Las Vegas Summer League Notes

Moderator: G R E Y

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Las Vegas Summer League Notes 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 pm

As some of you may know, I was at Las Vegas Summer League this week and had a chance to talk to a lot of people. Unlike Orlando, where you could get a lot of time to chat, Vegas is a little more controlled. I was still able to get a few things from each team. If you want to read the notes, you can find them here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1465870

Enjoy!
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: Las Vegas Summer League Notes 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Smitty731 wrote:1. They had to bring Manu Ginobili back, but Philadelphia, and maybe Brooklyn, did force them to overpay.

2. They are in love with Ryan Arcidiacono and Bryn Forbes. They think both guys can be NBA players because of their skills. - Note: They signed both yesterday.

3. They think Jonathon Simmons can play a big role this year because of his energy and ability to get to the hoop.

4. They are a little worried about their defense without Tim Duncan, but have big plans for DeWayne Dedmon. Expect Dedmon to start with Pau Gasol as the primary big off the bench.

1. I don't think is was a surprise to many and most are good with bringing him back even at that price. It didn't hurt our cap and he played pretty well last year.

2. I think both of them are pretty far away from the NBA at the moment (Forbes is a bit closer)

3. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for this. I just hope he can play under control.

4. This I am surprised by. I think we all assumed Gasol would start but I'm good either way. It gives Leonard and LMA more opportunity to dominate the ball which they should.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:1. They had to bring Manu Ginobili back, but Philadelphia, and maybe Brooklyn, did force them to overpay.

2. They are in love with Ryan Arcidiacono and Bryn Forbes. They think both guys can be NBA players because of their skills. - Note: They signed both yesterday.

3. They think Jonathon Simmons can play a big role this year because of his energy and ability to get to the hoop.

4. They are a little worried about their defense without Tim Duncan, but have big plans for DeWayne Dedmon. Expect Dedmon to start with Pau Gasol as the primary big off the bench.

1. I don't think is was a surprise to many and most are good with bringing him back even at that price. It didn't hurt our cap and he played pretty well last year.

2. I think both of them are pretty far away from the NBA at the moment (Forbes is a bit closer)

3. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for this. I just hope he can play under control.

4. This I am surprised by. I think we all assumed Gasol would start but I'm good either way. It gives Leonard and LMA more opportunity to dominate the ball which they should.

4. That was part of it. It gives everything a little more balance both offensively and defensively.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#4 » by Chinook » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:29 am

I just wonder about if Gasol would actually agree to be benched? It makes sense for him individually. But it's not something he's had to deal with in his career.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#5 » by Nolan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:37 am

Really like the idea of Dedmon starting.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Cycloneon
Senior
And1: 717

Post#6 » by Cycloneon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:23 am

I'm surprised with the idea of Dedmon starting. So that way we have some kind of scoring off the bench.

Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge/Dedmon
Mills/Ginobili/Anderson/???/Gasol

Now that I think of it, this could benefit us a lot. Dedmon's only role would be to defend and rebound, and let leonard and aldridge handle the offense.

I just hope Gasol is fine with coming off the bench though and doesn't leave next year because of it
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Cycloneon wrote:I'm surprised with the idea of Dedmon starting. So that way we have some kind of scoring off the bench.

Now that I think of it, this could benefit us a lot. Dedmon's only role would be to defend and rebound, and let leonard and aldridge handle the offense.

I just hope Gasol is fine with coming off the bench though and doesn't leave next year because of it

It would probably be easier for Gasol to come off the bench anyways. Wouldn't have to worry as much about defending, would get more touches the only issue would be his ego and if it can handle be a super sub then it could really work well.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 am

Nolan wrote:
Cycloneon wrote:I'm surprised with the idea of Dedmon starting. So that way we have some kind of scoring off the bench.

It would probably be easier for Gasol to come off the bench anyways. Wouldn't have to worry as much about defending, would get more touches the only issue would be his ego and if it can handle be a super sub then it could really work well.

I'm pretty sure if we planned on bringing him off the bench that Pop was up front about it before he signed. I don't think it will be a problem. He knows what he's getting into.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#9 » by jptremblay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:35 am

As long as Gasol play at least 32 min a night and in clutch moments...he will be fine with coming off the bench.
And if he still has any problem, tell him that he can win easily the sixth man of the year at 36...and sure he would accept it.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#10 » by jptremblay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Any love for Jarnell Stokes?? I think he can be a solid bench player.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

jptremblay wrote:Any love for Jarnell Stokes?? I think he can be a solid bench player.

I've been a fan of him in the past but he really didn't look all that great in summer league. Would still be willing to give him a shot though.
devindixen
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#12 » by devindixen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Sorry but I don't believe the dedmon part. Maybe in the future as everyone hopes their young guys improve to the point of being starting caliber. But to say that their plan is to start dedmon this season? Bullocks. I wonder how they pitch that to gasol. We like you to come but come off the bench because we don't think you fit well with LaMarcus. Or did they keep it a secret from gasol and plan to just shock him with this? Doesn't sound like pop's way on handling things. And if the team really does see dedmon as being capable of starting games, it would've taken more than 2 years 6 mil. We might be smarter than a lot of teams, but not that smart. Dedmon's game is mostly hustle right now. Hard to imagine we have to rely on him more than 10 minutes. Likely scenario is either Pau or LaMarcus plays center with the second unit with Kawhi playing next to Kyle Anderson so that we don't get beat up on the boards. New guys always have a hard time doing well in their first year. Can't imagine this season being any different especially with the younger guys

Sent from my LG-D855 using RealGM mobile app

Return to San Antonio Spurs