question 1996/97

Moderator: G R E Y

miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

question 1996/97 

Post#1 » by miltk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:15 am

what happened in that season that they dropped from 59wins to 20wins.
that has to be as big a drop as them adding 36wins the following year. i was shocked that duncan gave them a +36, until i saw the 59win season the year before and figured 96/97 was an aberration
Mogul
Junior
And1: 267

Re: question 1996/97 

Post#2 » by Mogul » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:40 pm

David Robinson had a back injury entering the season and later broke his foot when he tried to come back during the season. They also lost Sean Elliot to injury. Those were their two best players at the time. Knowing that, they conceded the season so their guys could come back the next year (with a top pick) and give it another go.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#3 » by Phreak50 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Definitely the worst memory of this franchise for me.

Not the losses, teams go through that. But the blatant tanking.

I remember Vernon Maxwell hitting 3 quick threes to start a game and getting yanked right out.

We then just let Dominique Wilkins have a million shots a game (at a nothing %) to keep him happy and help us 'not win'.

Will Perdue worked his ass off that season, he played well. Career year if I remember right.

That team leftover after the injuries, possibly wouldn't win a single game in current times and were probably overachieving with the wins they got back then, but we definitely set out to lose as many as possible.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#4 » by co_laper » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Definitely the worst memory of this franchise for me.

Not the losses, teams go through that. But the blatant tanking.

I remember Vernon Maxwell hitting 3 quick threes to start a game and getting yanked right out.

We then just let Dominique Wilkins have a million shots a game (at a nothing %) to keep him happy and help us 'not win'.

Will Perdue worked his ass off that season, he played well. Career year if I remember right.

That team leftover after the injuries, possibly wouldn't win a single game in current times and were probably overachieving with the wins they got back then, but we definitely set out to lose as many as possible.

I don't remember that.

What I recall is David Robinson and Sean Elliott injured/not available for the entire season. And when you lose your MVP and your allstar sidekick, there's really not much else that we have. We also fired Bob Hill, who at the time I really felt the firing wasn't fair because no one could've win with that situation. And we brought in an unknown guy in Pop and that was mindboggling.

Glad everything worked out though.

Return to San Antonio Spurs