ESPN: LMA expected to leave Portland Spurs favorite to sign him

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13145694/portland-trail-blazers-growing-belief-forward-lamarcus-aldridge-leave-team-free-agency

The Spurs, sources say, continue to be Aldridge's most likely destination.

"He has tons of respect for coach [Gregg] Popovich," one source told Broussard. "And he thinks highly of their organization and front office."

The Spurs will have to be creative with their salary structure to offer Aldridge a max deal beginning at $18.8 million while retaining stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

It's still not a sure thing but it's starting to sound like this is going to happen. Going to be a interesting week or so.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Re: ESPN: LMA expected to leave Portland Spurs favorite to sign him 

Post#2 » by SPURt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Spurs will get LMA, book it!
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#3 » by co_laper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:29 pm

If we can get either Marc/LMA/Love.. then this might possibly be the best Free Agency period the Spurs have ever had.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#4 » by Phreak50 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:35 am

Not sure why people in the other thread said this couldn't happen if Duncan came back.

I said it was actually more likely to happen if they both got to play together and that's sounding likely now.
co_laper
General Manager

Post#5 » by co_laper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:50 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Not sure why people in the other thread said this couldn't happen if Duncan came back.

I said it was actually more likely to happen if they both got to play together and that's sounding likely now.

They're wrong. It's more like.. if LMA comes and Duncan returns, Danny Green is gone.

LMA will entertain free agency. I don't think he's going to commit in July 1st with us. And whenever we do get a verbal commitment from him, we won't have enough time to find a trade partner for Splitter/Diaw. I don't think the Spurs will trade Splitter/Diaw without having commitment from a big fish. How would it look if the Spurs trade Splitter, hoping to land LMA, and LMA goes elsewhere and we're left with nothing? Duncan might as well retire because we're going to be a lot worse.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:50 am

Sounds like Pops, Duncan and Parker are all going to attend the meeting with LMA. I'm guessing Timmy wouldn't be there if he wasn't planning on returning.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
co_laper
General Manager

Post#7 » by co_laper » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:00 am

Nolan wrote:Sounds like Pops, Duncan and Parker are all going to attend the meeting with LMA. I'm guessing Timmy wouldn't be there if he wasn't planning on returning.

Agreed. This is a big sign that Tim will return. Even though articles are popping that we're the frontrunner, I question why we're listed 3rd team to meet with Aldridge behind LA and Houston. I would think that if I'm LMA and the Spurs really are my first option, I'd want to meet them first. If not, then second. I mean Houston don't even have cap space and they're ahead of us.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:35 am

co_laper wrote:
Nolan wrote:Sounds like Pops, Duncan and Parker are all going to attend the meeting with LMA. I'm guessing Timmy wouldn't be there if he wasn't planning on returning.

Agreed. This is a big sign that Tim will return. Even though articles are popping that we're the frontrunner, I question why we're listed 3rd team to meet with Aldridge behind LA and Houston. I would think that if I'm LMA and the Spurs really are my first option, I'd want to meet them first. If not, then second. I mean Houston don't even have cap space and they're ahead of us.

I dunno being the last meeting probably works in our favor, the last pitch he hears that day is more than likely going to be the one that sticks with him the most.
BigBennett2013
Junior
And1: 246

Post#9 » by BigBennett2013 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Where does he play if he signs? Center?
co_laper
General Manager

Post#10 » by co_laper » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm

BigBennett2013 wrote:Where does he play if he signs? Center?

Well, even though Duncan is listed at PF every game, he does usually guard the opposing Center. I don't know who's gonna be willing to get listed as Center because I know both don't want to be called Centers, but on the actual floor, Duncan is and has been our Center. Ever since Rasho, all of our starting Centers guard the opposing PF because Duncan is just the better rim protector than anyone we've ever had.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#11 » by BoutPractice » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Aldridge + Duncan isn't the problem, it's the solution... If Duncan is anywhere near as good as he was last year, Aldridge / Duncan could be the best front court in the league. Rim protection, spacing, offensive skills, veteran poise... what more do you want?
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#12 » by SPURt » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm starting to wish we would throw our money elsewhere. He's had months to think about this off season since they were bounced. He's getting his butt licked by hall of famers when this guy hasn't even shot a great percentage, won anything, and cries at the thought of playing the 5. Portland is better off moving on from him. Does he really need to meet the Lakers a second time? Is that really going to change something? At this point it's all ego and I'd rather the Spurs find a Spur.

I so wish Lebron, Durant, Howard, any other talented NBA player was a free agent to make the line at this STD infested glory hole a little shorter. Congrats LMA, you have the cleanest skin in this leprosy colony of a free agent class!

Before people get upset and say this is a big life decision, I get that. But I totally disagree with the Spurs acting like his talent is worth taking the best player since Jordan to a meeting only to have this reject think he is worthy. It's like being a scientist and having the chance to work with Einstein the year before he is supposed to retire. Since money isn't in the equation, you go learn from the best. Instead this dumbass is taking second meetings with Cesspools, I mean Lakers.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#13 » by SD2042 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:44 pm

co_laper wrote:

Large market cities. More TV promotions and viewships. The media still disrespect the Spurs since 2003.
MarszalA
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#14 » by MarszalA » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:11 pm

He's yours. Congrats!

Return to San Antonio Spurs