Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Boban Marjanovic signs with Spurs 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:05 pm

http://www.eurohoops.net/2015/07/featured/109178

After a stellar break out season in Euroleague, Boban Marjanovic, as expected, is making the next step to his career by leaving Europe for the NBA. According to many reports from Serbia and as Eurohoops can confirm, his next stop will be the Spurs.

The details of the deal are expected to be announced soon, however the player himself in his recent Eurohoops interview spoke about his wish to try the NBA. Meanwhile it was a well known fact around Europe that the player was trying to get a deal in the NBA, as many top clubs tried to lure him after his year with Crvena Zvezda and they were informed about his priority.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS/status/619564637785231360[/tweet]

Can't say that I know much about him. He's a 26 year old 7'4 Serbian center, apparently he's very slow but also very strong and skilled.

His numbers in the Euroleague were pretty outstanding (16 PPG, 11RPG) and he was named to the All-Euroleague 1st team.

No idea what his contract is going to look like but it looks like we've solved our depth issue at center, now we just need a wing or two.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Boban Marjanovic signs with Spurs 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:07 pm

he is a tremendous rebounder and has improved his fluidity and moves, key to his production this season, he will struggle in pick&roll coverage and defending in space, but as a role player to bring along slowly as he adjust asnd continues to progress like he has done in the past, this is a terrific move.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#3 » by franktony » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Euroleague MVP as a backup Center? hell yeah count me in.

Dude is HUGE
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Gokey Balboa
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Gokey Balboa » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:05 pm

He's slow and can't defend p'n'r. But he has very soft hands and he's huge.

Can be 3rd center or 4/5th big in roster.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Reports are saying its one year at 2 mil. I hope he pans out. Not sure I'm comfortable with him backing up Timmy.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Gokey Balboa wrote:He's slow and can't defend p'n'r. But he has very soft hands and he's huge.

Can be 3rd center or 4/5th big in roster.

Expect lots of lobs & dunks then? :lol:
Macho
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,422

Post#7 » by Macho » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:31 pm

He has improved every single year. He is slow but he's improved his movement a lot over the last two years.

Guy will contribute.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 pm

He does seem to have improved a bit from last year. I was looking at this video from 13-14 and thinking he was terribly slow:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Qj4YjNUJw[/youtube]

But then I watched a few more and this one from 14-15 he doesn't look really quick, but he is much improved movement and aggressiveness -wise:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHS-oTeAkM[/youtube]

He has a long way to go and maybe he doesn't defend the p&r well but he certainly knows how to run it offensively from these videos. I'm interested to see him play.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:12 am

Maybe best case, he's a bigger Scola?
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#10 » by co_laper » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:03 am

I don't expect him to be backing up TD. He's likely to be our 3rd string Center because our 4 big rotation is going to be Duncan/LMA/West/Diaw.

Scouting says he's bad at defending P&R so I think his playing time will come depends on the situations, like when we're guarding a true post up Big or when TD is resting. Problem is, most teams these days run P&R and they run it a lot. It's almost becoming crucial these days that a Center needs to be able to have decent foot speed.

Also, while he's 7'3'' and looks like he's playing againts 6'8'' guys, I'm looking at his shotblocking numbers in Euroleague and it says 0.9 blocks per game. I mean.. That's not encouraging...

Cannot seem to jump, but I guess he's tall enough to not have to jump so high anyways so I hope it's a none issue.

The positive I like is that he converted over 75% of his foul shots.. And yes, he does seem to have a nice shooting touch out to the FT line. Hopefully he actually have some midrange jumpshots to his game because he doesn't look like a good P&R player.

Seems huge and strong, so it might come handy againts Dwight. Not sure who else it'll be good for because all the other non-shooting Centers mostly plays a lot of P&R and that's not what we want to see this kid defends.
Gokey Balboa
Freshman

Post#11 » by Gokey Balboa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:23 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Expect lots of lobs & dunks then? :lol:

This.
If he gets ball underneath, no way someone will stop him scoring. But, his movement we'll be a major issue.
Check how he holds champagne bottle:

:lol:
Gokey Balboa
Freshman

Post#12 » by Gokey Balboa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 am

co_laper wrote:Cannot seem to jump, but I guess he's tall enough to not have to jump so high anyways so I hope it's a none issue.

Bobi doesn't jump. He dunks from ground. :lol:

The positive I like is that he converted over 75% of his foul shots.. And yes, he does seem to have a nice shooting touch out to the FT line. Hopefully he actually have some midrange jumpshots to his game because he doesn't look like a good P&R player.

Once he had 87% from FT line in some of previous seasons. :D

Seems huge and strong, so it might come handy againts Dwight. Not sure who else it'll be good for because all the other non-shooting Centers mostly plays a lot of P&R and that's not what we want to see this kid defends.

He needs athletic PF and SF to help him defending. In team defence he's not as bad as he's in man-to-man. If Popovich can hide him from opponent's p'n'r game - than you'll get awesome addition for squad. Basically, a poor man's Sabonis.
Rockministeri
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Rockministeri » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:45 am

Big and shows some skill. Probably a very good addition giving occasional minutes against traditional centers. Sabonis...one of the most skilled big men ever (you have probably seen him at age 22 in olympics?). Gheorghe Muresan maybe...which isnt bad by means.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#14 » by HEKTOR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Is this signing official or still just speculation?
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#15 » by PZiv » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Apparently there is some problem with 500.000 $ compensation to his former club.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#16 » by PZiv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MiskoRaznatovic/status/620619486815764481[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MiskoRaznatovic/status/620613079907323904[/tweet]
Amateur Wannabe
Junior
And1: 44

Post#17 » by Amateur Wannabe » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi everyone!

Since I am Crvena zvezda fan (Red Star Belgrade), I've been watching a lot of Bobi's games, almost every game in the last 2 seasons. We used to call him a "Gentle Giant". Amazingly soft touch for such incredibly big guy. Was loved by fans and teammates, great personality and hard working player. Had a lot of issues throughout early stages of his career, troubles with knees, with his freethrows, being too soft inside, being slow on defense... he just worked his way through it, all the way to the Euroleague MVP. Speed is going to be an issue in NBA, but if anyone can hide his defficiencies, it's the Spurs. He's definitely more suited to international type of basketball, but I guess he just got bored with dominating euros :hoop:
Buzzzzzz
SPURt
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#18 » by SPURt » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm excited to see this guy! It's crazy humans can be this tall. He may be the tallest active player in the league when the season starts. I expect him to absorb what Bonner contributed next year. Aldridge will take Splitters minutes and some of Duncan's. West will take Baynes and likely some of Duncan's as well. This guy will hopefully allow more rest for West and Timmy.
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#19 » by Frankie23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:07 am

Spurs sign Bonner. Is Boban really coming?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#20 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Frankie23 wrote:Spurs sign Bonner. Is Boban really coming?

Looks like it. We'll be carrying 14.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to San Antonio Spurs