Who's our breakout player this year?

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Who's our breakout player this year? 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:02 am

Last year Patty Mills came out of nowhere and became a key piece for us off the bench, the year before that Danny Green established himself as one of better 3 and D players in the league and the year before that we pulled Diaw off the scrap heap and turned him into a very useful piece for us down the stretch.

So my question is do you guys see one of our bottom of the rotation guys stepping up this year and becoming an important part of our rotation?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Re: Who's our breakout player this year? 

Post#2 » by Donald Kaufman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 am

I'm kind of hoping Baynes gets more of a chance to shine, and take minutes from Jeff Errors at the same time.

Maybe CoJo will do something special with Mills out for a while.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#3 » by co_laper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:10 pm

The consensus answer has got to be Kawhi Leonard.

Other than that, if I have to guess, I'll say Tiago Splitter. Last year he only averaged 21 minutes. 24 minutes the year before. If he somehow gets something closer to 30 minutes a game, he'll be getting more recognition.
Ginobili
Junior
And1: 19

Post#4 » by Ginobili » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Kyle Anderson is going to make a lot of GMs in this league look stupid.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Donald Kaufman wrote:I'm kind of hoping Baynes gets more of a chance to shine, and take minutes from Jeff Errors at the same time.

Maybe CoJo will do something special with Mills out for a while.

And 1 for "Jeff Errors" lol..
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 pm

I cringe when I say this, but our system is the type of system Austin Daye could thrive in if he can prove to Pop he deserves to be on the floor. Or even if he makes the roster. Those are pretty big ifs though.

Cory Joseph is in the best position to make a big difference but I just don't see that happening. I just don't think he either understands what the coaching staff wants from him or he doesn't want to do it. I think we are really going to struggle without Patty Mills and I'm afraid he's not going to be the same player he was last year when he returns.

I don't think Leonard can be classified as a breakout player any more.

I was always hopeful for Baynes but I'm about finished waiting for him to be productive. He just doesn't seem to ever improve.

Anderson seems like a good fit but I will admit i have to see more of before I have an opinion.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:52 am

imagump1313 wrote:I cringe when I say this, but our system is the type of system Austin Daye could thrive in if he can prove to Pop he deserves to be on the floor. Or even if he makes the roster. Those are pretty big ifs though.

Cory Joseph is in the best position to make a big difference but I just don't see that happening. I just don't think he either understands what the coaching staff wants from him or he doesn't want to do it. I think we are really going to struggle without Patty Mills and I'm afraid he's not going to be the same player he was last year when he returns.

I don't think Leonard can be classified as a breakout player any more.

I was always hopeful for Baynes but I'm about finished waiting for him to be productive. He just doesn't seem to ever improve.

Anderson seems like a good fit but I will admit i have to see more of before I have an opinion.

Totally agree with you on both Daye and Leonard.

I really think Daye could finally become a player this year. He showed some flashes during his brief stint in Memphis and he's got the talent to be a solid NBA player but the problem with him has always been effort/drive. But so far this preseason he's looked locked in and focused. I could see him stealing some of Marco's minutes early on.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
IlMagonellaMela
Banned User
And1: 82

Post#8 » by IlMagonellaMela » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:20 am

This

franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#9 » by franktony » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 pm

If Daye can shoot well from deep this season, he could be the breakout one easily.

I was expecting to see Joseph exploding this season, but I am not so sure anymore.

He hasn't developed an offensive game (not even a 3-pointer) to fit in Pop's system. Defensive effort alone won't be enough for him to stay in San Antonio next season.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm

franktony wrote:If Daye can shoot well from deep this season, he could be the breakout one easily.

I was expecting to see Joseph exploding this season, but I am not so sure anymore.

He hasn't developed an offensive game (not even a 3-pointer) to fit in Pop's system. Defensive effort alone won't be enough for him to stay in San Antonio next season.

I feel like Joesph would be an infinitely better player if he would just learn how to play off the ball like Patty did last year. He's not a playmaker and probably never will be and that's fine we have other guys that can fill that role. All Cory needs to do is play defense, work on his jumper and not turn the ball over.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#11 » by ChosunX » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 pm

IlMagonellaMela wrote:This

Italian tv is crazy. Very lively from what i have seen.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#12 » by Boarder Patrol » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm

It seems like every year there's 1 guy who suddenly "gets it"

In a few months time, I think many Spurs fans will be debating between putting Mills back in the rotation or keep riding CoJo. He's going to have a great year.
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#13 » by SPURt » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm really hoping Kawhi will become the player we saw in the Finals year round. Outside of that, I'm pulling for Kyle Anderson. They praise his bball IQ, that's probably the attribute most covered by the Spurs franchise. KA looked really good in preseason, if any rookie has had a shot to contribute in year 1 it'd be him.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#14 » by Donald Kaufman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:It seems like every year there's 1 guy who suddenly "gets it"

In a few months time, I think many Spurs fans will be debating between putting Mills back in the rotation or keep riding CoJo. He's going to have a great year.

Have you actually seen Joseph try to play basketball?
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#15 » by ChosunX » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:40 pm

Austin Daye as a candidate? He was servicable against the Suns.

Return to San Antonio Spurs