Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderators: Sweezo, bennith13

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 273

Post#1 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

According to this article, the NBA is ready and willing to expand with two more teams.

But of course, it wouldn't be Seattle without any struggles or shortsighted politicians involved.

League sources say Silver has said privately that Seattle is a lock for one of the spots, unless the city itself can’t sort its arena issues. Silver has been frustrated by Seattle Mayor Ed Murray’s ducking of his calls and meeting requests.

A source divulged that Adam Silver and the league have attempted to contact the city of Seattle on multiple occasions with no call backs. The league has wanted to help push their arena efforts forward, but the city has seemingly not appeared fully invested. In the one face-to-face meeting that Seattle Mayor Ed Murray had with Adam Silver (two years ago), he was surprisingly unprepared for the basic questions that the league had asked him to prepare for and was more interested in talking about the NHL. Until recently, the city has appeared apprehensive to the league’s approaches.

The great news:
- it seems like Silver and the league really want Seattle to be back again

The bad news:
- like always, the politicians of Seattle

Reading all this stuff it wouldn't shock me to here that Murray's actually in bed with the Port of Seattle, and those other players against the SoDo project, and only wants to kill off Hansen's arena project, so they can get their hands on that land and develop it the way they want.

I mean, I wouldn't put it past them to fu** it up once again and just use that KeyArena stuff(which we're studying yet again :nonono: ) to play the delay game to once and for all kill off Hansen's arena project.
Of course, also while screwing up the Sonics fans again and have us watch two other cities being given NBA teams, while we're still debating KeyArena...

Anyways, let's hope there's any truth to the league expanding and being as interested as this article makes it sound to get us a team again. :pray:
Cactus Jack
General Manager
And1: 3,109

Re: Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm

This is great news!
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 273

Post#3 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:This is great news!

If ture, it could be.
It could also be pretty bad news, if all those things about the Mayor are true. If so, he could be one of those preventing a return of the Sonics.
Cactus Jack
General Manager

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:This is great news!

If ture, it could be.
It could also be pretty bad news, if all those things about the Mayor are true. If so, he could be one of those preventing a return of the Sonics.

I really believe that the Key Arena (AEG) talk is to our benefit. Of course the city is going to explore Key arena as an option. They almost have to politically speaking. But, in the long run its going to help bring basketball. It will either put an end to the Seattle Center/Key talk, once & for all. Or give us two legit options for the league to consider. AEG & Tim Leiweke is a legit player that brings credence as well. Even talk of Hansen/Leiweke working together to solve this. Key Arena is something that must be addressed going forward. The city knows this.

The fact that Silver is even acknowledging potential expansion on the horizon is a HUGE win for us. Something that he wouldn't even entertain in the past. This is the news, we've been waiting for years to finally hear. It puts pressure on the city to act, sure. Even potential deadlines. It should finally get the ball rolling though. We might actually be getting our team back sooner than we thought, boys! :D
"When the Seahawks won the title, I was imagining how the city would have felt with both teams here, It would have been electric. It would have been something we’ve never seen before, something no city has seen before.” -KD
Wiltside
Sophomore
And1: 200

Post#5 » by Wiltside » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Man, would so love to see the return of the Sonics. The NBA needs them back.

We recently tackled the idea of NBA expansion, including a return of basketball to Seattle and an expansion draft.

While it may be rough viewing in the early going, could you get around a team that looked like this?

https://thefourpointplayaus.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/nba-expansion-how-would-it-look/
Check out our blog on all things NBA, The Four Point Play:
https://thefourpointplay.blog
Smitty731
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 13,540

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 am

FWIW, the Louisville City Council unanimously approved a resolution today to support an NBA franchise in Louisville.
Cactus Jack
General Manager

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:47 am

Smitty731 wrote:FWIW, the Louisville City Council unanimously approved a resolution today to support an NBA franchise in Louisville.

Hmmm...
DoItALL9
Junior
And1: 90

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Louisville deserves the second franchise if the nba expands. (They shouldn't've lost their ABA franchise during the merger but that's another story)

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app
KG_Wolves
Sixth Man
And1: 183

Post#9 » by KG_Wolves » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't see how basketball survives in New Orleans, their fanbase looks about as anemic as pre 2010s Atlanta Hawks

So they are probably gonna be in Seattle is my guess
Cactus Jack
General Manager

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm

KG_Wolves wrote:I don't see how basketball survives in New Orleans, their fanbase looks about as anemic as pre 2010s Atlanta Hawks

The league wouldn't move that team. After Katrina the league has gone beyond their means to make sure that team is successful (league actually owning the team, the city has hosted All-Star games, etc.) No relocation. Expansion only.
KG_Wolves
Sixth Man
And1: 183

Post#11 » by KG_Wolves » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
KG_Wolves wrote:I don't see how basketball survives in New Orleans, their fanbase looks about as anemic as pre 2010s Atlanta Hawks

The league wouldn't move that team. After Katrina the league has gone beyond their means to make sure that team is successful (league actually owning the team, the city has hosted All-Star games, etc.) No relocation. Expansion only.

They can say that all they want, but if they continue to draw nothing it will become an issue

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball