Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#381 » by Supersonics41 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 am

wiff wrote:So the BOG vote is on the 20th right?

An announcement is expected this Friday! The committee's meet Wednesday & the board of governor's meeting taking place Thursday/Friday. Word could leak before Friday, but everyone is anticipating Friday as the day.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#382 » by ADRajX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 am

The wait for the final decision will be over soon enough... thank goodness
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#383 » by OzSonic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am

DJRajX wrote:The wait for the final decision will be over soon enough... thank goodness

I noticed Gold Coast Suns in your sig. May I ask why?
ADRajX
RealGM

Post#384 » by ADRajX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:54 pm

OzSonic wrote:
DJRajX wrote:The wait for the final decision will be over soon enough... thank goodness

Sure. About 4-5 years ago I started watching footy/Australian football. A game aired live late night on ESPN 2 randomly and I found it interesting. So I started watching it more on stream on my laptop whenever I had the chance. I decided I wanted to root for a team, but most of the teams were well rooted in 50, 60, 70+ years of rich history. I wanted a team that was fairly new to follow, since I'm a new fan. The Gold Coast Suns are an expansion franchise from a few years ago, and I've been following them ever since.

Btw I'm not Australian, I live in the U.S. Plus I don't know many folks in the U.S. that watch footy.

Pretty much everything in my sig is what I follow/cheer for (e.g., I follow James Stewart [right logo] during FIM or AMA Motocross/Supercross events.).
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#385 » by Supersonics41 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Latest article from David Aldridge, great insight! Quotes directly from owners.

One owner late last week indicated a willingness to support the Sacramento bid if the Ranadive group actually and officially puts down the same $30 million non-refundable deposit for the team that the Hansen group made in January.

"I think if they came up with the certainty of a deposit, for me, as an owner, that would be a compelling bid," said the owner, who obviously has to remain anonymous. "They're plenty capable. If they put a deposit, that makes it more compelling."

A second owner echoed that sentiment, saying that the two bids were essentially equal. He said this before the disclosure of the increased valuation of the Seattle offer was made public.

The first owner also expressed concerns about Seattle's ability to follow through on its agreement with Hansen's group to build an arena in Seattle's South of Downtown (Sodo) area, right next to where Major League Baseball's Mariners play at Safeco Field.

"This is a good group of owners," the owner said of the Hansen group. "They've stepped up. They'll build a building. But on the other hand, why didn't the city step up before?"

Another team's executive, however, favors the sale to Hansen and the move to Seattle, citing the binding deal the Maloofs made with the Hansen group.

"He has a deal that is not contingent on anything," the executive said. "But there's no basis to turn one down other than you want to move it to Seattle and we don't want you to."

The executive also said the economic and demographic dynamics are "more progressed" in Seattle.

"The work they've done already kind of speaks to the level of commitment of the group," the executive said. "If that group says they're going to do something, you can kind of rest assured that they will. If the question is what will be the best place to be for the next 25 years, it favors Seattle.

"They've got a site that's assembled and they're ready to go. They've been working on it for a year and a half. And now [in Sacramento] you've got an ownership group cobbled together, and they don't really know each other."
And all three team execs, including the Sacramento supporters, expressed concerns with keeping the Kings in Sacramento because of the revenue-sharing issue. Over the next two seasons, the amount of teams getting money is expected to nearly triple, up to $16 million annually by the time the new revenue sharing plan is fully implemented in 2014.

"The one thing that could factor in to owners in the big markets is that Sacramento is a revenue-sharing recipient," one of the owners said. "Seattle probably wouldn't be."

The executive who favors Seattle echoed that sentiment.

"The bigger markets will be moved by which city has the best likelihood of being successful, and a lower likelihood of having to be supported," the exec said.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/d ... f:nbahpt3a
OzSonic
Starter

Post#386 » by OzSonic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:24 am

DJRajX wrote:
OzSonic wrote:

Sure. About 4-5 years ago I started watching footy/Australian football. A game aired live late night on ESPN 2 randomly and I found it interesting. So I started watching it more on stream on my laptop whenever I had the chance. I decided I wanted to root for a team, but most of the teams were well rooted in 50, 60, 70+ years of rich history. I wanted a team that was fairly new to follow, since I'm a new fan. The Gold Coast Suns are an expansion franchise from a few years ago, and I've been following them ever since.

Btw I'm not Australian, I live in the U.S. Plus I don't know many folks in the U.S. that watch footy.

Pretty much everything in my sig is what I follow/cheer for (e.g., I follow James Stewart [right logo] during FIM or AMA Motocross/Supercross events.).

No offence but I hope both the expansion teams have little to no success in their existence. Both teams have been gift wrapped the best players and free agents in a market that doesn't support AFL. It's clear they want both of these teams successful and quickly because they want to eat into NRL territory. Meanwhile Tasmania, a state which loves AFL is left out in the cold.

I support the Western Bulldogs by the way. My team has been raped by the uneven Salary Cap and lost 2 very good players to the expansion clubs.

Oh BTW. Sacramento added another 2 investors. :D
ADRajX
RealGM

Post#387 » by ADRajX » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:15 pm

OzSonic wrote:
DJRajX wrote:
OzSonic wrote:

No offence but I hope both the expansion teams have little to no success in their existence. Both teams have been gift wrapped the best players and free agents in a market that doesn't support AFL. It's clear they want both of these teams successful and quickly because they want to eat into NRL territory. Meanwhile Tasmania, a state which loves AFL is left out in the cold.

I support the Western Bulldogs by the way. My team has been raped by the uneven Salary Cap and lost 2 very good players to the expansion clubs.

Oh BTW. Sacramento added another 2 investors. :D

All good. :) No worries, I'm sure GC Suns will still encounter several more Wooden Spoon awards in the near future than actually attaining winning seasons. :lol: Those first two seasons were dreadful. It'll be a long time before they get any merit and any better.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#388 » by Det the Threat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Some tweets from Chris Daniels.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 29m

RT @dakasler: Judge Klein says he will approve 7% sale of #NBAKings to Hansen notes 'there is literally no competition" from other bidders.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 4m

BREAKING: Source says Seattle City Leaders to announce formal Key Arena agreement with Chris Hansen.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m

BREAKING: Key Arena Deal between Hansen/City calls for minimum of $3 million in permanent investments, and guarantees $2m annually.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 2m

BREAKING: Key Arena Deal between Hansen/City will allow some seating upgrades, locker room, club improvements, tech upgrades.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 2m

BREAKING: Hansen had indicated to owners during league presentations earlier this month that deal was already done. This will be formal step

So Hansen got approved for those 7%, which is now awaiting approval from the NBA.
Also, being awarded this means a downpaimant of $1.5 mil by Hansen which cannot be paid back if the league votes against it.

Also, the agreement between the city and Hansen/Ballmer/Nordstrom to play at KeyArena will be announced as well.
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#389 » by 206 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Lots of smoke coming from the Sac side. But this time, there is no fire to back it up.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#390 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

No vote this week now! why!? :banghead:
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#391 » by bennith13 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 pm

This needs to end. What is the NBA doing. Neither side deserves this thing dragging out. Stern may not be a fan of anything but for those of us that are emotionally invested in some way or another this story needs to end sooner rather than later.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#392 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

bennith13 wrote:This needs to end. What is the NBA doing. Neither side deserves this thing dragging out. Stern may not be a fan of anything but for those of us that are emotionally invested in some way or another this story needs to end sooner rather than later.

Speculation is delay is over talk of expansion.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#393 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Supersonics41 wrote:
bennith13 wrote:This needs to end. What is the NBA doing. Neither side deserves this thing dragging out. Stern may not be a fan of anything but for those of us that are emotionally invested in some way or another this story needs to end sooner rather than later.

Just seems like more time to let Sacramento try to put a matching bid together IMO. But I'm confused...I've seen tweets saying McGinn confirmed Stern told him there wouldn't be a vote on relocation this week. Does that also mean no vote on the sale either? I know that seems like splitting hairs but they are two different things even if one presupposes the other.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#394 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:

Just seems like more time to let Sacramento try to put a matching bid together IMO. But I'm confused...I've seen tweets saying McGinn confirmed Stern told him there wouldn't be a vote on relocation this week. Does that also mean no vote on the sale either? I know that seems like splitting hairs but they are two different things even if one presupposes the other.

Apparently there is a 7-day delay before a recommendation is made & the official league vote. Shocked nobody knew this before. So we have to wait another week. :x
OzSonic
Starter

Post#395 » by OzSonic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 am

DJRajX wrote:All good. :) No worries, I'm sure GC Suns will still encounter several more Wooden Spoon awards in the near future than actually attaining winning seasons. :lol: Those first two seasons were dreadful. It'll be a long time before they get any merit and any better.

They'll start to show signs this season. They've got a significant home ground advantage up North due to the humid conditions which make the ball and ground slippery something they'll get used to by training there each day. You're in a much better position right now than my team is. :(

Sorry to derail but we may as well talk about something else considering we're going to be waiting another 7 days. :(
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#396 » by Det the Threat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 am

So they just now remembered that there's a bylaw that states having to wait at least 7 and most 30 days after the committees presentation to vot on this thing? :roll:

Anyways, will be an "interesting" ride going on but I think there'll be some leaks starting this weekend at the latest.
Chali2Na
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#397 » by Chali2Na » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Det the Threat wrote:So they just now remembered that there's a bylaw that states having to wait at least 7 and most 30 days after the committees presentation to vot on this thing? :roll:

Anyways, will be an "interesting" ride going on but I think there'll be some leaks starting this weekend at the latest.

To be fair, Stern never said there was going to be a vote this week, and even hinted that it wouldn't be this week. Then, the NBA announced they would have a press conference on the matter. The media just assumed that meant there'd be a vote. Once somebody actually bothered to ask a few more questions, then the NBA let it be known what their procedure is, and why Stern said there wouldn't be a vote this week.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#398 » by Supersonics41 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1h
JUST IN: Source involved in #NBAKings negotiations says Sacramento counter bid, “non-binding”, involves “no earnest money”, & does not match

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 23m
NBA BOG Chair Peter Holt- expansion not off the table.

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 10m
RT @Ryan_Lillis Stern: committee will meet again late next week, then make #NBAKings recommendation. Final BOG vote 2-3 weeks away

No vote till May! WOW!!
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#399 » by Det the Threat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 am

In may? Are they f**in insane?

Also, the Sacramento group has not matched Hansen's offer and it is nonbinding.
They also want the Maloofs to drop their agreement with Hansen before a vote takes place and would only negotiate a binding agreement with them, if they do so.

What a joke this has become...
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#400 » by Supersonics41 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 am

Det the Threat wrote:In may? Are they f**in insane?

What a joke this has become...

Couldn't have said it better myself! :(

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball