Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Kings & Hansen saga 

Post#1 » by Det the Threat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Woj is reporting that Stern wants to get a team back to Seattle before he's retiring on Feb. 1st 2014 and that the league wants the Maloofs to sell to Hansen.

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said. He has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer's group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

From the league office, pressure on the Maloofs to sell has been growing, sources said – just as hopes for a new Sacramento arena have been fading. Seattle Sonics fans will never forgive Stern for his complicit role in Clay Bennett's deception to move that franchise to Oklahoma City, but make no mistake: Stern desperately wants to return the NBA to one of its great markets and wants it for his own measure of vindication before he leaves office.

As one source involved in the process said, "Stern has enough time to get a team back to Seattle, but he'll let Silver deal with the crowd [booing] on opening night."

NBA wants Maloofs to sell
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: NBA pressures Maloofs to sell Kings to Hanson? 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 am

It's HansEn...gotta spell our heroes name right! :-)

And I've got no comment about the Kings situation. I feel completely devastated for their fan base.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Det the Threat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

jenn_gp wrote:It's HansEn...gotta spell our heroes name right! :-)

And I've got no comment about the Kings situation. I feel completely devastated for their fan base.

Just corrected that mistake... :oops: :P

BTW: Yeah, the folks in Sacramento are going through the same thing we did and even tough I want a team back in Seattle, I wouldn't mind if it weren't an expansion instead of the Kings or another existing franchise.
Shronk
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Shronk » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:13 pm

jenn_gp wrote:It's HansEn...gotta spell our heroes name right! :-)

ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Re: NBA pressures Maloofs to sell Kings to Hansen? 

Post#5 » by ATTL » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:18 am

The Maloofs are running the Kings into the ground and pissing their fans off left and right.
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#6 » by EB2 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:56 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#7 » by a_sensei » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:04 pm

Congrats guys! I can't wait for the return of the I-5 rivalry. Sorry you get stuck with such a dysfunctional roster, but at least you can blow it up and start from new.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#8 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:21 pm

Sports radio in Seattle is exploding...I am trying to contain myself because nothing's been explicitly confirmed at this point, but man. I don't know what to do. This is very emotional for me, and a lot of other people. I couldn't be more excited.
Baby Bop
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Baby Bop » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:21 pm

Mabrouk Seattle
RIP Jerry Buss
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:39 pm

Sweezo wrote:Sports radio in Seattle is exploding...I am trying to contain myself because nothing's been explicitly confirmed at this point, but man. I don't know what to do. This is very emotional for me, and a lot of other people. I couldn't be more excited.

Yeah, it's pretty emotional and would be awesome for all the people who fought so hard for and never gave up on the Sonics.

Still, it would be bittersweet because of the great fans of Sacramento, who supported their team very well and deserve better.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:55 pm

having family in seattle and having just been there this past summer, i'm very very happy to hear this news. i text my uncle right away and he's ecstatic.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by yearsago » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:18 pm

Sweezo wrote:Sports radio in Seattle is exploding...I am trying to contain myself because nothing's been explicitly confirmed at this point, but man. I don't know what to do. This is very emotional for me, and a lot of other people. I couldn't be more excited.

This is huge...I can't believe it. Wojo is the top guy in the biz so I am jumping in.

Ian furness was talking about we are 8 months away from training camp. But we are what 3 months away from NBA Draft Lottery, and 5 months away from NBA Draft.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
Prodigy416
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Prodigy416 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:26 pm

Seattle is my favourite American city and I've never even been there. Just something about it and the people who come from there. I grew up a Raptors (hometown) and Sonics fan (Gary Payton). I am beyond excited and when the Sonics are back I'm buying a Cousins jersey. I really hope Cousins matures and becomes the cornerstone of the (potential) Seattle franchise.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#14 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:44 pm

This is awesome news! I am beyond excited. However, I think it is important to remember the way that the Sacramento King's fans are going to be feeling. I will never forget the way I felt the day I heard that OKC had bought our team, and then when the team was finally moved there was a pain there that I had only felt on a handful of occasions in my life. We do not want to be like how the OKC fans were to us in regards to the King's fans. We are capable of being excited, yet classy at the same time. Let's go Sonics!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:54 pm

Holy ****...the headline on NBA.COM is...

Breaking News

Report: Maloofs to sell Kings, move team to Seattle

If anyone was wondering if this is real, I think that cements it.

bennith13 wrote:This is awesome news! I am beyond excited. However, I think it is important to remember the way that the Sacramento King's fans are going to be feeling. I will never forget the way I felt the day I heard that OKC had bought our team, and then when the team was finally moved there was a pain there that I had only felt on a handful of occasions in my life. We do not want to be like how the OKC fans were to us in regards to the King's fans. We are capable of being excited, yet classy at the same time. Let's go Sonics!

I couldn't agree more. I would urge all Sonics fans/well-wishers to be as respectful as possible to the Kings fanbase because this is a terrible feeling. Anger, sadness, helplessness...all real and justified emotions.

One thing that did not make the Sonics' move any better was the sheer lack of any empathy whatsoever from the OKC fanbase. That is something I will never forget, and I have no desire to pile on Kings fans in any form of fashion. Taking another city's team is a lousy feeling that should be experienced by any person in this situation with a shred of human emotion. I wish an expansion team had been a possibility but in the modern NBA it was never a legitimate possibility.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by yearsago » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:59 pm

So can we talk about players right now and in the future?
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#17 » by wiff » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:00 pm

Looks like we're back!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:03 pm

yearsago wrote:So can we talk about players right now and in the future?

If I said "NO" that would be a little weird. ;)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:10 pm

Now on KJR they are indicating a Sacramento beat reporter is saying the offer was rejected by the Maloofs. *sigh* So much info right now...
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#20 » by wiff » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:14 pm

First to any and all King fans I'm sorry.

So how would reshape this team?

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball