Kawhi for DPOY?

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Kawhi for DPOY? 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/03/11/evaluating-the-field-for-defensive-player-of-the-year-featuring-kawhi-leonard/

Kawhi Leonard has enjoyed another stellar defensive season, further establishing himself as an elite perimeter defender and all-around nuisance. In addition to contending for his second straight selection to the All-Defense team, Leonard should also be a strong candidate for Defensive Player of the Year.

McCarney makes a pretty compelling case for him and I think if it wasn't for the his slow start, due to the eye infection and hand injury that he'd be the leading candidate right now. The fields pretty weak this year, right now i'd say Draymond Green is the front runner.

So what do you guys think? Does Kawhi have a shot at it? If not who do you see winning it?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Re: Kawhi for DPOY? 

Post#2 » by co_laper » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:33 am

Yeah, the biggest thing is that Kawhi missed too many games IMO to win it.

If I have a vote, then the DPOY should go to the best defensive player in the league's top 5 defensive team. Currently, San Antonio ranks 8th.

I would vote for Draymond Green. Best defensive player in the number 1 ranked defensive team. He deserves it.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:01 am

co_laper wrote:Yeah, the biggest thing is that Kawhi missed too many games IMO to win it.

If I have a vote, then the DPOY should go to the best defensive player in the league's top 5 defensive team. Currently, San Antonio ranks 8th.

I would vote for Draymond Green. Best defensive player in the number 1 ranked defensive team. He deserves it.

Green's a solid pick. I really really hope that Jordan doesn't get it.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#4 » by Phreak50 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Will be good to see Kawhi get some votes but I agree with the best team getting most of the awards and Green grabbing it deservedly.

(edit: I think if Kawhi can qualify, he will be leading the league in steals)

Jordan has no chance. (Well in an intelligent world anyway, not the world where Gasol won it...)
co_laper
General Manager

Post#5 » by co_laper » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 am

Phreak50 wrote:Will be good to see Kawhi get some votes but I agree with the best team getting most of the awards and Green grabbing it deservedly.

(edit: I think if Kawhi can qualify, he will be leading the league in steals)

Jordan has no chance. (Well in an intelligent world anyway, not the world where Gasol won it...)

I don't get it.

While I agree that Jordan shouldn't win, but he'd have a chance. And what's wrong with Gasol winning it?
Phreak50
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Phreak50 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 am

I just think too much emphasis is placed on defensive rebound stats. One on one, Jordan is not a great defender. And Gasol was not a popular winner at all when he won it, for similar reasons.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Phreak50 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:54 am

''He has a way of knocking it all sideways,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. ''Four steals, it felt like 10.''

Starting to think Kawhi has quite a decent chance at winning this award.
co_laper
General Manager

Post#8 » by co_laper » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:35 am

Phreak50 wrote:''He has a way of knocking it all sideways,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. ''Four steals, it felt like 10.''

I do feel that ranked 2nd should be Kawhi. I'm just not sure if he'll overtake Draymond for the award. Golden State is just having one crazy regular season. They're just freaking scary right now. They're still winning games againts desperate playoff teams playing for seeding while they have everything locked up already.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:30 pm

Phreak50 wrote:''He has a way of knocking it all sideways,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. ''Four steals, it felt like 10.''

Yeah and it seems like the national media has gotten on board with it as well.

Return to San Antonio Spurs