CoJo or Patty?

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

CoJo or Patty? 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 2, 2015 5:43 pm

Simple question who should be the back up PG?

Patty was amazing last year but he hasn't been able to regain his shooting form since the coming back from the shoulder injury.

CoJo did a great job filling in for both Patty and Parker earlier in the season and he's a stud on the defensive end, but his offense game is pretty terrible.

So who do you guys think should be the backup at this point in the season?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#2 » by co_laper » Fri Apr 3, 2015 3:40 am

Cory played well early in the season and when Patty came back, we gave Cory's minutes to Patty with the hope that he regains last year's performance. That's been 3 months where we just hope Patty regains it. Meanwhile Cory continues to play well when given chances. At this point, We should stop living in the past and hoping for him to play like last year. Cory has won the job. Patty has to earn it back. Not just handed to him. I think it's unfair to Cory. And it's arguable that this team's biggest issue this year is effort and Cory has been a dependable source of effort this year. Forget last year.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Re: CoJo or Patty? 

Post#3 » by franktony » Fri Apr 3, 2015 9:00 pm

This season, whoever is playing better.

I love Mills but he has been terrible since he got back from his injury. His shooting has gone downhill.

Mills in shape fits better our offense, but Cojo provides better defense.

Concerning the future, I am not sure if Mill fits the team without Manu, unless Kyle takes a huge step and takes over as our 2nd unit leader replacing Mr. Ginobili.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
co_laper
General Manager

Post#4 » by co_laper » Sat Apr 4, 2015 6:58 pm

franktony wrote:This season, whoever is playing better.

I love Mills but he has been terrible since he got back from his injury. His shooting has gone downhill.

Mills in shape fits better our offense, but Cojo provides better defense.

Concerning the future, I am not sure if Mill fits the team without Manu, unless Kyle takes a huge step and takes over as our 2nd unit leader replacing Mr. Ginobili.

Yeah.. future-wise, I think Cory is more of a traditional backup PG compared to Patty. Patty needs a playmaking SG next to him and it's just easier to find a SG who can shoot/score than finding a SG who is good at playmaking.
spin_cycle
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#5 » by spin_cycle » Sun Apr 5, 2015 1:00 pm

On the offense, Patty is more of a spot-up shooter. Cory is more of a ball handing PG.
Their effectiveness comes down to the lineup used.
Patty provides good spacing alongside a ball handler, like Ginobili.
Cory is a conventional PG. You want to have shooters around him like Danny Green / Bonner / Belinelli.
So, have both, and mix it up!
co_laper
General Manager

Post#6 » by co_laper » Sun Apr 5, 2015 2:03 pm

spin_cycle wrote:On the offense, Patty is more of a spot-up shooter. Cory is more of a ball handing PG.
Their effectiveness comes down to the lineup used.
Patty provides good spacing alongside a ball handler, like Ginobili.
Cory is a conventional PG. You want to have shooters around him like Danny Green / Bonner / Belinelli.
So, have both, and mix it up!

This isn't a video game. Having a consistent and regular rotation down is important. You don't want to be in a situation where we just switch it up every game or even every halves. At this point of the season, you want to have a regular 10 man rotation set.
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#7 » by SPURt » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:59 am

CoJo is way out in front of this battle right now.
co_laper
General Manager

Post#8 » by co_laper » Thu Apr 9, 2015 10:17 am

Yup.. Cojo is playing so well defensively, and he's doing just enough offensively to not be a problem, especially since Patty isn't making his shots.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#9 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 12:46 pm

For this year (whats left of it) and the playoffs its really going to depend on the defensive matchup of whoever we are playing. Both are signed through next year so going forward I would think Patty. But Cojo is a close 2nd and its a nice problem to have. Next year alot will depend upon what Cojo might be asking for in his next contract.

I stated earlier in the year that Mills was out soo long with that injury that I didn't think we would get the potential Patty we had last year back until next year. I don't think its fair to judge him on this season.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#10 » by nurseryc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:22 pm

I think last years finals win and our most recent win closes this thread. Patty is ridiculously underrated. Jesus
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,060

Post#11 » by EmperorLocky » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 am

Disappointed in the lack of faith in my little Aussie mate. Pop knows best though.

Here's hoping TP finds his form though.
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#12 » by SPURt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Patty looked great and won our last game, however he was shooting below 25% for a good portion of this season. His shoulder surgery is hard to fully recover from and Pop himself said CoJo had earned the backup point guard spot.

Hopefully the last game is a sign Patty is finally getting comfortable with his repaired shoulder. I don't care which it is at this point, I just want W's.

The real amazing part is neither player pouts about the other playing over them.
co_laper
General Manager

Post#13 » by co_laper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I still feel that Cory deserved the minutes, but this series is just a bad matchup for him. He's not going to bother Chris Paul and Paul's backup, Austin Rivers, isn't someone we need to stop. So Patty is just a better option for us this series because of his offense.

Return to San Antonio Spurs