We need to talk about Tony?

Moderator: G R E Y

ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

We need to talk about Tony? 

Post#1 » by ChosunX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:41 am

Only watched an early Bosnian game and the one in which France was eliminated and...

I am sure he will look better with the Spurs chemistry and now healthy but i don't think he is the player from 2 years ago.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: We need to talk about Tony? 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the team has its concerns about Parker as well. Getting Ray McCallum and looking at a bunch of others like Delfino, Kiefer Sikes and Jimmer Ferdette tells me they want some depth at guard just in case.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#3 » by Mykhyn » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:56 pm

It's a tough spot. Tony owns our defacto international minor league team. So we can't just cut him loose. At the same time theres no way to replace him without using his salary for matching. Even then I'm not sure a Diaw + Parker package can get us a legit PG
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:07 am

Guy needs rest, can't believe that the team let him play for France this summer.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Do you guys think Patty Mills will be given more minutes this year? Without Benelli or Joseph it already seemed like to me he should be getting more minutes especially now if Parkers is fallen off. When he was playing 2 years ago before the shoulder njury he was HIGHLY productive and seemed to be getting back into form later last year and is now in the heart of his prime. No he's not a distributor but when he's with a player like Manu he doesn't need to be. Either way I think he is a starter level player, just hard to fit him into lineups.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#6 » by co_laper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:20 am

12footrim wrote:Do you guys think Patty Mills will be given more minutes this year? Without Benelli or Joseph it already seemed like to me he should be getting more minutes especially now if Parkers is fallen off. When he was playing 2 years ago before the shoulder njury he was HIGHLY productive and seemed to be getting back into form later last year and is now in the heart of his prime. No he's not a distributor but when he's with a player like Manu he doesn't need to be. Either way I think he is a starter level player, just hard to fit him into lineups.

Patty's chances on being a starter will likely depend on Kawhi's development as a perimeter player. Sadly, last year Kawhi progressed as more of a post player with him being featured more on the block so I'm not really that confident with Kawhi's perimeter game. Obviously, there is no hope on Danny Green ever having any sort of passing/dribbling game and I just think Patty needs a ballhandling SG/SF next to him. He can't be the fulltime PG if we want to be successful. Even if we have like an Evan Turner, then I think Patty can be a starter. But with Kawhi and Danny, I just can't see it at all. Cory Joseph looks better as a starter than Patty with the starting group we have.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:05 pm

It depends on how he performs in camp and plays defense, but I would think that Ray McCallum has a better chance to start at point if Parker is out for any reason. Nothing against Patty but he is just not a point guard and he is one of those type of players that is more effective in small doses off the bench. He also seems to perform his best when he is paired with Manu handling the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of Patty but not too much. He usually averages 15-19 MPG, I would be ok with 20-25 if Parker is not playing.
HoopThereItIs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by HoopThereItIs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:56 am

Hello. I'd like to introduce myself right quick. I am a Spurs fan and since I'm not allowed in the General Board for awhile I figured there was no better place so... sup?

As to the topic: For a couple years now everyone has been talking about Tony losing his quickness. I do think it's true, but the more concerning thing to me is when his jumpers aren't falling. The speed goes with age, but if he can remain a good shooter it really helps to mitigate the issue. If bigs are going to switch on to him and he isn't going to get by them he will need to at least draw them away from the hoop for fear of giving him a good look from mid range. If his mid range game is going to be as poor as it was at Eurobasket it could be a problem.

Losing Joseph was a bummer. I expect Mills to get a lot of minutes, along with McCallum. I also wonder if Pop will toy with lineups where Anderson is a ball handler at all.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#9 » by ChosunX » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:30 am

HoopThereItIs wrote:Hello. I'd like to introduce myself right quick. I am a Spurs fan and since I'm not allowed in the General Board for awhile I figured there was no better place so... sup?

As to the topic: For a couple years now everyone has been talking about Tony losing his quickness. I do think it's true, but the more concerning thing to me is when his jumpers aren't falling. The speed goes with age, but if he can remain a good shooter it really helps to mitigate the issue. If bigs are going to switch on to him and he isn't going to get by them he will need to at least draw them away from the hoop for fear of giving him a good look from mid range. If his mid range game is going to be as poor as it was at Eurobasket it could be a problem.

Losing Joseph was a bummer. I expect Mills to get a lot of minutes, along with McCallum. I also wonder if Pop will toy with lineups where Anderson is a ball handler at all.

He is a trickster, i think he can still be a very good penetrator and unconventional finisher. He just needs to get his feel for his unconventional shots around the rim back. Also the more threats on the floor the more easy for him to do his magic thing, so Aldrige helps a lot.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#10 » by LesGrossman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I believe Ricky Rubio would be the perfect successor to Tony. The spurs would develop him to full potential and he would also bring the league's best PG defense and inhuman court awareness and passing skills. Win/Win and also Win for Minny
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
BubbleBuddy
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#11 » by BubbleBuddy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:15 pm

How would minny win?
UNLEASH THE BOBAN

71% of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Kawhi Leonard.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#12 » by LesGrossman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:41 pm

BubbleBuddy wrote:How would minny win?

Some say his contract is a problem. Many complain about his lack of scoring which is a problem in Minnesota but not in San Antonio. They could get a more conventional PG and see wether that works out better for them.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#13 » by -Sammy- » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:05 am

I adore Rubio and I think he'd be a great fit here, but I don't see Minny making that move.

I know Kahn used to be really high on Ricky, though perhaps that's changed.

Return to San Antonio Spurs