak means nothing because his passing and dribbling is nothing to brag about. His best attribute right now seems to be his shooting and I'd like to see how good he shoots it.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Re: Austin Daye 

Post#2 » by Phreak50 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm

If he stays with the Spurs, he'll fill the Bonner role. Not much else really. Even Bonner sometimes tries for rebounds, tries to put the ball on the floor etc. If Daye does the same, he'll achieve the same (possibly more) than Bonner.

If he has a couple more of these games, another team will sign him and just like Gary Neal he'll be as useless (without the Spurs system) as tits on a bull.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 am

I've seen him up close alot in Detroit. He is a 12th man and that's about it guys. He is generally a nice guy but no quickness, no defense, no aggressiveness, can't jump, can't get his own shot and too weak. Worst of all, he just seems to have no desire. He takes up space basically and the only thing he is good at is spot up shooting. If anyone can find a use for him it's the Spurs but he will never be higher than the last man off the bench IMO. I would be shocked if he is back here after the season.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#4 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:41 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about a guy that went off against a team that is currently on a 25 game losing streak and left him wide open the entire time. Daye is trash and won't be in the league - let alone this team - within two years.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#5 » by co_laper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Austin Daye really needs to hit the weight room.

He's not going to suddenly become quick and fast. SF isn't his ideal position IMO. He needs to get bigger, fatter, and stronger. He has a better chance of becoming a role player in the mold of an old Rashard Lewis. A stretch four. Or just a Matt Bonner clone.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#6 » by Donald Kaufman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:34 am

It might just be his natural demeanor, but he looks uninterested in basketball in general. I don't see a lot of enthusiasm from him. Then again, I guess Kawhi has that same detached look too.

Return to San Antonio Spurs