How good was corey joseph

Moderator: G R E Y

Raps199412
Freshman
And1: 31

Post#1 » by Raps199412 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:56 pm

Raptors fan here, congrats on landing LA, you guys are really looking good to win it all this year. Quick question, how much potential does corey joseph have to become a solid player and do you guys thing that he was a good pickup or rather an upgrade to what we had last year. I don't know much but 30 million seems like a lot for a guy averaging 6.8 ppg, is he worth developing, and what do you guys think of our carrol pickup
badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 359

Re: How good was corey joseph 

Post#2 » by badpotato » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:02 pm

I don't know if he's worth his current contrat, but he is servicable backup. He played competently for us when patty and tony had injury issues. You will be happier with him, than with Vasquez for sure.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#3 » by co_laper » Tue Jul 7, 2015 6:13 pm

Raps199412 wrote:Raptors fan here, congrats on landing LA, you guys are really looking good to win it all this year. Quick question, how much potential does corey joseph have to become a solid player and do you guys thing that he was a good pickup or rather an upgrade to what we had last year. I don't know much but 30 million seems like a lot for a guy averaging 6.8 ppg, is he worth developing, and what do you guys think of our carrol pickup

If you want more info on Cory Joseph, you can click here... A Raptor fans asked us what we thought of Cory.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1397835#start_here

As for potential to become a solid player, I think he already is a solid player. I mean, the first thing I think of when people ask me about Cory is actually that he's solid. He's a solid offensive player that takes good shots and doesn't turn the ball over. He's a solid defensive player that plays with energy and hustle. He's just solid all around. It's what makes him good as a backup though because he's not spectacular at anything and I don't see him as a starting caliber player now or in the future.

I wouldn't know if Cory is an upgrade to Lou Williams and Vasquez because I don't watch them much and I definitely don't watch Toronto more than twice a year (in the games we play them). But based on reputation and statistics and such, I see Lou Williams as a scoring sparkplug better than our own version (Patty Mills). I see Vasquez as the Toronto version of Manu which is the playmaker from the SG position on the 2nd unit to allow Patty/Lou Williams to focus on scoring. My guess is that on the Spurs, both Vasquez and Lou Williams will be higher on the depth chart than Cory.

I do think 30 million is a lot, but I really can't get my head on the new contracts just yet. From my calculation, I think Cory is more of a 3 mil a year type of player in the current cap. So ideally..
1st year: 3 mil (Half of MLE)
2nd year: 4.5 mil (Half of MLE in the new cap which is like 9 mil)
3rd year: 5 mil (I'm guessing a raise)
4th year: 5.5 mil
So that equals out to 4 year 18 mil type of deal that I envision him getting. At most, I'm thinking 4 year 24 mil deal so an average of 6 mil a year. He got 7.5 mil..

If we missed out on LMA and we were to just try to keep everybody, I'd say let Cory go if 7.5 mil a year is his asking price.

I like Demarre Carroll.. He fits better at SF than Terrence Ross IMO and Ross might be better suited to play SG off the bench as a scorer. I always felt like Toronto was playing 2 SGs at SG/SF.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 7:09 pm

He's an decent backup PG, definitely not worth the deal he got though.

His offensive game is really limited; he can't shoot, he's a just not a playmaker and he avoids dribbling with his off hand at all costs. He's a good defender and he doesn't turn the ball over but that's about all he is right now.

I guess if he continues to develop he could become an Avery Bradley like player minus the jumpshot.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#5 » by First Step » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:20 pm

Nolan wrote:He's an decent backup PG, definitely not worth the deal he got though.

His offensive game is really limited; he can't shoot, he's a just not a playmaker and he avoids dribbling with his off hand at all costs. He's a good defender and he doesn't turn the ball over but that's about all he is right now.

I guess if he continues to develop he could become an Avery Bradley like player minus the jumpshot.

Avery Bradley's jumper was non existent when he first came into the league.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:38 pm

I would compare his game to Rodney Stuckey. Slasher that can get to the basket but has a hard time with outside jumpers. A scorer but not a shooter if that makes sense. Not a great passer and doesn't help other players score as much as he should (distributor) Much better defender than Stuckey though.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:52 pm

First Step wrote:
Nolan wrote:He's an decent backup PG, definitely not worth the deal he got though.

Avery Bradley's jumper was non existent when he first came into the league.

Yup. But he showed signs and slowly developed it, CoJo really hasn't shown any kind of a shooting touch.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,048

Post#8 » by EmperorLocky » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:35 am

I think Corey will flourish with the Raptors. It's difficult for any player who's third string position. But he did show glimpses when called on for bigger roles throughout the year. I think he should show himself as a reliable backup, and I hope he does really well with the Raptors.
Raps199412
Freshman
And1: 31

Post#9 » by Raps199412 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:00 am

so do you guys think expecting 10-4-2 is realistic from him in the backup role ?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:02 am

Raps199412 wrote:so do you guys think expecting 10-4-2 is realistic from him in the backup role ?

Not really.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#11 » by co_laper » Thu Jul 9, 2015 5:05 am

Raps199412 wrote:so do you guys think expecting 10-4-2 is realistic from him in the backup role ?

In how many minutes?
avishek19
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#12 » by avishek19 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Think he deserved the deal he got. If we paid $6 mil a year for Vazques then Cory is definitely worth the $7.5. He might not be worth that in today's salary cap but in two years, he'll be a steal. If Carrol deserves $15 mil (I thought he was closer to 10), Cory deserves $7.5 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to San Antonio Spurs