Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

GT: Spurs vs. Mavericks 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:40 pm

When: 8:00 PM ET, April 10, 2014
Where: American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

Potential first round match up tonight and a game we need to win if want to lock up home court advantage.

Go Spurs!!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Re: GT: Spurs vs. Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Phreak50 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 am

This is harsh but Joseph is bad. He struggles to dribble the ball into the halfcourt. I honestly have no idea how he is in the league.
marcusaurelius
Junior
And1: 112

Post#3 » by marcusaurelius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:44 am

Before the year started, it was a toss up to me between Mills and Joseph. Now I believe that the Spurs just need to get rid of Joseph and move on. Look at another prospect. I would try to keep Mills for a reasonable price (maybe $3m per year for 3 years or so).
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:09 am

Phreak50 wrote:This is harsh but Joseph is bad. He struggles to dribble the ball into the halfcourt. I honestly have no idea how he is in the league.

Agreed. If he can change that and his attitude he could be a pretty good role player. I can't stand the way he's always complaining when plays don't go his way.

As for the game the starters have carried so far, we've gotten nothing from the bench.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:10 am

marcusaurelius wrote:Before the year started, it was a toss up to me between Mills and Joseph. Now I believe that the Spurs just need to get rid of Joseph and move on. Look at another prospect. I would try to keep Mills for a reasonable price (maybe $3m per year for 3 years or so).

If he takes the QO i'd give him another year to turn it around but he's been given plenty of chances.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 am

I usually don't complain about officiating but it is obviously swayed toward Dallas tonight.
Also, am I the only one who wants Dujaun Blair off the floor asap? His fat ass is flopping around all over the place because he sucks but wants to try hard against the Spurs and he has almost injured a few players with his fat flopping around....
marcusaurelius
Junior

Post#7 » by marcusaurelius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43 am

This will be a nice road win for the spurs if they don't collapse in the last minute or two. Road wins against a quality team just aren't that easy to get. I'm a little bothered by the minutes that Duncan has played.
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#8 » by SPURt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 am

Agree on CoJo. The sad part is I feel like he is one great skill away from being a strong starter on a different team. If he was a great shooter or play maker his defense would make him valuable. But he's just not good on offense at all.

Kawhi is ballin' right now!
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:55 am

And its over. Duncan and Kawhi were excellent tonight.
marcusaurelius
Junior

Post#10 » by marcusaurelius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 am

I just noticed that the Spurs play Phoenix tomorrow at home. Just a guess, but maybe he played Duncan so many minutes because he is going to sit him out tomorrow. We shall see.

I am a UTexas grad myself, so I appreciate the Spurs giving UT players a chance. It isn't that I think that Joseph is "bad". It is just that I don't believe he has shown enough (consistently) to warrant keeping him.

If he was cheap enough, maybe you give him one more year. But I would look at whoever else I could possibly get in the same price range. They are giving James a look, and I have been surprised that Pittman hasn't been able to improve enough to earn a permanent spot around the league. In my heart I have wished that Pittman would land on the Spurs and that Duncan would teach him the ropes.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 am

Joseph is our backup next year because I doubt we can afford to keep Patty Mills after the season he is having.
marcusaurelius
Junior

Post#12 » by marcusaurelius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 am

imagump1313 wrote:Joseph is our backup next year because I doubt we can afford to keep Patty Mills after the season he is having.

I agree with this. Theoretically, they should keep Mills and get rid of Joseph. However, like you said, they may not be able to afford him. Since the Spurs like "continuity" so much, they would probably keep Joseph as backup.

If Joseph doesn't improve though, I think that could be a disaster. Parker is getting older, and who knows how many games he could start missing. A solid backup is very important for a contender, and right now Joseph looks fairly questionable.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#13 » by Phreak50 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:53 am

Manu hasn't got enough in him for another year. If he retires, does that free up money for Mills? (not that I think we should be offering him more than 3m per year).

If that money is available, Mills would be silly to go elsewhere. He has improved a tonne in SA and his minutes would only increase next year.

Back on this game, was pretty scrappy at times. You can see why jump shooting only teams have no hope in this league. If the Spurs missed a few more jumpers they lose tonight. Though, I was ok with the amount of shots Mills put up and disagree with Kerr and the others suggesting he was shooting too much. The shots were there, they just weren't dropping, especially close range jumpshots and layups for Mills, an area he needs massive improvement in.

I also think Pop was purposely not showing his cards with their D on Dirk. Leonard did fine but the Spurs usually go harder at Dirk and really try to unsettle him. Not wanting to do that before a potential first round matchup is my take.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Manu hasn't got enough in him for another year. If he retires, does that free up money for Mills? (not that I think we should be offering him more than 3m per year).

If that money is available, Mills would be silly to go elsewhere. He has improved a tonne in SA and his minutes would only increase next year.

Back on this game, was pretty scrappy at times. You can see why jump shooting only teams have no hope in this league. If the Spurs missed a few more jumpers they lose tonight. Though, I was ok with the amount of shots Mills put up and disagree with Kerr and the others suggesting he was shooting too much. The shots were there, they just weren't dropping, especially close range jumpshots and layups for Mills, an area he needs massive improvement in.

I also think Pop was purposely not showing his cards with their D on Dirk. Leonard did fine but the Spurs usually go harder at Dirk and really try to unsettle him. Not wanting to do that before a potential first round matchup is my take.

Mills used to get benched constantly for not taking shots when available. This year he is taking them which is exactly what Pop wants him to do. Kerr is misinformed.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#15 » by Donald Kaufman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Great win. I was so nervous when Timmy hyper-extended his knee in the 1st. I thought it was season over for him.

One more win clinches HCA throughout, right?
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#16 » by Donald Kaufman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Phreak50 wrote:This is harsh but Joseph is bad. He struggles to dribble the ball into the halfcourt. I honestly have no idea how he is in the league.

Not harsh at all. I agree completely. I often wonder exactly what it is that he provides, aside from rest for Parker and Mills.

Return to San Antonio Spurs