CP3 to Spurs

Moderator: G R E Y

Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

CP3 to Spurs 

Post#1 » by Worm122 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 pm

There is any truth in this rumor if Mills leave the Spurs?
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Re: CP3 to Spurs 

Post#2 » by UDRIH14 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm

clippers can give him max to supermax allowed +170-200m
other teams can g ive him around +130-140m
spurs dont have much capspace, but i doubt they sign anyone above 20m a season...

thats just too m uch money to sacrifice winning a championship...take the money imo

there are 6 players on the spurs that need to be dealt off the roster...they are deadweight and havnt shown any signs of improvement
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#3 » by Nolan » Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm

If it happens i'll be very very very shocked.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
RCBuford
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#4 » by RCBuford » Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I like the thought of it, but it's also very far fetched. It would mean you blow up a 61-win team that just made it to the WCF just to get a 32-year old PG. I don't see that happening to be honest
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

RCBuford wrote:I like the thought of it, but it's also very far fetched. It would mean you blow up a 61-win team that just made it to the WCF just to get a 32-year old PG. I don't see that happening to be honest

And screw over one the faces of your franchise in the process as well.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#6 » by Sark » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 am

Think you guys would trade for Melo as well?
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#7 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:17 am

He's fantastic but he's also often injured and 32. This might actually be the season he drops off. I don't feel this is the right decision, even if the Spurs could pull this off.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Sark wrote:Think you guys would trade for Melo as well?

Nope.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#9 » by -Sammy- » Fri May 26, 2017 6:59 pm

I know it's high-risk because of his age, mileage, and injury history, but I have to confess that I'm giddy about the prospect; CP's been one of my very favorite players as long as he's been in the league, and I've always dreamed about him in SA; I haven't been this excited about a FA prospect since we tried to get one of my other all-time favorites, Jason Kidd. I trust the FO not to make a move that won't have big upside, so if they pull something off, I'm confident that it won't be an overpay.

The big concern is that CP and Leonard alone aren't enough to make us Warrior-beaters, and even with a top-shelf PG to get him shots, I don't trust LMA any longer, and since there's probably no way we can even contend for CP unless we move LMA's money anyhow, there are just a lot of moving parts that will need to be in sync for this to work, and that's assuming CP is even interested enough to leave $80mil on the table in L.A.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:I know it's high-risk because of his age, mileage, and injury history, but I have to confess that I'm giddy about the prospect; CP's been one of my very favorite players as long as he's been in the league, and I've always dreamed about him in SA; I haven't been this excited about a FA prospect since we tried to get one of my other all-time favorites, Jason Kidd. I trust the FO not to make a move that won't have big upside, so if they pull something off, I'm confident that it won't be an overpay.

The big concern is that CP and Leonard alone aren't enough to make us Warrior-beaters, and even with a top-shelf PG to get him shots, I don't trust LMA any longer, and since there's probably no way we can even contend for CP unless we move LMA's money anyhow, there are just a lot of moving parts that will need to be in sync for this to work, and that's assuming CP is even interested enough to leave $80mil on the table in L.A.

That part of it has me extremely skeptical about him coming to San Antonio. A player leaving a few million on the table is realistic a player leaving almost 100 million on the table seems a little far fetched for me.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#11 » by DarkXaero » Fri May 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Out of curiosity, how much cap space would you guys need to create to sign CP3 in FA?
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#12 » by Absinthe » Sat May 27, 2017 1:34 am

The Spurs would have to gut their team to make this happen. They'd have one of the thinnest teams in the NBA. They'd also have to shed young talent in order to make this happen.

Try to trade Aldridge. If nothing else, for salary cap space. Parker will probably retire. Manu might retire. Sign Rose as a stop gap and if he gets injured start to groom Murray as your starter.

The Spurs really should have swung for the fences and tried to trade for Anthony Davis. They probably could have traded Aldridge, Murray, and Simmons and a couple of picks and got him. Then you'd have Gasol, Anthony, Leonard, Green, Mills and they could have persuaded Parker and Manu to come back on top of having Anderson.
Cycloneon
Senior
And1: 717

Post#13 » by Cycloneon » Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 am

DarkXaero wrote:Out of curiosity, how much cap space would you guys need to create to sign CP3 in FA?

Signing CP3 would require SA to trade Aldridge, and Pau Gasol. But that's just to sign him, we're going to need to maybe trade Danny Green as well to get enough cap space to fill out the roster.. even with that it may not be too much

Paul/Murray/Parker
Green/Forbes/Hanga(overseas call up)
Leonard/Anderson
Lee/Bertans
???/???

**SA got 2 2017 draft picks to help 'em out

It can be pulled off, but that front court would be looking kinda thin
Milenkovic
Junior
And1: 601

Post#14 » by Milenkovic » Sat May 27, 2017 8:12 am

Would not strip the team's core to accommodate an ageing point guard, it's like noone has ever watched the Spurs before
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#15 » by Frankie23 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Interesting debate.

Spurs have a lot of FA: Mills, Simmons and potencially Dedmon, Lee and Gasol. Only opt out that would be great would be Gasol, but Lee and Dedmon are super cheap for their production/market value.

Of course that the contracts that you'll have to move are Danny Green and Gasol. I don't think Spurs will trade Tony Parker for a loyalty thing. It would be great if they could structure his contract better, same way they did with Richard Jefferson some years ago., but i don't know if that's even possible.
If you move Gasol, getting Dedmon signed is a must. Bringing Hanga or some other oversees rookie could be that 10 minutes eventual back up for the 2/3 position.

And i would sign Chris Paul on a 2 years contract cause he's 32.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#16 » by imagump1313 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I just really don't see this happening. Look at our offense. It was primarily Leonard controlling the ball and now we want to bring in a ball dominant PG.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#17 » by pad300 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:47 pm

People saying we have to gut the roster are wrong.
You cannot assume Tony is playing more than a backup role next year; he may not play at all. Heck, he may not recover enough to play at an NBA level again. A quadriceps tendon rupture is a serious injury. Moving or waive and stretch (with the understanding we have a spot for him in 2018), does not significantly impact the roster depth next year.
If we are looking at bringing in CP3, Mills the FA looking for a good sized contract, has no spot on the roster either (backup PG will be Murray - and a vet min level guy/Forbes at 3ed PG) - so we drop his QO.
After that you can easily have max space by moving Aldridge for space and picks. You can come very close (if Tony is waived and stretched)/have (if Tony is moved for space) space by moving Gasol for space and picks.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Nolan » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#19 » by Frankie23 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't see Spurs making major overhauls, specially because we can't compete with money/market size.
It has to be this sort of ring chasing/change the air thing that would bring CP3 for far less money than he's worth.

A swap between Pau and Millsap with LMA playing more minutes at center would improve our chances. I hope Kyle can take it to the next level being a key player off the bench with Murray being the back up point guard (we're definitely loosing Mills or Simmons).

Would be interesting if the Spurs can find a gem in the international arena
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Nolan » Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Frankie23 wrote:I don't see Spurs making major overhauls, specially because we can't compete with money/market size.
It has to be this sort of ring chasing/change the air thing that would bring CP3 for far less money than he's worth.

A swap between Pau and Millsap with LMA playing more minutes at center would improve our chances. I hope Kyle can take it to the next level being a key player off the bench with Murray being the back up point guard (we're definitely loosing Mills or Simmons).

Would be interesting if the Spurs can find a gem in the international arena

Hanaga might be that gem if he comes over. He's comparable to Simmons just a little more polished.

Return to San Antonio Spurs