Offseason Priorities

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Offseason Priorities 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm

We have a few areas of concern heading into the draft/offseason and it's going to be tough for us to address all of them with the cap space/draft picks we have.

In my opinion our three biggest weaknesses are our guard play, our bench and our rim protection.

For me improving our guard play should be priority number one. We need a SG that can consistently create off the dribble or another starter caliber PG.

So what's your number one offseason priority and how do you think we should/can address it?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
mo7888
Ballboy
And1: 23

Re: Offseason Priorities 

Post#2 » by mo7888 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 pm

#1 priority is getting an athletic shot blocker to play the C position. We also need to upgrade our bench and get younger and more athletic.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:39 pm

mo7888 wrote:#1 priority is getting an athletic shot blocker to play the C position. We also need to upgrade our bench and get younger and more athletic.

Who would you like to see us get?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
mo7888
Ballboy

Post#4 » by mo7888 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 pm

There are so many different ways we can go....I guess it depends on if TD comes back and we are trying to complement what we already have or are we taking a longer view? If TD comes back then I'm ok with names like Plumlee or Robinson. If he retires then maybe a combination of bringing over Mulutinov and moving up and drafting someone like Labissiere or Ellenson. If he retires and we don't move up for a big then late in the draft I like Damian Jones or maybe Zubac...
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#5 » by pad300 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 pm

The first thing on the list has to be KD. The opportunity to grab such a talent is extremely rare. I admit, I personally see only a 15% chance he might come to SAS, but dealing with him first won't screw anything else up. If he is willing to come, then do what we need to do to make space...

After that, I think our offseason priorities depend on who retires. If TD leaves, we need a starting center. If Manu leaves we need to do something about the bench creativity (which we need to do anyways).

With that in Mind, I am assuming 1) No KD, 2) TD for another year, 3) Manu for another year.

Against the Thunder, our bigs (beyond Aldridge) couldn't deal with theirs, and our offence was simplistic - from weak bigs and a lack of creative guard play.

I would say bigs first. Pop needs to decide if he's going to run with Boban, or if we need to sign another C. (IMO, keep Boban as 2nd C, in the alternative, sign Cole Aldrich )Then we need another C (preferably a development project - Milutinov?). Other bigs - dump Bonner, who's not giving us anything. Diaw has lost all fire and therefore should be dumped. West was decent to good last year, but he is old, not atheletic, and has opted out. A couple of PF's behind Aldridge are needed. Say Draft Yabusele? and resign West if he is cheap. Finally, when we look at a our pick and roll plays, all our bigs prefer to pick and pop. A player who rolls hard would give us a different tactical look.

I agree that another problem is our guard play. Specifically, who do we have who can drive the ball to the hoop and collapse the Defence, to play inside out. Manu and Parker are both old, and getting/have gotten bad at it. IMO A trade targets could by Tyreke Evans or George Hill (or Evan Turner as a FA).
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 pm

mo7888 wrote:There are so many different ways we can go....I guess it depends on if TD comes back and we are trying to complement what we already have or are we taking a longer view? If TD comes back then I'm ok with names like Plumlee or Robinson. If he retires then maybe a combination of bringing over Mulutinov and moving up and drafting someone like Labissiere or Ellenson. If he retires and we don't move up for a big then late in the draft I like Damian Jones or maybe Zubac...

Robinson's an interesting option, he'll be relatively cheap and he's a project but he was serious upside. Same as Plumlee.

Really like Zubac too but I think we'll have to move up for him as well.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:49 pm

pad300 wrote:The first thing on the list has to be KD. The opportunity to grab such a talent is extremely rare. I admit, I personally see only a 15% chance he might come to SAS, but dealing with him first won't screw anything else up. If he is willing to come, then do what we need to do to make space...

After that, I think our offseason priorities depend on who retires. If TD leaves, we need a starting center. If Manu leaves we need to do something about the bench creativity (which we need to do anyways).

With that in Mind, I am assuming 1) No KD, 2) TD for another year, 3) Manu for another year.

Against the Thunder, our bigs (beyond Aldridge) couldn't deal with theirs, and our offence was simplistic - from weak bigs and a lack of creative guard play.

I would say bigs first. Pop needs to decide if he's going to run with Boban, or if we need to sign another C. (IMO, keep Boban as 2nd C, in the alternative, sign Cole Aldrich )Then we need another C (preferably a development project - Milutinov?). Other bigs - dump Bonner, who's not giving us anything. Diaw has lost all fire and therefore should be dumped. West was decent to good last year, but he is old, not atheletic, and has opted out. A couple of PF's behind Aldridge are needed. Say Draft Yabusele? and resign West if he is cheap. Finally, when we look at a our pick and roll plays, all our bigs prefer to pick and pop. A player who rolls hard would give us a different tactical look.

I agree that another problem is our guard play. Specifically, who do we have who can drive the ball to the hoop and collapse the Defence, to play inside out. Manu and Parker are both old, and getting/have gotten bad at it. IMO A trade targets could by Tyreke Evans or George Hill (or Evan Turner as a FA).

Aldrich is an interesting option. He's looked really good in limited minutes over the past 2 years. He's definitely a guy that could have a breakout season if given extra minutes.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 pm

I agree that we have to look at bigs first and let the guard position play out later. Aldrich isn't my idea of athletic but if he can get a damn rebound when we need one or block a shot once in awhile I'm all for it.

Biyombo would be first on my wish list but I think he played his way into being too costly for us.
Mahinmi would be next. (maybe more affordable)
If those guys cant be had I would be interested in older players on the cheap (I said CHEAP) like Hibbert or even Dwight Howard(if he could convince Pop he wouldn't be a dick here)

Guard-wise would depend upon what we spend on a big. I'm guessing it would have to be a bargain if we land a big.
I like DJ Augustin if we keep Danny Green around and move Mills but he is too small if not.
Someone like an Evan Turner or Bazemore if we could afford it.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:19 pm

imagump1313 wrote:I agree that we have to look at bigs first and let the guard position play out later. Aldrich isn't my idea of athletic but if he can get a damn rebound when we need one or block a shot once in awhile I'm all for it.

Biyombo would be first on my wish list but I think he played his way into being too costly for us.
Mahinmi would be next. (maybe more affordable)
If those guys cant be had I would be interested in older players on the cheap (I said CHEAP) like Hibbert or even Dwight Howard(if he could convince Pop he wouldn't be a dick here)

Guard-wise would depend upon what we spend on a big. I'm guessing it would have to be a bargain if we land a big.
I like DJ Augustin if we keep Danny Green around and move Mills but he is too small if not.
Someone like an Evan Turner or Bazemore if we could afford it.

I don't know how I feel about Turner. On paper he definitely seems like a guy we would be interested in but I think he'd kinda redundant with Slo-Mo already on the roster. His lack of shooting is also a bit of a concern. But unlike Slo-Mo he's actually capable of playing guard full time which could be very useful.

Would love Bazemore though. He's a perfect fit next to Kawhi.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#10 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Would you guys consider a Diaw + Mills salary dump to the Magic, to clear up an extra $10M and put you in MAX contract territory?

(Or do you have a bunch of cap holds that would prevent this?)
mo7888
Ballboy

Post#11 » by mo7888 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Bensational wrote:Would you guys consider a Diaw + Mills salary dump to the Magic, to clear up an extra $10M and put you in MAX contract territory?

Yep
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#12 » by pad300 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Bensational wrote:Would you guys consider a Diaw + Mills salary dump to the Magic, to clear up an extra $10M and put you in MAX contract territory?

They might consider it, but they would probably want some value + capspace , not just a salary dump. Mills could assuredly bring in a pick + space by himself, and Diaw is in a position of a team option + stretch combination that would reduce his cap hit to $600K (from $7M).

Return to San Antonio Spurs